Sign in to follow this  
g__day

Birthday: My Wife wants a Tivo - is there something better?

Hey all,

I've never been much for recorded (free-to-air) tv, but my wife's birthday is comming up and she wants a Tivo. I've never researched these devices. JBHiFi is selling them at present for $400, Dick Smith has a dual tv tuner that stores to a USB device for $160. I can't see any device that uses its LAN connection to provide storage - say from a NAS - wouldn't that be smart!

I wonder if anyone could offer advice. What would you wsih to receive and why? Is Tivo great is has it been obsceled by something better? All thoughts greatly appreciated!

Matt

build yourself a myth tv box?

(orwhatever it is the coolkids are using these days)

Edited by clockworkman

the biggest differentiator is EPG availability.

Personally, I use Telstra T-Box, but you need to be a bigpond customer to utilise their EPG.

I assume Tivo has a built-in EPG provider?

Part of the cost of TiVo pays for lifetime access to the 7-day EPG.

TiVo is quite nice to use, and requires the least dicking around of any solution, especially Myth.

Edited by SquallStrife

Storing to a LAN would use serious bandwidth g_day and introduce lots of possibilities for errors on recording. Not a good idea.

Haven't used the Tivo myself, but if an internal HDD can be fitted it should be ok.

Personally had a couple of Tvix units that I have been happy with. Current one is the M-6600N.

http://www.tvix.co.kr/eng/

Site is down ATM so try later.

So

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/142011/HOME_EN...-6600N_T441.asp

I only have the single tuner option but the unit has wireless N and 10/100 lan (wish it was gigabit)

You can browse to the unit via \\venus to play the files on a PC and the unit can play most file types shared on PCs (seem to remember it has trouble with AAC audio) via UPNP or some software you install called netshare.

Worth a look anyway.

I've had a Tivo for a couple of years now and am very happy with it. The only thing i suggest is to put in a 1TB drive, fairly simple to do.

Another TiVo owner here... I won't lie to you about how it's perfect - it isn't; there are issues with the EPG sometimes being inaccurate (nothing can be done about that, really - thank the tv stations), the recording algorithm is not smart enough to realise that two consecutive programs on the same channel do not need two tuners, etc. But boy is it convenient.

All the TiVo units have internal HDDs. The one I have has storage for 30 hours of HD or 60 hours of SD programming. If you go to one of the many TiVo hacking sites around, you can find instruction to replace the normal unit with a bigger drive should you want to. Personally, though, I've never even approached that limit.

The best gift is one you made yourself.

Stop trying to buy your way out of this - BUILD A MEDIAPC!

:P

In all seriousness though, a TiVo is much less work (Though less flexible ). Unless you're an enthusiast, don't go the MediaPC route.

What EPGs do people recommend for those building their own MediaPCs?

What EPGs do people recommend for those building their own MediaPCs?

they all work fine, use whichever your favorite is. a lot of people like to use the 'over the air' one because it can update for delays and what not automatically