Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Opy

Razer Hydra

While I have no use for this it is still interesting.

http://au.razerzone.com/motion-sensing/razer-hydra

The Razer Hydra. $225. Pretty much the Wii for the PC, but cabled.

The following text is copied directly from the site:

"

Introducing the Razer Hydra, the world’s first PC gaming-grade motion sensing controllers that let you extend your natural body motion directly into the game. A breathtaking new way to play when you can intuitively reach out and interact with the virtual world in complete three dimensions, as you would in real life.

Faster with ultra-low latency and more precise with one-to-one tracking to the exact millimeter and degree makes this the best motion sensing for absolute game immersion.

The Razer Hydra is bundled exclusively with Portal 2, which includes the Sixense MotionPack DLC that features 6 TrueMotion levels that were specifically created for use with the Razer Hydra.

Unrivalled Precision Technology

Using magnetic motion sensing, the best available technology of its kind, the Razer Hydra’s compact base station can compute the exact location and orientation of controllers in your hands, down to a millimeter and degree. Combined with Razer-grade ultra-low latency, you get a fluid and unhindered experience that’s accurate and precise, like a mirror reflection of you in the game world.

Total Game Immersion

Play your PC games in a new way with motion sensing controllers that take you deeper into the game world by letting you interact and move in complete three dimensions. Attacking with your weapon of choice at any precise angle or throwing a grenade with the right force becomes as easy and intuitive as picking up your mobile to make a call.

Extensive PC Games Library Compatibility

Apart from Portal 2, the Razer Hydra is optimized for over 125 popular PC games right out of the box. No more waiting for scarce motion-compatible games. And with the future possibility for more downloadable game configurations and the ability to self-configure motion mapping to your specifications, the Razer Hydra is a versatile monster that plays virtually every game.

"

Never liked this kind of input device personally but good to see what appears to be a decent offering for PC gamers I suppose.

meh. i like my mouse and keyboard.

i very much doubt it'll take the world by storm.

Looks fancy but how many future games will bother implementing compatibility for this technology just for the PC? Gaming companies are already lazy and cocky enough not implementing dedicated servers or graphical options when developing PC ports.

I feel like Razor is going over the top with their success.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Mmmm. Why would i pay 230 for that when nintendo has a similar offering for less? And with some AAA titles on it?...

EDIT: Whoops my bad, just noticed it supports 125 games

Edited by Evil_Monkey

Haha, I just won one for Post of the Month

And Portal 2 is the only other game that interests me at the moment besides World of Tanks. So perfect!

I guess I need to write a review for it now )

And Portal 2 is the only other game that interests me at the moment besides World of Tanks. So perfect!

I look forward to it.

It just arrived.

I am about to go through the trauma of moving house so I don't konw when I'll get the chance to check it out.

Dammit POTM sealed for another month then. :P Edited by Mr.Twinkie

It just arrived.

I am about to go through the trauma of moving house so I don't konw when I'll get the chance to check it out.

Mail it to me, and I'll check it out for you :P~

necro!

Better than posting a new thread.....

Anyways got one of these on Saturday, I'm enjoying using it in the FPS I play and have found the transition fine and no loss of accuracy, my twitch movements are better and can recover/aim faster as well.

I'm finding my forearms and fingers get a bit sore after a long session though.

Really like the software that comes with it allowing you to set it up for any game.

It's also heaps better than what the Wiimote with motion plus can do.

Edited by PointZeroOne

How much did it cost and where did you buy it from?

I bought this one off Twents.

They're around $100 on eBay and a bit more than that from shops

Edited by PointZeroOne

Hmm, might be worth getting it then. What FPS games have you used it with so far?

I was trying it with War of the Roses and also Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

With War of the Roses I was using a specific profile I setup for it and the 'hybrid' mouse mode, so it behaved like mouse look but when I got to 80 degrees from neutral position it behaved like an analogue joystick and kept panning left or right (which worked really really well)

With Vegas 2 I wasn't using any profile specific for it and was just using the 'mouse profile' so it was behaving just like a mouse and so was using keyboard for movement.

This worked fairly well, although had to turn down in game mouse sensitivity.

I also tried it in Galaxy of Fire 2, which isn't an FPS but an arcadish ship/trading game, it work nicely in that as well.

I got one from a POTM, but unlike PointZeroOne, I don't like it, only used it for a few hours then went back to my mouse. It provides no benefit over a mouse but is much harder to use. My Hydra came with a free Portal2 and was setup to work with it right out of the box, maybe I needed to try harder or spend more time with it but it was making everything take longer and I was much less accurate overall, the levels were taking several minutes longer than the same level with a mouse.

I never tried it on anything else, and haven't used it since. Might be willing to sell if you want one.

I got one from a POTM, but unlike PointZeroOne, I don't like it, only used it for a few hours then went back to my mouse. It provides no benefit over a mouse but is much harder to use. My Hydra came with a free Portal2 and was setup to work with it right out of the box, maybe I needed to try harder or spend more time with it but it was making everything take longer and I was much less accurate overall, the levels were taking several minutes longer than the same level with a mouse.

I never tried it on anything else, and haven't used it since. Might be willing to sell if you want one.

How much you after? chuck up a thread in trademart, i nearly bid on the one pzo bought, so id be interested in yours :P