bolt_krank

Construciton in the apartment

Apparently the body corporate of the building I live in have decided they need to replace all the tiles on the balconies of the apartments on the top floor of the building due to possible leakages.

They're using mini jack-hammer type devices to lift up the tiles and break the concrete underneath, and I'm guessing they'll re-do on top based on what I can see of the neighbours place.

Anyhow, what I want to is anyone been in a similar situation ? Apparently this is going to go on for 3 months (they're doing all the apartments on the top floor). And it's loud enough that you can't hear the TV properly if you put it to highest volume (you can hear, but not clearly). They usually start at 7am on the dot. Good thing is they don't seem to be doing anything on the weekends.

Spoke to one of the workers in the hallway, and he said they'll be doing our place in a few weeks. This is the first I've heard of this. Real estate agent hasn't mentioned anything. I asked him how long will someone need to be in my apartment for. He said about 3 weeks.

So for 3 months I have ear splitting sounds first thing in the morning, and I have to let this person come in and out of my house for 3 weeks, without any notification. Can this be done ? Is it possible to as for a reduced rent during this period as it is devauling the living environment ? I'm guessing the real estate agents have their sneaky ways to avoid this though.

All in all, it's just annoying and I feel I'm getting the short end of the stick (or am I just being naive, and there's nothing I can do ?)

I suspect if it's the body corporate who asked to do this, you just have to deal with it.

Three weeks to re-tile an apartment !?!

What are these guys doing, taking an all day smoko and ten tiles a day?

It should not take anything like that amount of time.

Place I lived in a few years back now was re-tiled, a house, took just over a week and wasn't terribly noisy.

Unfortunately I'd expect Jerusalem is right, but nonetheless they are obliged to let you know.

Cheers

I think he's saying they're replacing tiles on all apartments on the top floor, not just one. And they're balconies, who knows how many square metres all up.

Ripping out all the tiles, removing the rubble, preparing the surface, sealing it, re-tiling, sealing tiles etc etc......the top floor may consist of 25 apartments.

Edited by twinair

Yeah, I can imagine that but to be 3 weeks in just one apartment sounds very excessive.

Cheers

No leg to stand on here I think – but it's for the better. I'd just sit on my computer with headphones on and play games rather than watch TV. :P

Shouldn't take three weeks for one apartment lol. Think they're talking shit there, per apartment balcony depending on size should be a ~2-3 day job MAX when taking into account the time to get the tiles up there and clean up etc. My old man retiled our whole house when I was living there in less than two weeks, that's about 6 big rooms worth. And he works 5 days a week. -_-

3 weeks is excessive unless they are doing the whole building in one go.

Edited by Jeruselem

Why the fuck would I help out? It's not even my apartment.

Sorry, worded badly - didn't mean you, yourself

i meant you being bolt_krank.

They're saying 3 weeks per apartment. The whole floor (containing about 8 apartments) they're taking 3 months.

Not going be much fun when they start doing your place, you're going go deaf.

But I'm not bolt_krank.

But I'm not bolt_krank.

trolled effective

well to start with, im pretty damn sure the body corp has to let the tenants proper know of any disruptive (which this is) work going to be carried out, this can be a simple note on the letter box,as for the property access.. no YOU dont need to let them in, not till the BC notifies either the real estate, or the owners of the unit, who then need to notify the real estate to let u know.

Unless the balconies (as it seems to be) as considered the responsibility of the BC, and they can access them from an external access of some measure (boomlift etc etc etc), then in that case theres very little u can do about it.

Balconies are considered body corporate actually. I have go fix rotting wooden beams in my property balcony so I don't have tenants falling on the concrete below.

Edited by Jeruselem

That's one of the downfalls with Body Corporates....you don't really get much of a say as to what happens.

They just expect you to go with the flow.

Just get some damn good ear plugs is all I can suggest!!