Sign in to follow this  
Sty.x

Headphones

'good' is a terrible word to use. Due to the size of drivers I find anything thats not bass exaggerated to hell to sound TERRIBLE.

if 'good' means flat equalised, no thanks. Ive always wanted to try the M1s though, everyone seems to rave about them.

I take it you've never heard a quality pair of headphones. People have this odd perception that 'more bass = good'. Clarity and detail applies to bass just as it applies to treble. I don't hear many people asking for exaggerated treble. An exception may be movies and games where explosions are a legitimate excuse for exaggerated bass and distortion.

i like exadurated bass and exadurated trebel, and mid range can go to hell.

listening mainly to electronic, or power metal, high and low is what matters to me.

But mids are where most of the sound is. Take it from a bass player's perspective, a lot of guys love scooped mids with insane amounts of treble for playing slap and pop. But you're usually left with a tone that just has no... character.

If you go into your EQ and drop the mids, frankly, anything will sound shit.

People have this odd perception that 'more bass = good'. Clarity and detail applies to bass just as it applies to treble. I don't hear many people asking for exaggerated treble. An exception may be movies and games where explosions are a legitimate excuse for exaggerated bass and distortion.

have to agree, coming from pc speakers to a pair of ms1 (and now 2 yamaha hs50m monitors) my initial reaction was "omg where's the bass" but after listening to it for awhile it's all there, detail and clarity, can actually 'shape' the bass now rather than just mud, actually makes bass line fun to listen to

Edited by basketballfreak6

People have this odd perception that 'more bass = good'. Clarity and detail applies to bass just as it applies to treble. I don't hear many people asking for exaggerated treble. An exception may be movies and games where explosions are a legitimate excuse for exaggerated bass and distortion.

have to agree, coming from pc speakers to a pair of ms1 (and now 2 yamaha hs50m monitors) my initial reaction was "omg where's the bass" but after listening to it for awhile it's all there, detail and clarity, can actually 'shape' the bass now rather than just mud, actually makes bass line fun to listen to

See? that 'oh my god where is the bass' sensation is what im scared of. I owned countless pairs of easily accessible headphones and only ever found 2 pairs that didnt leave me feeling like that.

Sennheiser PX100

and

Bose Triport

With the bose having a reputation for falling apart by looking at them, the PX won, and i never looked back. Bass in my headphones needs to be boomy. deep. all encompasing.

If bass kick drowns out the highs and mids, so be it, because IRL, thats what happens anyway with a huge bass hit.

Was at a Herbie Hancock concert a few years ago, the drummer was Vinnie Colaiuta; one of the best drummers in the world. Those drums were the crispest most amazing things I've heard in my life. No boominess there whatsoever.

Only 240p unfortunately. And I don't even care that it's not a genre you listen to motherfuckerrrrrr :P

EDIT: Hey cool, it's 360p here. Only 240p on Youtube with no option to change it.

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony

See? that 'oh my god where is the bass' sensation is what im scared of. I owned countless pairs of easily accessible headphones and only ever found 2 pairs that didnt leave me feeling like that.

Sennheiser PX100

and

Bose Triport

With the bose having a reputation for falling apart by looking at them, the PX won, and i never looked back. Bass in my headphones needs to be boomy. deep. all encompasing.

If bass kick drowns out the highs and mids, so be it, because IRL, thats what happens anyway with a huge bass hit.

but you see, i only felt like that in the beginning because all i ever was exposed to was cheap consumer/pc speaker crap, but the more i listened to the headphones literally the better it got, also it depends on what you are feeding off it, like now with my new titanium hd card i am getting even more and better bass compared to when i was using the xfi forte

@Harmonic Cacophony: that picture is bad ass lol

i dont hate that..... :$

though i more mean this bass

Wtf is that shit. What I just heard is the death of dubstep. Next thing people are going to tell me that pendulum still sound good...

i dont hate that..... :$

though i more mean this bass

Wtf is that shit. What I just heard is the death of dubstep. Next thing people are going to tell me that pendulum still sound good...

People keep assuming skrillex is dubstep.

Most of his stuff is dubstep influenced, but not all dub. I dont know what i'd call that track, but its not pure dubstep to my ears. At least its not 'boring'. Its the beft Mortal Kombat remix ive heard since the original theme.

for proof, listen to With You Friends. (especially the Long Drive remix). that is NOT dubstep. I like his stuff not because hes 'omg dubstep king' but because his shits unique.

at least its better than whatever you linked :P i had it minimised playing DOTA, and thought 'wow this is like a 3 minute intro!' and the song was almost over...

EDIT: for the newcomers to skrillex's work, here, have the obligatory Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites.

Its on JJJ all the time, kinda took the world by storm..... not sure why. As i said i like it because its a sound ive not heard before..... i like the backward sounding 'drops'.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I like the sound of my sennheisers, for $100-$150 I think they're fine unless you're trying to hate them.

I like the sound of my sennheisers, for $100-$150 I think they're fine unless you're trying to hate them.

Thats my feeling too.

wanna try M1's, but i think the bass will dissapoint.

I'd like them more if they were cup headphones, but after using sennies, I think the lows wont be as deep, even if the m1's are better quality?

I'll soon be in the market for a decent soundcard in PCIE and a replacement set of headphones for my HD515's, but the catch is I'd like cup ones, mainly to have less sound leak, being that I have housemates who don't always share my taste in music

Thats my feeling too.

wanna try M1's, but i think the bass will dissapoint.

EQ > slide the bass up a bit. That's what I did with my Turtle Beach headset, it has pretty thin bass.

Yeah I just tried them with +20dB gain on 30Hz frequency band and they're sufficiently boomy.

Ewwww :P

The previous comments in regards to listening to a flat (flat does not equal bad) pair of headphones, then getting used to them, and getting over not CONSTANTLY hearing low-bass, and realising all these other details in music... well, are entirely true (in my experience).

Don't get me wrong MS, i used to want big bass... but then i realised i actually just wanted GOOD bass... after that, i saw(heard?) that i could appreciate the music i listened to even more. It was AFTER this that i got into trance/club music, amusingly...

Also, to add to HC's comment regarding music sounding shit without mids, i agree totally. There's a reason why most good bass cabinets actually include a horn for mid-range frequencies.

Anyway, i suggest to you, MS, that you don't buy the MS-1i's... they'll sound like shit to you if you expect your music to be full of bass. Buy some big heavy senn's instead.