Hi, I have been trying to work out for a while now why my computer is slow to responed, quick run down on the specs

cpu- i7 920 OC @ 3500ghz

Video card- 4850

RAM - 3 gb 1066mhz

HDD - 500gb WD black edition

power -antec 550

I build this just after the i7s came out but it has always been a bit slow with easy things like web browsing, resuming windows ...

Playing games had been fine though, I have been caught in the mmo rut for a while now so not pushing it that hard, though I have just started rift and have to be at medim settings :(

So as I have read on other threads its end of the tax year so want the new part in the next couple of days

and the final nail was my wife telling me her laptop was faster, my pride is hurting !!!

I was wondering what the lag would be coming from? my guess is the Hdd and mabe the ram.

I would like some help from more knowledgeable minds.

thanks,

Your hard drive is the bottleneck when accessing data on the fly. The reason your games run fine is because all data is stored in memory after your initial (long) loading time. While you're browsing the web and doing desktop things you're constantly reading new data from the drive, and since it's not loaded into memory you're experiencing the slow data transfer of your drive.

SSD it up and you'll be flying.

The video card would be the next thing I upgrade after the SSD.

you running vista?

grab 64bit win 7

3x4 12g ram ~$150

and as above a ssd will make a huge difference to the speed things open at

Hi, I have been trying to work out for a while now why my computer is slow to responed, quick run down on the specs

cpu- i7 920 OC @ 3500ghz

Video card- 4850

RAM - 3 gb 1066mhz

HDD - 500gb WD black edition

power -antec 550

I build this just after the i7s came out but it has always been a bit slow with easy things like web browsing, resuming windows ...

Playing games had been fine though, I have been caught in the mmo rut for a while now so not pushing it that hard, though I have just started rift and have to be at medim settings :(

So as I have read on other threads its end of the tax year so want the new part in the next couple of days

and the final nail was my wife telling me her laptop was faster, my pride is hurting !!!

I was wondering what the lag would be coming from? my guess is the Hdd and mabe the ram.

I would like some help from more knowledgeable minds.

thanks,

The absolute cheapest way to get some performance back would to do a fresh install of Windows.

That said, some parts upgrades would help (all are available at PC Case Gear).

RAM: depending on how much clearance you have between your RAM slots and CPU cooler then G.Skill Ripjaws 3 x 2GB for $89 or if space is tight under the cooler then G.Skill F3 3 x 2GB for $75 is the go.

Graphics card: Not really an expert but Gigabyte HD6850 1GB overclocked for $179 would do quite nicely.

Hard drives: A fast combo (but somewhat expensive option) would be SSD for Windows and a HDD for games/documents/other programs. An OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD at $209 combined with a WD Caviar Black 1TB at $95 would see you motor along pretty quick.

It may just be the throttling too, you say its only slow on the desktop? Unless you turned off the cpu throttling in the BIOS, its probably only doing about 1.7ghz or something, that and your ram is fairly slow and theres not much of it.

It's hard to see where a lack of desktop performance would be coming from. The specs are all up to scratch - a 3.5GHz quad Nehalem, 3GB of (admittedly slow) ram and a WD Black shouldn't be a problem. Another vote for a (re)install of Windows 7 as the quick fix, parts wise adding an SSD and moving to 6+ GB of DDR3-1600 RAM would bring it right up there

Only thing that might be causing sluggishness would be HDD issues - if you don't mind wiseolddog could you let us know if have at least 10% of your HDD free, whether the drive is fragmented and finally if you have a few minutes download HdTach and post up the results here?

Which OS? With 3Gb I bet windows XP 32 bit which would be stupid on that hardware. As has been said win 7 64 bit.

Also slow web browsing can be just down to your connection speed, or a LAN problem (especially if using wireless LAN). Also the stupid amount of toobars and addons some people seem to want to install in their browsers will seriously effect browsing speed, especially AVGs link scanner. It is shite get rid of it if you have AVG installed.

Slow resume can be down to HDD speed (1Tb 7200rpm will help but an SSD is the best for speed) and the number of apps loading on resume. Stop all unnecessary background applications from loading at boot/resume.

thanks for the help everyone, really great to know its the HDD and windows to start with, here is some more detail,

I am running windows 7 since it came out without reinstalling it I use soluto to stop or slow down programs installed. My internet speed is around 10mb/sec on oz broadband test right now but gets to about 12-14 most of the time.

I checked the throttling and it off so no worries there, I tried to do a HDD test and it wouldnt work in win7.

So some deduction looks like I should be looking at a SSD and some Ram ( I will leave the graphics untill the 7000 series as there is not enough in the budget right now)

so just to get some thoughts I am looking at a couple of different options...

A OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD and reuse my wd 500 for photos and music (movies are stored on a nas)

A OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD and a Samsung spinpoint 1tb, I read that they are the fastest 1tb around. without the old drive.

or the 120 SSD and the 1tb if thats whats needed.

Ram wise I am looking at the G.Skill Ripjaws 3 x 2GB and the G.Skill F3 3 x 2GB mainly because they have it at cpl which is close to get to. also the Corsair 1600 C9 3x 2gb.

thanks again

to make the hdd test run right click it and select run as admin

Hi so that progam is only for xp so no good I did another one called cyrstal disk mark, and came back with read of sequential 85mbsec write 81mbs 512k r-31 w 45, 4k r-0.379 w-0.875.

I bought a ocz 120gb and 6gb of c9 corsair RAM, the stores I went to had sold out of good ram because it wasnt just my idea and they had sold out of 1600 ram.

thanks for the help. I'll get back with the results soon as I am reinstalling tonight.

:)

If your board has SATA 6.0Gbps a Vertex 3 or Agility 3 would have been better, but too late now :(

Woot I just finished it and it was well worth it, windows is so fast sooo fast, the hdd scores went to seq Read - 164mbs Write - 140mbs, 512k r-160 w-138, 4k r-22 w-75, 4kq r-23 w-92. so the small 4k ones went up , up too 100 times which is cool.

so it just a much better computer now the Ram has made a difference too and help me do a quick OC to 3.8ghz but will keep tweeking it to get the magic 4ghz.

Thanks again for helping me sort this out its fantastic :)