Sign in to follow this  
rainman

Suspension of live animal exports to Indonesia

Federal Agriculture Minister Ludwig will enforce the complete suspension of live animal exports to the facilities identified by the evidence gained by Animals Australia.

"I was provided with the footage by Animals Australia less than 24 hour ago. Last night I announced the Government's initial response to the evidence from Animals Australia and the RSCPA aired on Four Corners last night,”"Minister Ludwig said.

"I have decided to halt the trade of live animals to the facilities identified by the footage. These orders will strengthen the decision I took yesterday to conduct a full investigation into the footage provided."

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-news-blog/...0531-1fdn3.html

So I guess that means a lot more cattle to be slaughtered and sold right here in Australia.

I guess that fact alone will bring down the price of beef. Or at least should.

If you haven't seen the 4 corners story can I suggest you have a look.

Yes I saw that last night (NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH!!!), I have no problems with killing animals for food, or fur but I also see no reason for the kind of prolonged torture that was demonstrated on 4 corners last night. Now I can even accept doing it all Islamic like by cutting the throat facing Mecca but lets stun the poor creatures first instead of said torture. So fair call on the ban i reckon.

"you can tell alot about a society by the way they treat their animals" (ghandi)

From the fact, someone could walk in with a camera and the people working there thought what they were doing was perfectly ... normal, I'd suggest it's more a norm than the exception.

I didn't watch it because I hate seeing animals in pain. I got the gist of it though from all the media reports.

It seems to me the beef export industry owe it to themselves to set up a 'certified humane' abbatoir in Indonesia, which all the exporters could then use free from interference.

They'd make a killing

I didn't watch it because I hate seeing animals in pain. I got the gist of it though from all the media reports.

It seems to me the beef export industry owe it to themselves to set up a 'certified humane' abbatoir in Indonesia, which all the exporters could then use free from interference.

They'd make a killing

That was part of the story, apparantly they have put equipment and training and inspections to ensure that things are done a bit more humanely...didn't make much difference though. Oh well, a sale is a sale I guess.

The cattlemen who breed the poor cattle must feel trapped. They need to sell their stock but they know what's going to happen to their stock but can't really fix the problem. You can't change hundreds of years of tradition overnight.

I've seen one of the ships moving those cattle to Indonesia since Darwin is exit point for these cattle. Those ships are huge and very packed.

Edited by Jeruselem

Suspension only to the identified abattoirs, and a review of the whole system.

I imagine that there are quite a large number of Indonesian abattoirs that will still operate and bring themselves up to an acceptable standard by reviews end.

The cattlemen who breed the poor cattle must feel trapped. They need to sell their stock but they know what's going to happen to their stock but can't really fix the problem. You can't change hundreds of years of tradition overnight.

Sell it locally, I'd love to be able to buy steak every night, but at $20 -$30 a kilo I refuse to.

Flooding the market with local product should mean my steak price per kilo would drop.

I'm sickened by the video, but I'm not surprised.

Guys, this is a third world country effectively. What did you expect?

A little humanity?

They can stun the cattle and then kill it but ... it's not Islamic so they do not want to do that either. So it's better to the poor beasts to bleed to death SLOWLY apparently

Edited by Jeruselem

A little humanity?

In a third world country?

Hey just cos they're poor doesn't mean they have to be cruel as well...does it?

Sell it locally, I'd love to be able to buy steak every night, but at $20 -$30 a kilo I refuse to.

Flooding the market with local product should mean my steak price per kilo would drop.

As much as that sounds like a good idea and I would love a cheap steak too. Unfortunately, Australia can only consume ~30% of what we produce annualy. Therefore, flooding the local market with more meat will only increase the potential for more unsold/wasted product. That is why there is an export market for our meat industry and the cattlemen can continue to make their money.

A little humanity?

You haven't seen how they treat humanity some parts of Indonesia, I gather : p.

A little humanity?

Third world doesn't just relate to wealth.

This is an Islamic country AND a poor one AND with a poor record on human rights AND with a democracy barely 20 years old AND with corruption so rife that there's probably a bigger market in the black economy than in the legit one.

Animals come a very distant last on the rights and humane treatment ladder...

It also seems Australia has known about this "issue" for a while now.

Only really looking into it after the media got hold of the facts. We may bag out the media from time to time but moments like this makes me appriciate the work they can do.

To do that story as well as they did, I take my hat off to the ABC.

I see.

I think they need Jesus in that case. ;)

They've got Muhammed. He was an all right bloke (may or may not be true according to nine-year old girls and Jews)

Where are you buying your beef, you can get whole rumps easily for 6-7 dollars a kilo, and even premium cuts for sub $20, if you buying from woolies/coles your doing it wrong and deserve to be rorted.

Where are you buying your beef, you can get whole rumps easily for 6-7 dollars a kilo, and even premium cuts for sub $20, if you buying from woolies/coles your doing it wrong and deserve to be rorted.

Eye fillet is definately NOT $6-$7 a kilo. Cheap nasty meat maybe, but not the stuff i eat. Not the good stuff.

Yeah we get ours from the local guy that sells non hormone/antibiotic meats, costs a bit more but well worth it IMO.

The hot meat market has always been contentious, especially to Muslim countries, the way sheep are treated in the Middle East, let alone on the ships is similarly barbaric.

When in the 70s beef went down to 20c a kilo on the hoof it was even economic to fly cattle to Brunei, but they were humanely slaughtered, at the order of the Sultan.

Cheers

A little humanity?

True but i don't think they are trying to be cruel, it may be more a case of education etc.

I doubt the guys are thinking "I'm a fuck this cow up" they are just following their process they are told to do given the resources they have.