Sign in to follow this  
te0p

Red Orchestra 2 Heros of Stalingrad release date

I am really enjoying this game, mind you there are a fair share of bugs which i can deal with AS LONG as it gets patched up to scratch. I am enjoying the feeling of the guns. I dont agree with the statements that this feels a bit clunky i find it quite easy to move and dominate the field of battle even with a sniper rifle. I'm enjoying the feeling of having to aim and the feeling of the recoil is great IMO.

I dont agree with the statements that this feels a bit clunky

I think there are aspects of it that are clunky. The cover mechanic in particular comes to mind. A few problems with it off the top of my head:

1. Half the time when you right click from cover instead of aiming over it it aims right into it.

2. when you are behind it sometimes you can still be shot through the head, but you never get an indication of when this is possible.

3. When you need to bandage and you are near cover, cover takes priority over the bandage for some reason, so instead of bandaging yourself you crawl into cover and die.

The general feel of the game is sluggish, but I think that's the unreal 3 engine rather then the game. I often find that sighting can take far longer to happen then it should, and when you reload and then run, it fails the reload, but doesn't tell you, and then sometimes starts the reloading at the end of the sprint (unhelpful if you were sprinting towards someone to shiv them in the stomach). Reloading while weapon switching and/or zooming in out has funny priority queues as well.

Its not a mess, and its certainly more then merely functional, but I think there is fair justification in the clunkiness accusation.

I'm not really liking it so far. It does feel a bit clunky and slow. My game sprinted fine in the training at the start, but will not sprint or focus-sight at all, like left shift doesn't exist. So I'm plodding into combat like an idiot.

The default controls are bad, I'll tweak them, but I feel like I'm having to hold down three things at once to do anything.

The game feels small. I don't feel like I'm an advancing Nazi army, I feel like 10 faceless guys. I was expecting more of a war story game, as implied by the trailer.

Anyway. I have it now, I'll give it more of a go, but I don't see myself playing it much/at all once BF3 and Skyrim come along.

I'm not very impressed by the singleplayer either. The cutscenes and voiceovers are fun and evocative, but the maps are just multiplayer maps with AI. I'd be OK with that except in the second chapter of the axis campaign they feel the need to shoehorn you into the commander position, even if you were perfectly happy as a footsoldier. Since the commander interface is a disgrace to the development house and a text book example of how not to do it for everyone else, thats pretty unwelcome.

Considering the number of faults I'm finding to nitpick at, I'm enjoying it a surprising amount. But then, I'm looking at this as my battlefield 3 replacement, and for all its flaws it reminds me of nothing quite so much as the glory days of BF2 and tribes, so I'm making more of an effort to enjoy it then I usually do.

Its had another update this morning so I'm going to check it out again once there are some updated Aus servers.

I really want to enjoy this game, but in some ways it feels like such a departure from RO1. It annoys me that the Assault classes can basically snipe you from over 100m away with an SMG, it makes using rifles almost pointless. This wasn't the case in RO1, it was more balanced.

The optimisation in some levels is horrible, I'm running a pretty decent system and I still get slowdowns, apparantly there are issues with certain cpu and gpu combinations, but they haven't said what, just that their "test machines" were running the game perfectly and as such, the game was optimised for them.

I just tried to fire this up.

This game is currently unavailable.

The fuck it is! It's installed to my hard drive, so run the .exe and let me play it, you prick! I have paid actual money to own this game, which I didn't really enjoy with my first impression - now my second impression is completely ruined by Steam not letting me play it!

Okay, so after it found an update to download (I'm shaped, so that's fun), I finally got to play the game again. Did some more missions in the German campaign, but I really didn't have a good time, and only kept playing because I felt I should.

The squad commander role is horrible and I don't want to do it. I'd prefer to be just one grunt in a million, but no, I'm a commander of a dozen, and have no idea what I'm doing. Almost all the time, I'm simply selecting all squads (by arduously tapping through X) and telling them to attack, or follow me. Anything else takes too long and we all get shot to shit while I'm trying to make them all go to more strategic positions.

It seems impossible to interrupt the reload animation, which is a problem when you're reloading an LMG and a Russian soldier is beating you to death. I'm mashing 2 and middle mouse button to pull out my pistol or melee the bastard, but no, apparently re-bulleting my shooter is more important than staying alive.

The game is a massive memory hog! It takes up 1.8GB of RAM which is huge - Shogun 2, which is a far larger and better looking game only takes up about 800MB.

Ugh, I have not been enjoying this at all. I'll probably check in over the coming weeks to see if updates help anything, but I can't see them improving the entire game from the ground up.

Okay, so after it found an update to download (I'm shaped, so that's fun), I finally got to play the game again. Did some more missions in the German campaign, but I really didn't have a good time, and only kept playing because I felt I should.

The squad commander role is horrible and I don't want to do it. I'd prefer to be just one grunt in a million, but no, I'm a commander of a dozen, and have no idea what I'm doing. Almost all the time, I'm simply selecting all squads (by arduously tapping through X) and telling them to attack, or follow me. Anything else takes too long and we all get shot to shit while I'm trying to make them all go to more strategic positions.

It seems impossible to interrupt the reload animation, which is a problem when you're reloading an LMG and a Russian soldier is beating you to death. I'm mashing 2 and middle mouse button to pull out my pistol or melee the bastard, but no, apparently re-bulleting my shooter is more important than staying alive.

The game is a massive memory hog! It takes up 1.8GB of RAM which is huge - Shogun 2, which is a far larger and better looking game only takes up about 800MB.

Ugh, I have not been enjoying this at all. I'll probably check in over the coming weeks to see if updates help anything, but I can't see them improving the entire game from the ground up.

Maybe you should have played RO before buying RO2.

Everyone seems to be expecting TWI to have the budget and QA team of Activision or EA or something and expect the most polished game imaginable on release.

Guess what? TWI are Indie devs, their products are never perfect when they come to market. They could spend another 6 months doing QA on it if they could afford it and didn't care about their fans so much.

For a game of that scope, with so many new mechanics, I'm not surprised thats its buggy as hell, but the gameplay? The gameplay is superb, I love it and I will play this game for some time to come. Once they fix up lag issues ofcourse.

I'm not having a go or anything, but so many people have bought RO not realising what it was and expecting it to play like COD or BF and they leave disappointed.

I knew they weren't working with the resources of EA or Activision, but I was expecting an actual single player campaign with a storyline and characters, somewhat like the first two Call of Duty games. This was pretty much implied by the trailer, but all we've really got is offline multiplayer trainer, with great narration. The intro scenes with stylised art and excerpts from soldier's journals are great and add a lot to the game, it's just a shame the actual game doesn't follow this lead.

I don't see myself really playing the multiplayer either, because it was hard enough convincing my friends to get Bad COmpany 2 when it was five bucks. They're certainly not going to get a much lower quality game at over 5 times that price. I could see this game dropping significantly in price over time, as well as being significantly improved. So it's only then that the game would become worth it.

The trailers implied nothing of the sort. TWI were very open about what the single player portion of the game was well before there were any trailers at all.

Been playing a bit and really enjoying it.

Team Co-ordination is hard as no one takes a commendar role... i always take Squad leader and use it to its uptmost IMHO.

I find i lay down smokys in the right spot and go in.......this is why squad leaders and commanders are absolute musts and if you die and have not used a smoke grenade you should change your role....your first priority should be to lay down smoke in the most advantagous postion in both attack and defence.

I look at score cards and see so many people with 14 kills or similar with low points because they are not trying to capture objectives.

I did say it was clunky... it is, but i feel it has to be that way to be realistic. I was thinking about the lean left and right action and even though it does not hold while walking you dont neccesarly lean and walk at the same time any way.

And going prone may have been to easy in RO1 come to think of it....like be able to go prone on the edge of a trench is siilly....even if it appears in HOS that being blocked from going prone makes the game feel clunky it is what would happen.

I play as don draper if anyone is wondering too... just thought i would mention it. should assemble a Atomic team of HOS

Been playing a bit and really enjoying it.

Team Co-ordination is hard as no one takes a commendar role... i always take Squad leader and use it to its uptmost IMHO.

I find i lay down smokys in the right spot and go in.......this is why squad leaders and commanders are absolute musts and if you die and have not used a smoke grenade you should change your role....your first priority should be to lay down smoke in the most advantagous postion in both attack and defence.

I look at score cards and see so many people with 14 kills or similar with low points because they are not trying to capture objectives.

I did say it was clunky... it is, but i feel it has to be that way to be realistic. I was thinking about the lean left and right action and even though it does not hold while walking you dont neccesarly lean and walk at the same time any way.

And going prone may have been to easy in RO1 come to think of it....like be able to go prone on the edge of a trench is siilly....even if it appears in HOS that being blocked from going prone makes the game feel clunky it is what would happen.

I play as don draper if anyone is wondering too... just thought i would mention it. should assemble a Atomic team of HOS

I have no desire to play Squad Leader again after I found out that playing that role gets me killed alot and garners no rewards.

Like today, I marked some spots for the commander to drop arty, he kills shit, takes out a tank etc. And I get didly squat. Because I was basically doing recon for the commander I couldnt go into an attacking roll and cap points, and I wasn't getting kills either, so my score was horrible.

Well, just played for the first time since the full thing dropped.

Still boring, still dodgy, still nobody working together, etc.

Also hate how I join a territory game for 2 minutes and then it ends and the players choose firefight (I think that's the TDM one?).

Leaving me bored and annoyed.

Don't like how players can pick and choose game modes and maps.

If somebody wants to play TDM, join a TDM exclusive server, leave the people who like more objective-based game modes alone.

I think this game will take the back seat for me until it's fixed up a bit more.

Man, a demo would be nice, while I enjoyed the mod, never played the retail, I can't see myself taking a $40 punt for it...

Methinks I'll wait for this one till either it's on special or it's patched to a level most people are satisfied with.

But the real killer I think for this game will be player base, cause this game even at it's most popular i.e. it's mod days, still died in the arse... and TBH, I don't think We'll be seeing this if enough people don't get on board.

The problem is, being in Aus we are just too far away to get enough gamers to try different games for multi.... so we only have a few big ones and a dribble of older games.

I can't see it taking off here, not unless there's a mind blowing demo or a price drop.

Edited by Chuck Norris(good actor

Well, just played for the first time since the full thing dropped.

Still boring, still dodgy, still nobody working together, etc.

Also hate how I join a territory game for 2 minutes and then it ends and the players choose firefight (I think that's the TDM one?).

Leaving me bored and annoyed.

Don't like how players can pick and choose game modes and maps.

If somebody wants to play TDM, join a TDM exclusive server, leave the people who like more objective-based game modes alone.

I think this game will take the back seat for me until it's fixed up a bit more.

I havent noticed that. I only ever saw servers where FF or TER I dont think they can change it at map selection.

But i do hate it when it turns into team death match....bores the hell out of me. Dodgy?? the stats system is broken.. but the game seems to work fine for me. only problem i have is it is a bit run and gun in the design.

Comments like Dodgy dont contribute anything unless you explain the dodgt as well.

Man, a demo would be nice, while I enjoyed the mod, never played the retail, I can't see myself taking a $40 punt for it...

Methinks I'll wait for this one till either it's on special or it's patched to a level most people are satisfied with.

But the real killer I think for this game will be player base, cause this game even at it's most popular i.e. it's mod days, still died in the arse... and TBH, I don't think We'll be seeing this if enough people don't get on board.

The problem is, being in Aus we are just too far away to get enough gamers to try different games for multi.... so we only have a few big ones and a dribble of older games.

I can't see it taking off here, not unless there's a mind blowing demo or a price drop.

Looking at the servers a hour ago...there was 2 full aussie ones...and anther with about 13 players. It is not really enough to give a player choice.

Comments like Dodgy dont contribute anything unless you explain the dodgt as well.

As with the beta -- if you read previous posts in the thread -- you would find that I had issues regarding hit registration.

Also when I played yesterday I shot a guy who wasn't moving, four times with a semi-auto rifle.

Not one shot registered on him, then he turned to look at me and popped me in two hits.

Also I shot another enemy in the face with my rifle, and zing, a hit registered! But it gave me -2 for team damage... and no kill.

Are my bad experiences dodgy enough for you, your highness?

Edited by Ezkaton

That was beta...but i think i have had it happen in the full release as well...not sure because it may have happened twice but i have played a bit now stats say i have killed mor e than 1000 enemys.... i hope they fix that soon.

I will accept your excuses, so you are forgiven.

Any of you guys still playing this game...?

They have released som big patches and is now playable....but the gameplay still needs some refinment and content is lacking....4 maps on rotation is not enough....coupled with the fact the SDK has still not been fully released.

The stats where reset....but still a tad dodge.

What are your thoughts on the current state of RO1?

They have released som big patches and is now playable....but the gameplay still needs some refinment and content is lacking....4 maps on rotation is not enough....coupled with the fact the SDK has still not been fully released.

RO1? Far better than RO2. I've played maybe 5 hours of RO2, can't see myself touching it now that bf3 is out, far better more enjoyable game imo.

RO1? Far better than RO2. I've played maybe 5 hours of RO2, can't see myself touching it now that bf3 is out, far better more enjoyable game imo.

Sorry meant to say RO2 in that last sentance.

I am wanting to get on to BF3 too...

Updates:

RO2 is half price on Steam right now. So grab a copy if you have been interested.

Game has been patched ALOT... weapon loadouts have been changed alot too.

SDK is within days of being released. So lots more content from users i hope.

And there will be a Thanksgiving day patch coming up too... (i dont even know when thanksgiving day is)

It will have alot of updates and 1 new map.

Because i follow the game closely waitng till it is more playable... i thought i would share this info with you all.