michael.jenkin

The most aweful noise in the world ...

In my rush to get to work today, I dropped a camera, lens first, down onto Cement. It feel about 1 meter and landed with a crunch then bounced base first under my car into a puddle.

It actually dug a cut into the cement with the lens filter ring. I felt sick.

Now I will tell you it was a Canon 5D with a Canon L series TS-E 24mm attached and fell head first onto the focus ring. Yes, I still feel sick.

The obvious damage, the lens cap is cracked, a goner. The filter ring on the lens is bashed back a little and the lens filter screw in on the end is no longer 100% round.

I checked the lens over and I see no further damage and nothing rattles (Thank goodness). I squeezed off a few shots, tried the focus ring (still has a smooth action) and checked the tilt and shift.

I have checked out the photos since and they all look ok. Either I have been very lucky or the lens will fall apart another day :)

I can't see the dented filter ring in the photos so it is not dented back far enough. Any ideas on what kind of damage doing this could do ? Any ideas on what I can do with the lens and camera to fully check it out ?

I have tried the camera at both extremes of focus, tried tilt up/down and shift + swivel. I have also tried zooming in on the final pictures and they look fine.

I know the L series lens and 5D body are made to bounce ... but on cement ?

Maybe I should go out and buy a lottery ticket. going off this as an example, I would not win first prize but I feel like I could win the second or third ... with my partial luck:)

Ouch man...doing that is something I have been dreading for ages, since I am known to drop stuff.

Closest I cam with my D80 and 18-200mm VR was I had it on my PC desk, with the strap hanging down. I forgot about it, and when I got up out of the chair later, my knee caught the strap and it dragged my camera off the bench,

Thankfully I was quick enough to put my foot under the camera at ground level as it fell, so it rolled off my foot onto the tiled floor. Not a dent or anything. Phew!

L series lens eh? How much we talking about there?

The TS-E 24mm II sells for around $2,400 without the lens hood. Trust me, my wallet wanted to commit suicide.

http://canon.com.au/en-au/Pro-Photography/...m-f3-5L-II-Lens

This tilt image (fake miniature) does not show anything worrying and the lens was always manual focus so I think I am ok.

Posted Image

P.S it is meant to be fuzzy, it adds to the illusion :)

Edited by michael.jenkin

The TS-E 24mm II sells for around $2,400 without the lens hood. Trust me, my wallet wanted to commit suicide

Insurance? Admit to letting the bottom plate of my D200 hit concrete in Seville once without too much happening but sometime later noticed a small crack starting to work its way across the LCD on the back. To date it hasn't travelled far and certainly not so far as to need to be replaced, just encroaches on the field of view.

Insurance? Admit to letting the bottom plate of my D200 hit concrete in Seville once without too much happening but sometime later noticed a small crack starting to work its way across the LCD on the back. To date it hasn't travelled far and certainly not so far as to need to be replaced, just encroaches on the field of view.

There's an idea. Insurance. Why is that not the first thought that crossed my mind ?

We all have a lot of $$$ wrapped up in small and reasonably fragile equipment. I guess at some stage each of us will feel this sence of dread and uncertainty.

Especially as I bought the lens ... last friday :(

Brand new 24mm tilt shift? O-o I'd spew as well.

Considering the lens took the first impact I don't reckon there'd be anything wrong with the body, assuming you pulled it out of the puddle quickly.

As the lens still works I'd consider yourself fairly lucky on that point. I'd get insurance for it now and if it falls apart tomorrow I'd claim it ;)

But then again, I'm dodgy.

On a side note does anyone know if camera insurance will cover me if I go overseas?

-X

On a side note does anyone know if camera insurance will cover me if I go overseas?

-X

I know when I last travelled, I had to elect a value for the equipment and they only insured the first few thousand.

Depends on the policy, if it is specific to the camera quite possibly but it would be indicated that the cover was 'Worldwide', otherwise not. If it is a general house contents style then probably only in Oz or maybe just in the house. Travel insurance is a thought but often expensive if you go over their set limits (which cover most of the semi-prof level)

Fucking holy shit. I'd have a heart attack if that was me in that situation.

Nice to hear it all seems to be working fine though. You might want to take it a repair joint and have it inspected though (cleaned, etc while you're at it :) ).

+1 on checking on insurance for your gear though.

I only have a shitty sony A200, but even i'd be freaking out if i dropped it, can't imagine how you felt.

While I try not to think of my camera gear as anything more than tools, I still look after them to some degree, so I would definitely be pissed at myself for damaging that sort of combo in one go.

I think I would have beat the intern to death with it.

But then again, what kind of moron carries one of those around without a camera strap?

Also: They got $1600US for it. That's one hell of an expensive cup.

-X

I think I would have beat the intern to death with it.

But then again, what kind of moron carries one of those around without a camera strap?

Also: They got $1600US for it. That's one hell of an expensive cup.

-X

Yes, a very expensive cup but the money was well spent