Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Bike licence; have my RE

My father owns large bikes.

I only have my RE opens.

Can I get an L plate and ride one of the big bikes on a run with him?

Do i need an additional 'learners'? (i'd be unrestricted, but i havent had my RE for a year yet, despite riding offroad all my life)

Ive tried to google this, but it seems to be a grey area. Anyone know?

Nope you MUST complete your 12 months first then you can go to Qride and upgrade your licence. But for 12 months you are stuck with LAMS bikes. There is no learners for a larger bike, only the option after 12 months to upgrade your licence to a "full" or "unrestricted" licence.

I rode through the 70's with no licence and when I decided to get one I got one of the first RE licences, I had to give up riding to raise a family but when I returned to riding I was going to upgrade my licence through Qride until I found I could ride up to a 650cc as long as it was on the LAMS list. My days of sports riding are far behind me, I just needed a cruiser to haul my big arse up hills and my Yamaha V-Star cruiser does that with ample power and speed. Plus I could just change the jets in the carbies if I needed to ;)

Pic of my ride, she makes 250's look like mini bikes lol.

Posted Image

Edited by bowiee

Here is a good start to read up on the rules of RE licensing.

Here is the answer you were looking for,

When am I allowed to ride a class R motorbike?

You must have held a class RE motorbike provisional or open licence for at least one year before you can learn to ride a class R motorbike.

Note: You must comply with the no alcohol limit (0.00) when learning to ride.

You may then follow the steps outlined above to upgrade your licence class from a class RE to a class R.

You should also note this,

Note: Since 1 July 2010, the following licence holders are now required to comply with the no alcohol limit (0.00), regardless of age:

* all motorbike learner, provisional and probationary licence holders

* all class RE motorbike open licence holders for the first 12 months of holding their class RE licence

* all class RE motorbike open licence holders learning to ride a class R motorbike under the authority of their class RE licence.

I don't have a full license but can I ride a bike that requires me to have a full license?

What do you reckon, Einstein?

harley's

no. bad scythe. bad.

/hits nose with a rolled up news paper.

bikes are for riding, not carrying around to mechanics on trailers.

I don't have a full license but can I ride a bike that requires me to have a full license?

What do you reckon, Einstein?

Fuck you troll a lot without reading.

You can do exactly what i asked when you dont have a full licence for your LAMS bike; learners only, with a fully licenced partner.

Why is it so illogical you may have been able to do the same thing for the next level up?

You must have held a class RE motorbike provisional or open licence for at least one year before you can learn to ride a class R motorbike.

You may then follow the steps outlined above to upgrade your licence class from a class RE to a class R.

Right, so once i hit a year, i can ride without the R licence as a learner. but not untill... fair enough.

harley's

no. bad scythe. bad.

as a household that has had multiple for my entire life; they never break down.

The new ones do! my god they fall to bits and cry. break drive shafts, require special parts, you name it.

Get an old electraglide or something and they go FOREVER. Ill admit they NEED their regular tunes as per the service manual; but they dont break stuff more than others.

At least, thats not been the experience of anyone i know in the HOG club.

Right, so once i hit a year, i can ride without the R licence as a learner. but not untill... fair enough.

What are you riding now ? I mean I could have gone for an R class licence in one day, but decided I did not need it to do what I wanted to do. So if like me you already have a LAMS approved 650cc you may decide it's enough for now, and may hold on to it until it wears out then upgrade your licence when you then buy a newer bigger bike.

Just a thought.

Edited by bowiee

Those 0.00 limit laws for motrbike licence holders who are not on their opens are a little stupid, my mums mate had his motorbike learners from about 15 years ago when he moved interstate and did the test and he got a letter saying even though he was on his opens for his car he had to be 0.00 again because he had his moto learners never did find out what happened with that.

Those 0.00 limit laws for motrbike licence holders who are not on their opens are a little stupid, my mums mate had his motorbike learners from about 15 years ago when he moved interstate and did the test and he got a letter saying even though he was on his opens for his car he had to be 0.00 again because he had his moto learners never did find out what happened with that.

On the other hand IMHO even if you have one beer then go riding you are asking for it. It is hard enough to stay alive when completely sober, and on the ball with all the clowns out there. Which brings me to the "Biker Prayer" Credit to "Dave Woodward", (Fasta Pastor)

As I climb astride my ride,

I ask you God, be at my side

Keep me alert through out the day,

guide me safely along the way

Potholes, roos, and twisty bits,

oil, gravel and dimwits

Lord protect me from each one,

until my ride this day is done

While the engine accelerates,

let us ride as friends and mates

But when I stop in bush or town,

let me not forget to put my foot down

Remind me that my life is fleeting,

that one day we will be meeting

Let grace and truth with me abide,

until I make my final ride.

On the other hand IMHO even if you have one beer then go riding you are asking for it. It is hard enough to stay alive when completely sober, and on the ball with all the clowns out there. Which brings me to the "Biker Prayer" Credit to "Dave Woodward", (Fasta Pastor)

As I climb astride my ride,

I ask you God, be at my side

Keep me alert through out the day,

guide me safely along the way

Potholes, roos, and twisty bits,

oil, gravel and dimwits

Lord protect me from each one,

until my ride this day is done

While the engine accelerates,

let us ride as friends and mates

But when I stop in bush or town,

let me not forget to put my foot down

Remind me that my life is fleeting,

that one day we will be meeting

Let grace and truth with me abide,

until I make my final ride.

Having just got my opens I reckon a beer does sweet fuck all though I am not going to ride my bike after drinking. That being said I was refering to him no longer being able to drive after a beer in his car.

Nope it does not apply to your car licence if you have an open car licence, only to his riding of a bike.

Nope it does not apply to your car licence if you have an open car licence, only to his riding of a bike.

Cool the letter was less than clear.

harley's

no. bad scythe. bad.

I saw one on the back of a tow truck last week. Made me lol.

Cool the letter was less than clear.

Here is the clarification from the transport department.

Holder of an open licence.

(However, if you obtain your class RE motorcycle licence, you must ride with a zero BAC in your first year of riding, regardless of your age or the class of vehicle licence you hold).

Below 0.05

(general alcohol limit)

Linky

harley's

no. bad scythe. bad.

I saw one on the back of a tow truck last week. Made me lol.

Ive ridden them before on tracks and on our acerage on the paved sections.

The comfort, power, and (with the pre-2000 models) reliability of the classic V-TWIN is unmatched IMO.

Yes, you cant whip them through twisties like a sports bike. and good luck picking it up if its on its side, lol, but other than that, the pure STRENGTH is amazing.

And the noise >:D

I like both camps; sports and crusier.

They suck balls in the sports category, but they are the best of the cruisers IMO.

You can do exactly what i asked when you dont have a full licence for your LAMS bike; learners only, with a fully licenced partner.

It's probably a concession to the fact that in any other state, you can ride solo on your Ls.