Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
alexdtree

New cards for 3/4 Quarter

hey atomicans

so we had 1 card each from nvidia and ati in the first quater this year. can we expect anytop end GPU's in the 3/4 quater of this year,

i ask mainly because i want to replace my 4890 so i can play BF3 on ultra but figured i can wait till just before release to get a card.

thanks in advance.

Meant to be 28nm radeons coming out about july-august, i'd wait for those because with a node jump of 40-28nm performance per watt should ultimately almost double.

BF3 will no doubt be like BC2 though and be a CPU whore, maybe budget to get a decent quad core chip as well?

Edited by nesquick

my guess would be the first 28nm radeons will be a budget card like back with the 4770

high end cards are anyone's guess hopefully we will know more before the end of the year

nvidia probably wont have a new high end card out this year and id say a slim chance of early next but maybe they will surprise us

my guess would be the first 28nm radeons will be a budget card like back with the 4770

high end cards are anyone's guess hopefully we will know more before the end of the year

nvidia probably wont have a new high end card out this year and id say a slim chance of early next but maybe they will surprise us

everything I have read says it will be a refresh of the current HD69x0 chip with about 3000stream processors.

everything I have read says it will be a refresh of the current HD69x0 chip with about 3000stream processors.

thats interesting

the current 69x0 was ment to be a 32-28nm chip but they had to make some sacrifices to make it fit 40nm

it would be interesting to see if they put those sacrifices back in or not whatever they were

I didn't realise they were on track to produce 28nm this early - exciting news :)

so weve seen abit more BF3's frostbite2 engine do you think a 5970 will have enough grunt to play BF3 on ultra?

^^ really too early to tell at this point. My guess would be that it'll do well, but Ultra might be a bit hard and would require you to scale back to 9/10 settings?

thats interesting

the current 69x0 was ment to be a 32-28nm chip but they had to make some sacrifices to make it fit 40nm

it would be interesting to see if they put those sacrifices back in or not whatever they were

As it turns out. Both GloFo and TSMC decided that the 32nm half node just wasn't worth it. So they went straight for 28nm.

I'd be more worried about CPU grunt above all else, if BC2 is anything to go by.

i have a -Intel Core i5-750 2.66Ghz

do you think that crossed with a 5970 would be enough for ultra?

ha just concerned cus i really wanna go hard with this game

Edited by alexdtree

I'd be more worried about CPU grunt above all else, if BC2 is anything to go by.

i have a -Intel Core i5-750 2.66Ghz

do you think that crossed with a 5970 would be enough for ultra?

ha just concerned cus i really wanna go hard with this game

You may need to O/C it, but with a bump that system should do well, yes. But it's too early to tell really.

Until system requirements for BF3 come out, nobody will know 100%.

The devs have stated, however, that no current PC built can run BF3 absolutely maxed out with a decent framerate.

Thats very disheartening. I don't think the engine is all that amazing and I doubt its 100fps better than BC2 (considering I can play BC2 maxxed with 8xaa @ 150+ FPS)

Yeah, doesn't make sense to me either, since I'm sure I've also read all the videos made have been using a single GTX580 (I think?).

Can't seem to find where I read either of these things, either... :S

Until system requirements for BF3 come out, nobody will know 100%.

The devs have stated, however, that no current PC built can run BF3 absolutely maxed out with a decent framerate.

No big deal for me, I run MP at high not ultra so I get decent framerate and minimum slowdowns. Edited by nesquick

I don't think the engine is all that amazing

so exactly what will it take to amaze you? seriously?

Frostbite 2 looks like the best game engine I've ever seen, I'm amazed that you aren't impressed.

Frostbite 2 looks like the best game engine I've ever seen, I'm amazed that you aren't impressed.

from what i have seen crysis 1 leleased 4 years ago looked better than crysis 2 so i can understand people not being all that impressed

from what i have seen crysis 1 leleased 4 years ago looked better than crysis 2 so i can understand people not being all that impressed

crysis was a PC benchmark/stress test with a game on the side though :P Edited by nesquick

crysis was a PC benchmark/stress test with a game on the side though :P

yet somehow i felt it was more worthy of a purchase for a single player game to play than crysis 2

i guess il find out if crysis 2 is a better game at the cost of graphics or not when it reaches the bargain bin

Edited by Dasa

i wish they didnt release a new video card..so i can pretend my current card is still good :)