alexdtree

3D is it worth it?

hey atomicans

so its pretty clear 3D is the standard in movies these days ever since avatar,

what is the view on the 3D in gaming, specifically on PC,

seeing as if one wants to play 3D they need to invest in a higher end card, they need a 3D ready monitor, glasses etc

is taking the steps to view 3D worth it? what are your experiences with 3D gaming? and is it ready to replace our normal 2D viewing?

thanks in advance

'Optical' lulz

ah crap forum fail! how do i get it moved to Audio and display? Edited by alexdtree

Personally, I think 3D gaming would be an immersive esperience, even now I find myself moving my head to try to see around corners ... etc

I'm yet to experience real 3D. If I came into some money I'd look at investing in a 120hz monitor and some glasses, but at the moment its just too much extra cost for (what I've heard) not much gain.

I'll wait for the new technology that doesn't require batteries in the glasses.

And also when it's affordable/worth it.

Tom's Hardware was very impressed by it, but I CBF with the glasses.

I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it for as long as people ask this sort of question: 3D is a fad. It was a fad in the 70s, and it's a fad now. People don't want to wear have to wear glasses to watch tv; nor do they want to have to sit in exactly the right spot. For cinema, that might be acceptable, because all you're doing is sitting in one spot doing nothing but watching the movie. TV is not cinema. People have a tendency to move around or sit at weird angles while watching at home.

TV will go 3D shortly after the advent of volumetric displays and no sooner.

Computers and game displays might find the current illusory 3D effects to be suitable, though.

No . . . 3d is not the standard in movies. Far more movies are made without 3d in the world. And even movies that are made in 3d have a 2d counterpart alongside . . .

is taking the steps to view 3D worth it? . . . and is it ready to replace our normal 2D viewing?

Not really . . . and . . . no.

But if you have the bucks then what the heck right?

3D TV, 3D gaming, bah humbug ! There were 3D movies in the 50's and it faded out, this is just a resurgence of the fad. Its all pretty lame with glasses and special monitors and all, so until I can get a holodeck I will stick to 2D.

3D TV, 3D gaming, bah humbug ! There were 3D movies in the 50's and it faded out, this is just a resurgence of the fad. Its all pretty lame with glasses and special monitors and all, so until I can get a holodeck I will stick to 2D.

My thoughts too, especially the "special glasses" crap.

watched avatar in 3d but i have no interest in 3d gaming at this stage

much more interested in 3 monitor gaming

or better still a curved super high res oled screen that wraps around my head so it feels like im there not looking at a screen and would have the added benefit of being able to turn my head which could easily be made to effect in game head movement unfortunately this tech isnt available to use yet but hopefully its not that far away

Edited by Dasa

ha after reading all the posts and even going and having a chat with a sony rep, im gonna put 3D to rest seems like no one really cares about 3D gaming, i guess ill just explore the super Hi-res route instead!

3D can be next years venture!

I'm all for any new tech even if it may be just a gimmick although I think it's here to stay, if you google glassless 3d tv you'll notice some big companies have already shifted towards this technology. As for 120hz yeah why not, if it benefits the user experience I'm all for it too.

3D, meh. 120Hz however... yeah that's worth it for gamers.

So I've heard, people reckon at 120fps at 120hz looks really amazing.

at this stage no, untill they design something with no glasses and actually looks good without the headaches.

hey atomicans

what is the view on the 3D in gaming, specifically on PC,

seeing as if one wants to play 3D they need to invest in a higher end card, they need a 3D ready monitor, glasses etc

is taking the steps to view 3D worth it? what are your experiences with 3D gaming? and is it ready to replace our normal 2D viewing?

thanks in advance

3D is always worth it. That's the best you can get nowadays.

3D, meh. 120Hz however... yeah that's worth it for gamers.

So I've heard, people reckon at 120fps at 120hz looks really amazing.

if only they made the dell u2711 @ 120hz