Sign in to follow this  
Lazzarus2nd

A quick comparison of SSD vs RAID

So being a little bored this weekend, I decided to throw another drive into the PC and see what all the SSD fuss was about.

I installed Windows on the SSD and started testing. I didnt really test the drive before I put the OS on it - but I doubt it makes much of a difference. I've used two different programs, HD Tune HD Tune and Crystal Disk Mark CDM as they both show different test, giving good feedback on how the disks are performing.

HD Tune;

Posted Image

As you can see the OCZ access time is unreal - just what you want for an operating system, being the OS im not too concerned about the Transfer rates.

The one in the middle is 3 x 320GB Western Digital WD3200KS - this is used for storage of the usual rubbish found on everyone PC.

The one on the far right is 2 x 74GB Western Digital Raptors WD740ADFD - this was my system drive, but the noise they made, even just surfing the net, was starting to drive me nuts. As you can see the access time isn't too shabby, nearly twice as fast as the 3 x RAID.

These are benchmarks of the same, individual disks on the HD website:

Posted Image

Individual Raptors - as you can see - the access time is very similar, but the Transfer rate on the RAID is much higher. Means the RAID is working exactly as it should - increasing transfer rates while not having too much of an impact on Access Time.

Posted Image

Individual WD3200KS's. Same as above, the RAID is working perfectly - tripling the Transfer rates but not having too much of an access time hit. Shows the nvidia RAID controller is performing admirably.

Crystal disk mark;

Posted Image

Test Types:

Seq : Sequential Read/Write Test (Block Size = 1024KB)

512K : Random Read/Write Test (Block Size = 512KB)

4K : Random Read/Write Test (Block Size = 4KB)

4K QD32 : Random Read/Write Test (Block Size = 4KB, Queue Depth = 32) for NCQ&AHCI

Even though the Nvidia 780i does not support AHCI - you can still see it is obviously working in Nvidias own special way. The SSD clearly spanks the other two RAID arrays in the random read/write tests, which makes sense as there is no moving parts - the head doesn't need to whip back and forth. I've also changed the strip size on the raptors a couple of times, this doesn't change the results of the above tests.

All in all, whilst not really needed, the SSD does make a nice addition to the family, I love how windows starts up now in seconds.

The best thing though, the thing thats made me most glad of the purchase is how beautifully quiet the pc is now - just the gentle whir of fans....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

CrystalDiskMark 3.0.1 x64 © 2007-2010 hiyohiyo

Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [sATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 310.735 MB/s

Sequential Write : 333.199 MB/s

Random Read 512KB : 44.569 MB/s

Random Write 512KB : 106.437 MB/s

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 0.600 MB/s [ 146.5 IOPS]

Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 6.525 MB/s [ 1592.9 IOPS]

Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 3.524 MB/s [ 860.3 IOPS]

Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 6.230 MB/s [ 1521.1 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 89.1% (53.4/59.9 GB)] (x5)

Date : 2011/06/12 21:46:43

RAID 0 4 * Samsung F1 750gb

I'll add a data point for you. This is Intel Matrix RAID with four Samsung F1's at 750gb capacity.