Interesting tech, that uses light field capture, so that you focus after you have taken the photo.

http://allthingsd.com/20110621/meet-the-st...ry/?refcat=news

Part of me says it's a little gimmicky, and the massive change in resolution between the capture and the output, is going to be a technical issue for capturing photos to print for a few years, but I think the market is definitely there for for capturing the moments.

Adjustable photos in galleries would be the main gimmick. (Not really a real gallery then - would you go to the Louvre and want to tweak the paintings while there - no, you go to see the artist's decisions and work)

Allowing memory capture shots to have focus fixed afterwards is the useful part for facebook style shots, and that's a huge market.

Whether it gets abused by people deciding to shallow DOF every shot they have to make them artistic, is a personal choice to follow a fad.

I'm not seeing this replacing all cameras, but this might be a big direction for mobile phone cameras and the like to embrace - those that are really targeted as social network photography.

Also a link to Thom Hogan's site where I found it, and of course Thom has some disucssion.

What I'm more impressed about is the way they've delivered the experience via Flash. Because it's not a simple static image, it's important to make sure that people less acquainted with technology to have the full experience. They've got it right with this demonstration.

The question is, will we see a proprietary file format in the future that will require proprietary software to view, or can this be ratified into an open standard for all.

The question is, will we see a proprietary file format in the future that will require proprietary software to view, or can this be ratified into an open standard for all.

I can's see why they couldn't define a DNG style standard for the sensor data - although whether it is taken up is another thing.

I assumed the processing of that to adjust focus etc is part of the proprietary algorithm/technology and that wouldn't be a standard.

But I'm not really interested in the viewer editable focus options, why let people play with your photos that way - just use max DOF if you want to allow them to see foreground and background objects.