Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Bundy

Pizza delivery in the online age!

You should go and tip the guy who made/cooked the pizza. The delivery guy didn't make it taste good.

neither did the guy who made it. they follow a recipe I am pretty sure.

I didn't until I realised the same thing that sparked this thread.

Luckily I keep a bowl of change on the way out, so I can easily grab it as I go.

You should go and tip the guy who made/cooked the pizza. The delivery guy didn't make it taste good.

And all recipes are derivative, so I guess we'd better just tip no-one to play it safe rite?

So what? The minimum wage in the US is around 250? Damn and i thought it was bad in Australia...

While i realise the price of living must be cheaper over there it cant be to such a level that this would be at a similar level to here... I think ill stay here thanks ;)

To put some living costs into perspective the US pay roughly $0.97cents per litre for fuel.

a happymeal in the US costs $2.80AUD (aprox) i think its what 5-6bucks here? Been a while since i had one :P

Edited by Bundy

And all recipes are derivative, so I guess we'd better just tip no-one to play it safe rite?

Usually Dominos or takeout stuff is crap, so salty and sugary it makes me sick, so yes, they do not get a tip from me.

On the other hand, if I go to an Italian restaraunt I usually tip if there is good food.

t3hmarz - if you don't like a product, why do you buy it? I'm sure you could find a local good pizza shop if you bothered.

USA wage tends to factor in 10-15% tips on service jobs, and frequently this is simply added to the bill automatically. No thanks.

I tip taxi drivers and other service providers if they have done their job well. I consider this an investment in excellence.

Not using credit, I always have the option to tip by "keep the change".

Many of the restaurants I frequent have a tips jar. Not sure about how this is divvied up to the staff, but it doesn't deter me from tipping, I look at the whole dining experience.

On the other hand, if I go to an Italian restaraunt I usually tip if there is good food.

Shouldn't you be tipping for good service, not good food?

Many of the restaurants I frequent have a tips jar. Not sure about how this is divvied up to the staff, but it doesn't deter me from tipping, I look at the whole dining experience.

It's rare for the service staff to want to share it with the kitchen, or any other, staff.

If its a tip jar on the front desk is it usually shared with all staff? or only service staff?

If its a tip jar on the front desk is it usually shared with all staff? or only service staff?

Nich...'s comment (from an insider) suggests that there's a financial struggle between the wait staff and kitchen.

Looks like the kitchen staff needs to set up some mechanism for the patrons to properly divert their tips based on some formula, perhaps:

Service/Venue = A

Meal Presentation / Satiation = B

Total Available Tip = C

Convert A and B to percentages, halve and apply to C (this should result in a maximum of 100%, with a lesser result possible)

Insert result BC into kitchen, AC to tip jar.

Formula subject to modification pending field trials.

So what? The minimum wage in the US is around 250? Damn and i thought it was bad in Australia...

While i realise the price of living must be cheaper over there it cant be to such a level that this would be at a similar level to here... I think ill stay here thanks ;)

As well you should...

From what I know of Australia and keep in mind I've never been able to visit your country, but from what I know of the situation, you have a bit better income on the lower levels and also more in the way of government assistance.

However the cost of living in the US varies greatly.

Where I live is fairly cheap but some major cities are, by US standards, hideously expensive and you will see differences in wages depending on what part of the country you're in.

From what I could tell, the cost of living in the US wasn't that much lower unless you decided to go and live in, say, West Virginia. It felt like it varied a lot more than you'd typically see across different parts of Australia, tho'.

Thing I don't get about tipping, is that everyone has to do it. 'Oh noes, most of my wage comes from tips!'. So does everyone else's in various industries? So if you're someone who makes tips... you also have to spend money tipping other people.

So if the whole system was abolished, no one would lose, it would just make everything a whole lot easier.

Thing I don't get about tipping, is that everyone has to do it. 'Oh noes, most of my wage comes from tips!'. So does everyone else's in various industries? So if you're someone who makes tips... you also have to spend money tipping other people.

So if the whole system was abolished, no one would lose, it would just make everything a whole lot easier.

Well not really because the people who don't make money form tips who aren't involved in face to face contact with customers would then slightly win out while the service industry dies in the ass.

If the food is bad do you still tip?

Used to tip a delivery driver in the same case as you, keep the change, kinda thing.

Don't now due to the online ordering.

Won't tip in restaurants, I feel like paying $35 for a steak and some potato and garnish on the side, plus 8 bucks for a stubby, is more than enough already. If I get good service then I usually just repay them by simply being nice, thankful, and happy that they're serving me. Unlike some customers who seem to think the waiter/waitress is their little minion for the night and in essence they feel they have the right to be rude to them or basically ignore them completely.

If the food is bad do you still tip?
What's up, can't make up your mind who you're tipping and for what? I'd have thought the more pertinent question would be, if the food is bad and makes you sick, why you keep going back.

Tipping is for suckers.

I've never tipped, and I'll never tip.

Their employer pays their wage, they're doing what they're employed to do.

I am not their employer.

IDK I feel like if I appreciate something and I will tip, I get tipped sometimes at work and it's a nice feeling.

Tipping in this country is a bonus. You're certainly not obliged to pay extra for something, but sometimes it's a nice gesture, as a reward for a job well done. Sort of like how your boss doesn't have to give you a bonus at the end of the year, and doesn't have to give you a work discount, and doesn't have to buy you a cake for your birthday, or any of those things that don't much happen because, well, they don't have to happen.

IDK I feel like if I appreciate something and I will tip, I get tipped sometimes at work and it's a nice feeling.

Nice? NICE?! How dare you do something so incredibly stupid as TIP and feel NICE about it?!

Don't you know that BEING GENEROUS will make it so everyone else has to do it? This is Australia, not America, I am Aussie not a Yankee and I will never tip! I will never part with a couple of dollars just because it's some expectation elsewhere and could be taken as a generous gesture in this country!!!

I hate online pizza ordering. It's a great service, it's incredibly useful and is sure to be an outstanding success, but it's just too easy for me. I won't ring up and order anything, but I'll happily make a couple of clicks for delicious, yet not exactly healthy dinner. And considering I'm on another health surge, it's just too easy. :(

Nice? NICE?! How dare you do something so incredibly stupid as TIP and feel NICE about it?!

Don't you know that BEING GENEROUS will make it so everyone else has to do it? This is Australia, not America, I am Aussie not a Yankee and I will never tip! I will never part with a couple of dollars just because it's some expectation elsewhere and could be taken as a generous gesture in this country!!!

I hate online pizza ordering. It's a great service, it's incredibly useful and is sure to be an outstanding success, but it's just too easy for me. I won't ring up and order anything, but I'll happily make a couple of clicks for delicious, yet not exactly healthy dinner. And considering I'm on another health surge, it's just too easy. :(

Well I'm too much of a tightarse to pay for delivery, and I don't have a car/license, so it's no biggie for me.

Only time I have pizza is at a LAN. And it's usually terrible because poor Domino's has to pump out like 500 pizzas and the quality is really bad.