Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
iamthemaxx

'Restricted' RSS feed

(I think I know the answer but I will ask anyway.)

Why does the Atomic RSS feed only have the item title and a short blurb like the Atomic Articles subforum posts as opposed to the full article, or even the first few paragraphs a la Ars?

I use RSS specifically so I don't need to access 20-30 sites a day to get the info I need, and frankly having it like this makes the RSS feed pointless to me. Which means I've unsubscribed but I won't be visiting the front page to get my news either.

You could look at this as a "don't be lazy", "oh look, another person wanting something for nothing" which could be a fair point, but the whole point of offering an RSS feed is to allow syndication via aggregation for those that wish to use it. To me it's like creating an iPhone app that forces you to the website to read the full article.

My ultimate point is; isn't it better to have people reading your stuff than not?

This is par for the course for a lot of news sites.

Part of this is they have greater control over the advertising on their own site, than say, inside your RSS reader.

This is par for the course for a lot of news sites.

Part of this is they have greater control over the advertising on their own site, than say, inside your RSS reader.

Which is why I don't use those sites either.

Delimiter just moved to a simlar setup which is a pity, it was a really valuable resource for me, now I will have to go elsewhere to get my news.

I am sure one reader can be sniffed at, but I don't think it's just me.

I really don't know, actually, but I would imagine it comes down to the idea that if you're not going to come to the site anyway, then well... yeah, it's an ad thing :)

hmmm, I actually like that the Atomic RSS feed is a little abbreviated blurby thing :-) I use iGoogle and it bugs me when the whole article tries to load in the little iGoogle pop-up thingie, which is basically every other feed I subscribe to :-p

However, just using a reader straight-up, I can see why the abbreviated blurb might be annoying. hmmm. Damn, huh? :-(

IMO, Ars does this exactly right (for a website that, obviously, wants you to click through). Enough of the article is given for you to get you hooked and give you a good idea of whether you actually want to read the rest or not. I would click through to far more articles from other sites if they did the same.