michael.jenkin

Tilt Shift photography (Using software or with lens)

For those who saw the post, I dropped my Canon 5D and Tilt Shift 24 mm lens.

"The most aweful sound in the world"

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=42884

These are some test shots afterwards and I thought I would share them.

The lens seems to be working ok and the camera is behaving :)

I have been trying to get the miniature look and also using Shift to create panorama's.

This is a tilt photo (Miniature)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is a shift photo (to all extremes of the lens) (Panoramic)

Posted Image

This is a shift photo (to all extremes of the lens) (Panoramic) (HDR)

Posted Image

You can see them full size and other Tilt/Shift (Including software Tilt Shift) here

Man,

I had been staring at the first 3 photos for soo long trying to determine if they are real or models... Thats how good the tilt shift is working for you.

Unfortunately I'm notquite prepared to spend the money on the lens, but my god, this is my next project!. Thanks MJ for the motivation

Rob

I have admired tilt photos for a while now, and think the miniature effect is wonderful, even if it is rather niche.

I don't see what the deal is with the shift in the last 2 though...they just look like wide shots to me, ie a stitch.

EDIT: However, that aspect ratio looks like a cinematic aspect. I quite like it. The wooden bridge one is quite nice.

Also, I had a look at the full size version of that Under the Bridge, and am noticing a bit chromatic aberration on the edges of the pics. I took a screencap of the top left corner here:

Posted Image

See how the right sides of the tree branches have a blue/purple blur, and the left sides a yellowy/green blur? This is the extremes of the lens refracting the light into its component colours and slightly separating them, as the colours are at different wavelengths. you probably already know this...

This fortunately can be corrected in a good image editor, like Adobe Lightroom. Its quite simple how one does it, just drag the Red/Cyan slider and or the Blue Yellow sliders left - right until the colouration goes. I usually do this before all other post processing, as it sort of "fixes" the image to most ideal, before playing around with other effects.

Edited by Antraman

I really like the effect. I don't think I'm really ready to be splashing out on a lens; but I will probably check out the 'fake' software.

Even though I own the lens, I am happy to say, the software tricks look just as good.

I would take photos from a high up possition and then run through something like tiltshiftmaker.com

I created this tilt shift with tiltshiftmaker.com

Posted Image

As to the shift, it was great to take a panoramic without moving the camera. It was also great to stich without loosing any of the image or correcting any of the perspective.

The shift is best used to correct perspective so a panoramic is only one of the things it does well.

Do you mind explaining what it is exactly? Its a fantastic effect, I'm just not sure what it involves.

The tilt effect is basically a blurring of close objects and distant object with sharp focus on a central object. This forces the brain to think it is miniature.

It allows us to move the point of focus either in software or in a lens that literally tilts meaning the lens is no longer perpendicular to the camera's sensor. I.e. a tilted focal plane.

I have tried both methods and they both work in a similar way.

If I tilt from top to bottom with a lens, the image at the top is closer than focus, the image at the bottom is further than focus, the item in the middle is in forus (remembering that the image gets to the CCD upside down).

The shift allows me to literally slide the lens on a track from left to right. This means I use more ofthe image circle that is cast onto the CCD. Without moving the camera body, I can have the lens extreme left, then central and then extreme right and make panoramics as shown here in this thread. I can also take a single photo off center anywhere along the line of movement. This distorts the image allowing me to correct any images with perspective issues. It means I can stand below a sky scraper and fit more of it in, compared to a normal lens, and I can keep the two side walls going up parallel to each other instead of appearing to converge at the top out of frame.

I do not know of any software that can do a shift.

The lens also rotates so that whilst the tilt and shift can be done at any angle, if they are done tongether, they are always 90 degrees sepereated (The TS-E 24 mm L 2 does not have this issue)