robzy

Hey men of Atomic, how many shaves do you tend to get out of a razor blade?

You lot that only get a handful of shave each blade, you know that you need to add shaving cream aswell right? I shave everyday (excluding weekends) and I've probably changed blades 4 times in 7 months. And I'm a hairy corse haired kinda guy.

i don't believe you

if i shave daily, by the end of a week my skin is screaming for a new blade

yep, wet shave, pre-wash, good lather- and beard hair like steel wool

Fair enough, not quite sure why I would make that up, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

i don't believe you have corse (sic) hair

the rest may well be true, but as one hairy face individual, i can assure you men with fierce face hair hate shaving

in fact it's the reason i have a beard = not because i think it's a fashion statement, but because i hate the process of scraping it off repeatedly

and (good) electric razors do a less convincing job, and leave me with gravel rash after a few days

Christ, I was lucky to get a fortnight out of a Mach whateverthehelltheyweremarketingatthetime razor. Fuck them, waste of time and money. Note, I am a hairy mofo, with very course stubble. And yet, my 5 o'clock shadow sucks :(

So I bought one of these a year or two ago with the self cleaning base (waste of time the base was). Best ever. Plenty of oomph to burn through my neck stubble. Doesn't miss hairs. And leaves a super smooth face at the end, with no rash or irritation (though depending on your skin, it may take a week or two for you to adapt and evolve to it). Can be used in the shower too, if that's your thing.

And as others have already noted, pre and post-shave preparation makes all the difference. A warm, damp cloth over your face (or post-shower), then some good cream or balm, preferably brushed on.

Posted Image

Fortunately, I'm in a job now where I can sport sidies and a goatee/beard, so I do. Even with the best tools, shaving is a shit thing to spend your time on.

Edited by elfinke

hahaha @ the im asian post lol

i must admit i dont see many asians with facial hair lol u guys are lucky in that 1 way.. shaving every day is annoying !

I've had the same disposable razor head for almost 18 months. Thats the last time I was clean shaven.

When I did shave, I used to use it as many times as I could, until it felt like rubbing sandpaper on my face would be a better option. Those fuckers are expensive.

'

Those fuckers are expensive.

'

this is why I bought a bunch back in Malaysia, Gillette somethingarather but they worked out to be like $6 aussie for a pack of 4!

I only shave once a week, so by the time I do shave it's a decent growth...so I prob get maybe 8 shaves from a one if that, it'd prob last longer if I shaved every day

I should shave every 2 days.

My beard is a joke, all patchy. Not worth growing.

I normally get about a month out of a razor, the razors being cheap triple head from Woolies.

Im reading alot about replacing mach 3's every few shaves...

I cant understand it myself, ive been shaving with the same blade 2-3 times a week for over 6 months now. And i know i dont have "soft" facial hair cause i go through 2 single blade bic razors per shave, man those things go blunt quick...

Ill personally never use any thing but a mach 3, best shave ive ever had, and ive tried em all pretty much

If you're looking for a good source of info about shaving then the Badger & Blade is the place to go.

I've found old fashioned wet shaving with double edge safety razors, badger brush, and shave soap to give the best shaves (other than the old cut throat razors and I ain't quite got the courage to try one by myself yet).

If you're looking for a good source of info about shaving then the Badger & Blade is the place to go.

I've found old fashioned wet shaving with double edge safety razors, badger brush, and shave soap to give the best shaves (other than the old cut throat razors and I ain't quite got the courage to try one by myself yet).

Heh I sliced myself plenty of times with the safety razors but except for rough skin patches, if I was in a hurry, I had no problems with the cut throats.

I do advise against using them in a moveing vehicle in rough conditions (I've done land and water but not air like this) unless you are very used to handling them. :{)

So today was my first shave without any blood :P Awesome. The past two times I've shaved, on the upper right part of my neck, I had about a dozen spots close together that kept on bleeding.

Wasn't sure whether it's just case I had some veiled pimples there that were sticking out, or whether I was just being too rough. Turns out I was just being too rough, by the time I got there I was a bit too cock sure and that left me hurting myself.

Everything went swanky, although I'm not sure that the razor is giving me as close a shave as the electric shaver any more. Might be time to switch to a new cartridge, or do two passes.

Rob.

Everything went swanky, although I'm not sure that the razor is giving me as close a shave as the electric shaver any more. Might be time to switch to a new cartridge, or do two passes.

you only shave once ?

i would routinely shave "with the grain" a few times, and then "against the grain" until i can't feel any stubble with a slippery wet finger or two

the grain is variable, like the hair direction on your head

end result = smooth as a baby's bottom, but my skin gets unhappy if i do it daily, so i grow a beard instead

same technique applies to neck and beard edges in any case, when i have a beard; clippers to ~#3 for the cover once it looks vaguely unruly

you only shave once ?

i would routinely shave "with the grain" a few times, and then "against the grain" until i can't feel any stubble with a slippery wet finger or two

Yeah, I'm getting the impression that's a requirement. What a PITA :P But, I used to spend a fair bit of time with an electric shaver, and end up with my skin torn to shreds.

Rob.

Pffft - real men use the Gillette Face Fuckeupperer if they need to shave. Go Google it up...

1 shoulder blade. aw fuck it. I took to waxing a long time ago. :p

I used to go through a lot of blades.

Now I only use about 3 a year, so close to 100 shaves a blade. But I currently only do neck and cheeks, leaving an inch with strip down sides and jawline. I also shave in the shower so the hair is very wet which helps a lot.

I'm thinking about that, but that's an entirely different issue :P

Rob.

I shave every weekday (full face) and get at least 4 weeks from 1 blade. But I have one of those vibrating shaft thingies. I also do not use shaving cream, just lather up some normal soap and massage that into facial hair before shaving. Shave in shower. shave multiple stokes per inch of face with the grain before going against the grain

Edited by pappes

I'm thinking about that, but that's an entirely different issue :P

Rob.

Can't help you then . I have a beard and use 0 blade on my head/scalp. I've been using a cordless philips shaver for years. Easy when there's only 2 inches of neck to shave ever few days :p