Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Voxel

'Source Code' Movie review disgusted me

Ok, I've calmed down since screaming on my loo last night (my mag reading spot).

But this is still a 'Dear Sir/Madam' letter!

Dear Sir/Madam,

To whoever the F*****K reviewed 'Source Code' in the latest subscriber print version of the mag.

PUBLISH A RETRACTION OR OTHERWISE PUBLICALLY HUMILIATE YOURSELF (further) TO MAKE AMMENDS. YOU HAVE A MORAL OBLIGATION TO DO SO.

This is one of the best SF films I've seen, and I have a nerd LIST of the good hard-SF films made over the last few years: eg. Pi, Primer, Cube, Limitless ... make-you-think 'what if' stuff instead of more space-opera like Avatar (which I enjoyed but it was meant to be silly) and District-9 (brilliant, but it aint hard-SF, its strictly SO).

And my list of course includes Moon, and now Source Code.

The problem?

Unfortunately you have to understand some basic QM (that's Quantum Mechanics, grasshopper) to get the film. Especially the punchline. The punchline is just brilliant and when I realized I clapped and went 'Ho!'. I heard a tiny smattering of similar reactions around the cinema, but the main noise I heard was 'Huh!?'.

To the reviewer, you were a 'Huh!?'er weren't you, admit it.

This causes people to misinterpret not just the ending but big chunks of the flow of the film. The story is not arbitrary, there is only ONE piece of suspension of disbelief required and its not a huge stretch. The entire plot hangs together beautifully and the ending is not tacked on - it is vital.

But, without experience in the background.... yes its misinterpretable, making the experience for those poor souls a nonetheless enjoyable one (phew) but a confusing one also.

Sounds patronising?

Yeah sorry, but its a bit unavoidable.

Its like trying to explain to a Creationist or some similar idiot how obvious molecular biological evolution is once you look into it, but finding in order to do so you have to answer 'What's DNA?'.

But - WHEN YOU ARE A REVIEWER. Ooooh that's a paddlin' !

Get the facts before you jump in.

And because I want to abuse you, here is some abuse:

"LEARN SOME ***************** QUANTUM ************ PHYSICS ************ YOU ************ ********* ************ *************************************** *******!!!!!"

I feel better now. Thank you.

You know what's odd - I agree with you. I loved Source Code. I even had discussions with Ewa about it, and even brought in the old QM argument.

However, I was not a giant douchebag about it, as you seem to be. Kindly go die in a fire.

Yours,

The Editor.

However, I was not a giant douchebag about it, as you seem to be. Kindly go die in a fire.

Yours,

The Editor.

Best reply ever ^_^

Also I tried to read this 'letter' but it just came across as a wall of nerd rage

This thread makes me chuckle :) I'm getting off on the ' polite ' exchange of insult and riposte.

/ I've not seen the flick so cannot comment...end derail.

edit: @ PointZeroOne, I thought the OP was great, and there's no sarcasm meant or intended with that.

Edited by eveln

You know what's odd - I agree with you. I loved Source Code. I even had discussions with Ewa about it, and even brought in the old QM argument.

Yours,

The Editor.

POTM.

Yours,

The Editor.

POTM.

+1. POTM.

Yours,

The Editor.

POTM.

+1. POTM.

I like where this is going

This is one of the reasons, I like working for this man.

Anyway, you little volumetric pixel - write us a review from your point of view. I am sure we'd all like to see your take on it, too.

z

Edited by zebra

Yours,

The Editor.

POTM.

+1. POTM.

Can the Editor get POTM? Surely that would rip apart the space-time continuum?!

Let's see....+1 POTM

I thought the OP was deliberately OTT in an intentionally humorous way, but anyways, this thread made me want to see the film.

Yours,

The Editor.

POTM.

+1. POTM.

Let's see....+1 POTM

Maybe it's a secret quest we've discovered, if Editor wins potm we all get prizes!

So on that... +1 POTM

Yours,

The Editor.

POTM.

+1. POTM.

Let's see....+1 POTM

Maybe it's a secret quest we've discovered, if Editor wins potm we all get prizes!

So on that... +1 POTM

+1 POTM!

I also agree, and he, being new, may have been unaware that the mag staff are active forumers.

+1POTM for you hawkeye you sexy manbeast

I thought the OP was deliberately OTT in an intentionally humorous way, but anyways, this thread made me want to see the film.

Lol that's what I was thinking too.

Eh, text based communication FTW.

/off to watch Source Code.

I know he was likely being humorous, but I take defending my writers very seriously :)

Though, maybe I should amend it to go get badly burned in a fire?

What word is starts with F ends with K and has 7 letters? It must be really dirty!

People have a tendency to take what's written down too seriously, and write crappy abusive letters when they disagree, it's the nature of things. Grats to Mr Hollingworth for his defence of contributors - that the author wasn't a quantum physicist doesn't mean his review is invalidated lol. But let's not jump on the bandwagon too keenly and group harass the OP, which would be as unfair as he was being. I do have to agree with others that there was a bit of tounge-in-cheekness with it.

Edited by philo-sofa

I doubt the OP was joking. I do feel he was initially outraged though, but waited till he had calmed down a bit, so's to fully communicate his dissatisfaction with the review ;)

I thought it was a fun read...but then I didn't write the review.

Don't be so hard on yourself, Laptirp.

It's not healthy. :P

Orly? I'm normally the recipient.

My ass has never been cleaner.