alexdtree

3D is it worth it?

3D TV, 3D gaming, bah humbug ! There were 3D movies in the 50's and it faded out, this is just a resurgence of the fad. Its all pretty lame with glasses and special monitors and all, so until I can get a holodeck I will stick to 2D.

My thoughts too, especially the "special glasses" crap.

Heh, not one for making a spectacle of yourself I see. I concur. :-)

Whether or not 3d is "worth it" is debatable and highly subjective imo. Like others have said though, it's still worth getting a 120hz monitor, even if you don't plan to use it for 3d.

Personally, I'm loving my new 3d monitor. Portal 2 for instance is FUCKEN AMAZING in 3d (Just Cause 2 rocks in 3d too). Some games don't work so well 3d (crysis 2 and Witcher 2 for instance, though both will hopefully be fine with future patches), but are still better on a 120hz monitor.

My personal recommendation would be to get a 120hz monitor, then decide later if you want to shell out the extra cash for some 3d glasses.

I'm pretty sure you need 120hz for 3d, though I could be wrong.

As for silky framerates, 100hz would be pretty silky :P I doubt you'd see any difference between a 100 and a 120hz display.

I honestly feel 3d is only good for gaming... I watched a couple of 3d movies at the cinema the other day... Very underwhelming

I watched Beowulf in 3D at the cinema but it was annoying because I could see the red light lining the aisle.

Going to see Transformers 3 at the movies tonight, will be my first foray into any type of 3D (bar the red and blue glasses)

Should be interesting.

I honestly feel 3d is only good for gaming... I watched a couple of 3d movies at the cinema the other day... Very underwhelming

I have yet to see a movie in 3D but I'm thinking I won't like it that much, and am even anticipating some slight nausea. I'd like to try it for gaming, but it's still far too expensive.

I recently built a computer for my best mate, it was a full 4 grand 3d capable rig with the Asus 120htz monitor. The first thing we did was boot up Bad Company 2. That was pretty spectacular not as great as i thought it would be but good none the less. Unfortunately the game was not made with Nvidia's 3d vision in mind and some of the GUI and the blue and red unit marking icons where not placed at the correct depth.

After BC2 i decided to install Metro 2033. Boy was i in for a surprise, we sat up for 24 hours playing this AMAZING experience. The engine worked flawlessly with Nvidia 3d vision. It was without a doubt the BEST looking 3d i have seen done to date, other then Avatar which is a definite needs must to see in 3d. Stuff like spots of dust flying around in front if your face seeming to brush past you while you where moving, the full volumetric lighting was intense in conjunction with the other volumetric effects. The best scene was with the ball of lightning thing moving through the subways. It is something that i recommend every gamer worth their salt check out.

Just wanted to point out another thing, while playing BC2 we where getting a little headachey and feeling ill. However we didn't experience any of these while playing Metro 2033.

I recently built a computer for my best mate, it was a full 4 grand 3d capable rig with the Asus 120htz monitor. The first thing we did was boot up Bad Company 2. That was pretty spectacular not as great as i thought it would be but good none the less. Unfortunately the game was not made with Nvidia's 3d vision in mind and some of the GUI and the blue and red unit marking icons where not placed at the correct depth.

After BC2 i decided to install Metro 2033. Boy was i in for a surprise, we sat up for 24 hours playing this AMAZING experience. The engine worked flawlessly with Nvidia 3d vision. It was without a doubt the BEST looking 3d i have seen done to date, other then Avatar which is a definite needs must to see in 3d. Stuff like spots of dust flying around in front if your face seeming to brush past you while you where moving, the full volumetric lighting was intense in conjunction with the other volumetric effects. The best scene was with the ball of lightning thing moving through the subways. It is something that i recommend every gamer worth their salt check out.

Just wanted to point out another thing, while playing BC2 we where getting a little headachey and feeling ill. However we didn't experience any of these while playing Metro 2033.

Sounds great.

So do i need to buy a purpose built 3d grapics card? which one? Im considering buying the samsung 27 inch 3d monitor for my new PC i am going to build... only because it isnicely priced with a great refresh rate.... 3d is a bonus...but after reading what you have just said i am seriously considering buying a 3d ready Video card...but not sure what i should look for? Ideas?

That samsung series was designEd with amd 3d in mind, although apparently they also feature a really cool 3d conversion mode that works quite well and is processed in the monitor so it doesn't chew up video card resources - according to some opinion articles I've read it works pretty well but not as well as properly coded.

So you could also go a 69xx card

What is a 69xx card?

The 580 is near $500...i dont want to spend more than $300.

if you want 3d games you require nvidia

if you can only spend 300 the best youll get from there is a 560 for 250

better to stretch your budget to at least a 570 for about 350

if you dont want 3d get what ever fits your budget

if you want 3d games you require nvidia

if you can only spend 300 the best youll get from there is a 560 for 250

better to stretch your budget to at least a 570 for about 350

if you dont want 3d get what ever fits your budget

AMD also have 3D.

Its not worth 3d right now and the health risks are just plainly stupid.

I read the comment about someone feeling sick, i sure hope you turned the 3d off and went out side for a while..

Feeling sick isnt the biggest problem.. its the permanent damage it does to your eyes and depth perception but you can eventually fix the depth perception to a stage (short term and small amount of 3d gaming it shouldnt be a real problem as after a few seconds it will return basically to normal, but every time it does it wont fully return to normal although unnoticeable until a long time of use [talking months of daily]. Just stop using 3d for a while [talking months] and you'll get just about all of it back)

But the health issues will effect everyone differently and you might not notice a thing, its the price and confusion behind 3d that makes it not worth it atm for most people.

For movies (usually filmed at 24 frames a second) you only need a 60hz tv for perfect 3d (you can get 30 frames a second each eye) but for gaming you will want around 80hz (unless your more interested in knowing its smooth then seeing its smooth haha then get 120hz) atm 3d needs a super expensive 120hz (120 frames a second) tv.. you will only need around 80 frames (hz) for 3d and if your not super super fussy (and you dont drop frames at times) then you can get away with 60..

Its not worth 3d right now and the health risks are just plainly stupid.

I read the comment about someone feeling sick, i sure hope you turned the 3d off and went out side for a while..

Feeling sick isnt the biggest problem.. its the permanent damage it does to your eyes and depth perception but you can eventually fix the depth perception to a stage (short term and small amount of 3d gaming it shouldnt be a real problem as after a few seconds it will return basically to normal, but every time it does it wont fully return to normal although unnoticeable until a long time of use [talking months of daily]. Just stop using 3d for a while [talking months] and you'll get just about all of it back)

But the health issues will effect everyone differently and you might not notice a thing, its the price and confusion behind 3d that makes it not worth it atm for most people.

For movies (usually filmed at 24 frames a second) you only need a 60hz tv for perfect 3d (you can get 30 frames a second each eye) but for gaming you will want around 80hz (unless your more interested in knowing its smooth then seeing its smooth haha then get 120hz) atm 3d needs a super expensive 120hz (120 frames a second) tv.. you will only need around 80 frames (hz) for 3d and if your not super super fussy (and you dont drop frames at times) then you can get away with 60..

I stated early in this thread that 3D was not worth it if only because of the bulky glasses, but not for health reasons !

Permanent depth perception damage ! Permanent eye damage ! Out of what nasty orifice did you pull that nonsense ?

EDIT: Upon reflection I may be coming over as being to harsh, but it gets up my nose when someone peddles misinformation about medical conditions.

Edited by bowiee

@bowiee There has been a problem with people forcing their eyes to focus on unfocused images in 3D moves which caused eye strain and severe headaches but not permanent damage but as far as I'm aware games don't have that issue.

Maby nvidia and ati use a different tech in comparison to the current 3d tech used on tv's but yep there have been cases and thats why you see alot of warnings about it. depth perception usually fixes its self but it will stuff with your actual vision. I did look into 3d as it was emerging but i havnt really bothered with it since as its just a little gimmick atm. (after watching a 3d bluray i wasnt impressed in consideration of the cost ect..)

@bowiee There has been a problem with people forcing their eyes to focus on unfocused images in 3D moves which caused eye strain and severe headaches but not permanent damage but as far as I'm aware games don't have that issue.

Yep like I said no long term damage, hell your eyes go funny after looking through a viewfinder for to long.

Maby nvidia and ati use a different tech in comparison to the current 3d tech used on tv's but yep there have been cases and thats why you see alot of warnings about it. depth perception usually fixes its self but it will stuff with your actual vision. I did look into 3d as it was emerging but i havnt really bothered with it since as its just a little gimmick atm. (after watching a 3d bluray i wasnt impressed in consideration of the cost ect..)

You keep saying there have been cases of permanent damage, which is simply not true ! Why do you keep asserting that misinformation ? Hell the jury is not even out on if it causes damage or not, because they do not even have the information to debate the issue. Once again I ask you to back up your erroneous comments.