`angerfist

Head 2 Head

Heya guys,

Don't wanna sound like a dipshit or an AMD supporter but does the recent Head 2 Head seem biased? Well to me it does, big time. An example is, the AMD 6970 vs the nVidia GTX 570. Sure the gtx 570 is faster in SOME tests, but saying it is "$40" cheaper "street price" is a load of BS. MSY, a well known computer parts provider, has the 6970 from $331, and has the gtx 570 from $348. Sure not much of a difference but if you stating that it saves you almost $50 thats a big decider for someone like me who might be looking for a new card. If you're asking yourself MSY might be the only place? PCDIY (another computer expertise store even advertised in the magazine) sells the 6970 for less than the gtx 570 and even mwave, sells it for less and im sure this is not only a one off thing. Im sure there is a list of other things I can ramble on about but I just thought it's ridiculous saying Street price, when its more like RRP. Cause the REAL street prices are a whole lot different than what the magazine is putting them out to be. Now again I'm not here bagging out the magazine, in fact I love it, always been a fan of Atomic but seriously, that totally shocked me. Anyone else have any opinions list them cause im free to chat about it. GPU wars are always fun to talk about haha.

Cheers!

you know that the head to head article is written by custom PC and that atomic used it?

(bit tech/custom pc (which is UK based) and atomic share articles from time to time thats why the is alot of possible errors/may seem biased etc)

still a good article i thought. (but there is a spelling error on the GTX 580 review)

you know that the head to head article is written by custom PC and that atomic used it?

That doesn't absolve Atomic of responsibility, though.

To the OP, the nature of IT is that prices change faster than anyone can keep up. Always take prices listed in magazines, or even online, with a grain of salt. Use the article for the tech specs alone, and you'll be swanky :)

Rob.

It was pretty bias, alot of what they said lacked internal consistency. At some points they were promoting Nvidia because it was cheaper and almost as fast as the relevant AMD card, while at other times they were promoting NVidia because it was faster and only cost a little bit more than the relevant AMD card. Interesting how not even one AMD card was better than the relevant NVidia card. And no I'm not a fanboy, if it has been the other way I would have questioned the bias towards AMD.

It was pretty bias, alot of what they said lacked internal consistency. At some points they were promoting Nvidia because it was cheaper and almost as fast as the relevant AMD card, while at other times they were promoting NVidia because it was faster and only cost a little bit more than the relevant AMD card. Interesting how not even one AMD card was better than the relevant NVidia card. And no I'm not a fanboy, if it has been the other way I would have questioned the bias towards AMD.

Couldn't agree more. Again I'm also not an AMD fanboy but it was just ridiculous how they rated their graphics cards better for small but not real reasons. If you want power for your money it is an obvious choice that AMD has the better line up, not saying choose AMD for good, I'm saying you can get a 6870 for $180, for any budget PC Builder that seems like a pretty dam good bloody deal seeing as it can play alot of game on 1920 x 1080 reso. I also don't like the fact they use 4 games only in total, one being a known console port. That's just ridiculous. For starters, a good example of a Video card review is

the one on the ati 6990 by philo-sofa, he uses games that actually push cards too their limit. Arma 2 does this but thats only really one. He uses alot of well known benchmarking tools aswell and at least a half a dozen games. This is what i call real world testing. IMO that's what you call a great review. Everything is well proportioned. I dont like hearing, something is better because its $40 less and almost as good, when its the total opposite when the better card is CHEAPER than the supposed chosen card. Its ridiculous and I just thought can you be anymore biased.

All those prices were sourced from StaticICE at time of working on the article. Of course, that was done over a month ago now, so yeah, I'm sure things are little different :)

In all honesty, it's not a round-up I'm all that happy with either, and that's kind of what I was hinting at in my Editorial this issue. But, for the moment, we have to make the most of what we get in our licensing deal. I'm hoping there'll be some changes in the way we do our group tests shortly, but for now...

maybe its something to think about when the next round of nvidia/AMD cards come out?

All those prices were sourced from StaticICE at time of working on the article. Of course, that was done over a month ago now, so yeah, I'm sure things are little different :)

In all honesty, it's not a round-up I'm all that happy with either, and that's kind of what I was hinting at in my Editorial this issue. But, for the moment, we have to make the most of what we get in our licensing deal. I'm hoping there'll be some changes in the way we do our group tests shortly, but for now...

Yeah things are different, life goes on and yeah when I read your editorial I assumed you weren't too impressed. I love the magazine, always have always will, you do everything really nicely and thus why alot of guys like me get it all the time haha but the head 2 head just shocked me quite alot actually and I guess I'm not the only one =) All in all though, keeping up with video cards, scratch that, technology in general these days is hard. It changes as much as you change you underwear everyday.

I'm so glad someone else posted up about this too, I was so furious that the article even made it to print!

It was by far the most biased piece of journalism I have EVER SEEN.

When comments where made about the 6990 using just over 400w as bad, but the 580 system was happily chugging along using nearly 500w I thought I would throw my mag at the nearest family members head.

In reality it was a trashy piece of literature by an absolute fanboy, and reading the editors opening piece just cemented that fact.

Not good Atomic.