Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
lashby

Alice the Madness is here!

Finally its here! 11 years or some such after the original, which I loved.

Anyway, feel free to post your thoughts on the new game!

Personally, Im playing on PC with a nvidia 295, so looks very pretty and runs 'great' not exceptional, but pretty damn smooth.

The graphics in the game I think are fantastic, so colourful and really well put together, nothing new or outstanding I guess technically, but its just painted really well and creates a very nice atmos, especilly in the early part of wonderland.

The characters so far are excellent cartoon like models, that I think are very well done, the whore models look great, as do the main characters in game.

Alices costumes are wicked as and love that she has some wardrobe changes throughout the game so far.

Gameplay is pretty straightforward and does involve a lot of jumping, which i must admit is getting a little tedious at times, so hope they can bring some more elements of gameplay in.

combat is quite refined i reckon, and there are a number of strats you can take in defeating foes, certainly a stronger point of the game.

Im only about 4 hours in, but dont think alice has really shined yet as a character and personality, I want a bit more dialogue and angst to come into it. heres hoping.

soundtrack is quite good and eerie, though I dont think as dark as alice 1.

There are a few bugs / annoying gameplay issues that have cropped up, that hopefully get fixed in a patch, but nothing that is gamestopping. I would like a save button and the aiming to be less-consolised, but thats "PC" games now right.

definately worth a check out if you love cool stories and beautiful worlds to play in, with a cute-as-can be alice!

what do you think?

i havent played it yet..but the reviews give this game a very 5/10 which kinda makes me not want to play it lol but now ive read your post i just might now :D

Looks pretty boring, probably deserves such a bad rating, just look at duke nukem forever, highly anticipated for years and years and it got 58/100 on metacritic.

I enjoyed the first one, probably pass this one up at the moment due to still having to finish about 5000 other games in my steam list. D:

It seems kinda cool, nothing new game play-wise, but the style of the game is pretty cool, its awesome seeing characters like the Cheshire Cat all looking freaky as fuck.

I've had a read through the Steam forums and there's a lot of people booing it.

I'll download it and give it a try.

Don't know if it will be worth buying after reading all the bad things about it.

Graphics do like nice though.

Hmmm, I havent read any reviews of it or anything, but it does saden me that reviews play such an important part in peoples decision to play a game. I mean of course they are useful, and hell I'll admit there is nothing groundbreaking new in the game, and that generally its 'old school' but god damn it its still fun and done very very well. I'd agree at this stage with a 7/10 review, as a "game" but if you like the alice story and the theme appeals to you then, you wont be dissapointed.

And like duke nukem reviews, if its fun and people enjoy it then thats what counts, not that its 'old, outdated' and doesnt use the latest physX version etc etc. we all knew duke was going to be a bit of a cobbled together mess, but in knowing that, we can find the beauty and enjoy it.

You could probably draw similar lines to indi films vs big budget blockbusters , or local bands over international acts etc.

anyway going a bit off topic but I hope those that think they'd like it, give it a chance if they can.

Personally, if you enjoyed the first Alice... and aren't expecting some mind-blowing AAA top-tier title with 'Madness Returns', but know and accept that it's more along the lines of the old school simple gameplay of the first game.

Then you should enjoy it.

In short; Don't expect it to be something it's not, and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Exactly what rebirth said. It's not a game that is trying to redefine game play mechanics or anything like that. This is a game about the art that has gone into making an amazing looking world. Simple controls make it more accessible. I'm waiting for a a couple of patches and a small price drop before I play. Maybe Christmas time.