Just a note, I was plugging in all my old HDD's the other day to copy stuff onto my new pile of WD Black 1tbs and one of them would click a bit, delay bios screen and windows load screen, basically fisting itself and wouldn't be recognised... Then made more random sounds...

I wanted my stuff off it, so I jammed it in the freezer for a couple of days, plugged it in just now..

It works fine, spinning away, copying 260Gb of shit @50 meg a second (respectable for an old 320Gb, much faster than those POS WD Elements External HDD)

Resurrection with a freezer ftw =D

This worked for anyone else? This seemed a funner method than dropping it on the floor until it worked.

It's actually the first thing I try when trying to retrieve data from a clicking drive.

yep done it once. I had to throw mine in the freezer multiple times to get all of the data off it.

I've never had the need to try until now, possibly the coolest thing ever

Pun intended?

With Morgy? Definitely.

:-)

i had a WD drive go bananas on me click whir and grind.

I found holding it upside down made the noises stop, and it recognised. But when i started imaging with acronis (as acronis will detect and try fix the bad sectors) it kept stopping "block X unreadable" I grabbed a rubber mallet and tapped the side *CLICK RETRY* copy copy copy.

and so on.

Every bit of data came off that drive and was A-OK.

i used to have a few of the old 500mb double bay hdd's and sometimes i would have to give on of the a few taps to make it spin up when i first started the computer.

Back then i thought i would never fill them up, but now a damn game can be nearly 30,000mb.

Had a 250 die in the arse not long back. Freezer trick didn't work sadly :(

But yeah, usually the first port of call for a dying drive.

Cool thing huh? I also heard one of my friends before telling me that when his HDD fails, he tosses it into the freezer for 30 mins and it'll work. I doubt it though. But it seems really a cool thing to try, will try this when my HDD fails... lol

Tried it once - didn't work in that instance.

Still a useful tactic of last resort to keep in the back of your mind though.