bcurko

Setting up my ADSL2 connection Properly

Hi Atomic members,

I've run into quite a few issues with my adsl2 TPG connection which I believe I more then likely the result of my modem/router not the actual connection itself..

These are the issues

Wireless regularly drops out and sometimes shows as two different networks even though only 1 is being broadcast

Whenever my brother attempts to download anything using Utorrent regardless if the speed is 1KB/s my connection will cease to work.

Speeds aren't as good as I believe they should be.

The router/modem I am using is a TP Link 8910G v3 with updated firmware and a ADSL Line filter.

I've been considering doing the following since I am going to be streaming to a htpc downstairs and backing up to a Media Station

Buy a Network Switch (D-Link,Netgear, Cisco), Buy a dedicated ADSL2+ Modem, Utlise a gigabit connection so upgrade all the network cards on my pcs probably. And A Wireless access Point for downstairs so the signal is consistent and doesn't drop out....

Would love to hear what you guys would suggest as I don't want to touch TP-Link again..

I was using a TP-Link 8810 1-port ADSL modem before I changed to Cable, it was tits.

That said, I wasn't using it as a router, just as a modem. I also have a couple of TP-Link switches about the house hanging off my Catalyst switch, and they've never missed a beat, so I don't think there's anything wrong with TP-Link as a brand.

Where is your line filter situated? Line filters are supposed to go on every phone line device except the ADSL modem itself. Ideally, the ADSL modem is plugged directly into the wall.

TP-Link is amazing; some of the most advanced consumer gear ive ever used. I use it for all clients and myself.

The issue you're having IMO, is overlapping networks.

I had the same at my place. 'auto' channels was causing no end of dropouts.

Go into your wireless router settings and lock it to a channel (assuming its wireless N, force it to channel 1, and if possible 40mhz)

Do the same on your wireless driveces network card in device manager.

I'll put money on it that it goes stable.

If not, and it is Wireless N, try forcing a lower speed connection on the wireless.

If all you're using it for is internet sharing, and not file sharing between PC's, you could 1/10th your connectoin speed and still be faster than your 'net connection.

But force a channel first :D

Whenever my brother attempts to download anything using Utorrent regardless if the speed is 1KB/s my connection will cease to work.

Speeds aren't as good as I believe they should be.

As for those two lines, remeber 2 things: 1. internet speed has nothing to do with your wireless, even if in the same router, they're different hardware modules.

What speed are you getting? If less than 8mbps download, switch your modem to ADSL1 settings and see how it goes.

and 2. Utorrent?

Unless he's stealing stuff, ask him to use other download methods.

Whats happening is that torrents create hundreds of connect attempts right away and can crash even the best of home modems\routers.

However, ive neve rhad TPlink gear crash on torrents; look into the security features. I dare say DDOS protection is on, or somehting simmilar.

Disable all the built in router security and see how it goes.

Whack his PC into the DMZ of the modem\router he'll love you for it and it'll hopefully stop your issues (tell him to run a software firewall though).

As M_S said that is because utorrent is flooding the modem with connection attempts, or his upload speed is flooding the connection. Remember if the up bandwidth is totally full this will kill download speed too because requests cannot be "sent out".

In Utorrent (or any other p2p client) set the max up speed to 80% or a bit less of total upstream bandwidth, for ADSL/ADSL 2 about 250Kbps should be ok.

Set download rate to about half your connections actual speed, set global max number of connections to 100 or less (80 or less to be safe) and set max connected peers per torrent to less than 50.

All that can be found under Bandwidth. In queuing set max active torrents (upload or download) to less than 5.

If using one of the more recent versions of Utorrent go to Bittorrent and turn off the peer discovery and peer exchange crap unless you really need to torrent between PCs on the LAN (and who the fuck would, that's what shared folders are for) and if on private trackers you must turn off DHT too.

If your bro is using wireless to torrent then that will kill a lot of wireless cards, so you need to use a fixed ethernet cable for torrenting.

That said, my mate has a TPlink modem\wireless router.

and his 3 PCs in his house all have different models of TPlink wireless card (one is USB).

They all torrent, no issues. I dont think its TPlinks fault

My actual internet connection is ethernet I don't use wireless but my sister and brothers macbooks do...

There are no actual lines being used for the telephone as we have only got the cable hooked up to the router/modem no telephones hooked up in the house.

At this current time trying to login to the router isn't working, it keeps appearing with the login dialog even after I enter the default values. (which haven't been changed)

I'm still considering just getting a dedicated modem and then using a network switch with a wireless access point downstairs to fix everything up.

Edited by bcurko

The router/modem I am using is a TP Link 8910G v3 with updated firmware and a ADSL Line filter.

^~ This is your problem based on this ~V

There are no actual lines being used for the telephone as we have only got the cable hooked up to the router/modem no telephones hooked up in the house.

Where on earth is this line filter? You DONT filter your modem.

^~ This is your problem based on this ~V

Where on earth is this line filter? You DONT filter your modem.

There is no line filter at the moment I took it off, the modem/router are built into the one device..

The router isn't even allowing me access to login and change anything now and no I haven't changed the password.

unless you have a physically broken modem, its your computer setup.

This shit is so hard to diagnose online.

Factory re-set the modem\router, and start again.

I think your first concern is torrents. You need to find a way to limit the connetions, or block torrenting.

Make sure your routers firmware is the latest.

I think your first concern is torrents. You need to find a way to limit the connetions, or block torrenting.

I can't reset anything there is no outside access being allowed into the router, I think it's officially fcked. My concern is trying to establish why youtube/facebook are screwing up on my computer and others every so often and then working fine for a week straight. Might just go to JW Computers buy a new adsl2 modem and a gigabit switch. Had enough of this shit screwing up My dad is at the point where he wants to switch back to cable to avoid this shit. I hate diagnosing shit!

I can't reset anything there is no outside access being allowed into the router

So you cant physically walk up to it with a pen and hold the factory reset button for 10 seconds?

I can't reset anything there is no outside access being allowed into the router

So you cant physically walk up to it with a pen and hold the factory reset button for 10 seconds?

I'll try again but I did that last night and then tried to login and it still wouldn't let me :(

If it worked you would have had to re-enter everything, so you didnt push hard enough.

ADSL password\username, wireless settings, etc. will all be blank

You need the push them reset buttons for quite a few seconss not just 1 or 2. Depends on the brand of course.

If it worked you would have had to re-enter everything, so you didnt push hard enough.

ADSL password\username, wireless settings, etc. will all be blank

I'll see how things pan out, atm it seems to be working relatively well (for now)

Cheers

My dad is at the point where he wants to switch back to cable to avoid this shit.

Wait, cable is available and you're pissing about with lousy old ADSL?

Posted Image

Bigpond Cable 200GB unbundled for $69.96 a month if you have a Telstra home phone and something else with big T (mobile, Foxtel, etc)

Bigpond Cable 500GB bundled for $148 a month including an unlimited local+national+mobile calls phone line.

Optus Cable 500GB bundled for $84.95 a month including a basic phone line with some credit.

Cable internet has none of these modem box, router box, double NAT bullshit issues. You plug in your WiFi router, it gets an IP by DHCP, you're online. The Cable modem is completely transparent.

Edited by SquallStrife

My dad is at the point where he wants to switch back to cable to avoid this shit.

Wait, cable is available and you're pissing about with lousy old ADSL?

ADSL2+ correction :P

Optus Cable 500GB bundled for $84.95 a month including a basic phone line with some credit.

Cable internet has none of these modem box, router box, double NAT bullshit issues. You plug in your WiFi router, it gets an IP by DHCP, you're online. The Cable modem is completely transparent.

This is my current speed.. (slits wrists)

Posted Image

Probably going to go with optus as I doubt Telstra Cable is going to give me anything near my unlimited quota with Foxtel bundled..

So I'm thinking if I go cable just have it running through a gigabit switch because we have 6 ethernet connections and then get a wireless access point for downstairs.. sound good?

Edited by bcurko

The top Bigpond bundle provides 500GB, same as Optus. The choice will come down to whose cable you have access to.

With Bigpond, you get to choose between 2 modems. A Netgear CGD24N, which is a cable modem/router with N wireless. The other is the classic Motorola SB5101. It does no routing, so whatever you connect to the Ethernet port is connected directly to the Internet. If you use the Motorola, you still need an ethernet router, like the Linksys WRT54G or similar. You would then attach a gigE switch to that router.

Edited by SquallStrife

The top Bigpond bundle provides 500GB, same as Optus. The choice will come down to whose cable you have access to.

With Bigpond, you get to choose between 2 modems. A Netgear CGD24N, which is a cable modem/router with N wireless. The other is the classic Motorola SB5101. It does no routing, so whatever you connect to the Ethernet port is connected directly to the Internet. If you use the Motorola, you still need an ethernet router, like the Linksys WRT54G or similar. You would then attach a gigE switch to that router.

Yeh except there is a bit of a price increase with the Telstra plan.. I'll see what we decide to do cheers for the help :)

The Telstra plan comes with essentially unlimited phone calls within AUS though, hence the price difference.

Also, I'm not sure what modems Optus offers. I know they offer the Motorola modem, but presumably they offer some form of modem+router+wireless type thing as well.

Whichever way you go, good luck getting it all working! :)

Edited by SquallStrife

Some streets have both... Some of my friends were living on such a street till the house they were renting got condemned and they had to move out.

Pretty rare though.

Edited by SquallStrife