Sign in to follow this  
te0p

Red Orchestra 2 Heros of Stalingrad release date

I really think you need to have an interest in WW2, especially the European campaigns as well as period weaponry, if you don't love killing cunts with the single shot rifle, you won't enjoy anything in the game :P

I always loved that about CoD2, and recently realised it's been ages since I've played a good WW2 game.

I remember the market was flooded with them up til CoD4, now it's all modern warfare.

I am sick to death of the WW2 setting, but the weapons don't bother me.

Hit registration, however... is another issue.

Tried playing last night, shot at least 6 dudes who either weren't moving, or weren't moving AND looking in another direction.

Nothing happens, then they just shrug it off, turn and shoot me in 1 shot like it's nothing.

One time I was prone beside a windowsil inside a building... a guy comes and climbs through the window.

I shoot him dead in the chest as he hits the ground inside the building... nothing happens, he turns and takes me out in one shot.

Joy.

Movement also feels too clunky.

Hmmm I haven't had a problem with hit rego like that… I've found it to be pretty much spot on, if you're not the best aimer, you're going to get owned, due to the nature of the single shot rifles, usually missing first shot means you're a dead man! :p

I love the slight noise overlay that they've put on the graphics, it gives a sense of 'history' to the game. It was one of the first things I noticed after firing it up.

Originally I hated the snow map as well, but I was just playing it wrong. If your squad has a clue you can be really tactical and that's when it's fun. That map is a good old classic front line vs front line map, which means you can flank left or right for an advantage. The thing you don't want to do is charge out from your spawn into the centre area, even if you are in squad, because it won't take long for the marksman or riflemen to pick you off.

Game is definitely good, and I'll definitely be smashing it religiously for the next couple of months, obviously depending on Aussie server activity!!

I am sick to death of the WW2 setting, but the weapons don't bother me.

Hit registration, however... is another issue.

Tried playing last night, shot at least 6 dudes who either weren't moving, or weren't moving AND looking in another direction.

Nothing happens, then they just shrug it off, turn and shoot me in 1 shot like it's nothing.

One time I was prone beside a windowsil inside a building... a guy comes and climbs through the window.

I shoot him dead in the chest as he hits the ground inside the building... nothing happens, he turns and takes me out in one shot.

Joy.

Movement also feels too clunky.

Leaving aside lag (and not just your ping to the server) for a moment (which could be the cause of the example you give), hit registration is one thing they absolutely nailed in RO2. If you miss, it's because you weren't leading your shot or didn't account for ballistics in some other manner. They're spot on. Of course, there are still those times where hit boxes and animations aren't matching up (often leading to bizarre prone and clipping issues), but hey, it's a beta, not a demo, which seems to be a misconception many are making.

I thought movement felt weighty, and if anything, a little too smooth (again, leaving aside issues of prone and clipping), so there you go.

I've been on servers where hit rego has been spot on and servers where it has been bad. They're still updating their server and client code so hopefully it comes good by release.

Yeah I've found it can be somewhat erratic. Especially when there's 64 players in a server...

I thought it was maybe just me..... but maybe there is a hit register issue.... like Ezkaton i felt i hit players dead square and they didnt die.

I also agree it feels clunky. I even went back and played RO1 Darkest hour and it felt good compared to RO2...

my main issue is the lean buttons.... if you go iron sights and lean and try and walk to a corner it is crap. and it is such a simpler way than locking into the wall..... Kind of reminded me of Bioshock...that was so damm clunky the FPS battling (it had no lean at all) ...i had to stop playing even though everything else about the game was great.

not a fan of Barracks map so far....but i have not played the other 2 maps yet.

But again,,, this is beta. but i am worried for the game a bit. seems like there is a bit to iron out yet and they really only have seven days before full release.

Well te0p, moment of truth coming up. I've just bought the standard version and am pre-loading it. Release in about 12 hours apparently. I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah I've preloaded 50%, I'll finish the rest overnight.

Game still feels a bit unpolished, but atleast they're actually sticking to their release dates. It won't get 90+ review scores, but it should still do okay and TWI have a history of supporting their games for a long time after release.

Edited by NukeJockey

Crap, it must not be locally hosted or whatever, I'm just a few hundred megs off being shaped now, damn it. I'll just wait til I shape myself of my own accord then let it trickle down

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony

I can't get TPG here and if I could I can only get their off net, which while better than internodes 60gb plan (100gb on, 100gb off) doesn't have any unmetered content so I could still get myself capped with it.

Ok, just putting it out here, but the breathing thing when you aim? It makes me want to strangle babies with their own umbilical cords.

What were the devs thinking? I have to listen to that noise EVERY TIME I SHOOT.

awwwwww, I'm sorry your soldier has to breath

Dude, he sounds like he is trying to sniff salt through a straw. I hate it when people do that on the bus, why would I voluntarily spend time listening to it in a game? It shouldn't take too long to find the sound file its in though, and disable it. Edited by Sir_Substance

Dude, he sounds like he is trying to sniff salt through a straw. I hate it when people do that on the bus, why would I voluntarily spend time listening to it in a game? It shouldn't take too long to find the sound file its in though, and disable it.

I have not noticed the breathing, I probably will now though

Its harder to hear during a live firefight, which is why it isn't a dealbreaker. On the other hand, go do the tutorial mission (first mission of the axis campaign) and see how long before you feel like snapping your keyboard in half.

Its harder to hear during a live firefight, which is why it isn't a dealbreaker. On the other hand, go do the tutorial mission (first mission of the axis campaign) and see how long before you feel like snapping your keyboard in half.

Done that, didn't annoy me in the slightest.