Trekker

samsung galaxy s2

Wait, did I just see Symbian compared to Android?

No. It was more a 'built in features' compare, not the OS as a whole.

though for lols i did always like that iOS couldnt multitask out of the box yet early symbian could, and still can, hehe.

Hang on. You're suprised that the price of the latest top-of-the-range gadget deviates significantly from where it would be if price was directly and mathematically related to performance/features.

Welcome to at0mic, you must be new here! :--p

FTR, I do agree that the Galaxy S is still a great phone. But the Galaxy Tab is literally a jumbo version of it, so getting both over a GSII is insane.

Hang on. You're suprised that the price of the latest top-of-the-range gadget deviates significantly from where it would be if price was directly and mathematically related to performance/features.

Welcome to at0mic, you must be new here! :--p

yes. thats the main issue I have.

Time to time people release a device with a truly worthwile price poiunt (or drop the price on one quickly).

To me, THESE are the gold phones\devices.

The device that everyone can afford, while still offering the features people want.

As i said, S2 is a beautiful phone, dont get me wrong, its just in my oppinion not 'the golden child' people are making it out to be. Not untill it hits $300\minimum cap land.

And by then, who knows? we may have something else out that challenges its price point.

Also, as for the TAB, i'd like abig one for the couch, and one to carry with me. Maybe im just excessive. I know a lot of people who own a laptop AND a desktop, so why not a tab AND a phone?

Oh, I get it now. You can't afford a Samsung Galaxy S2 so you will attempt to denounce it.

Samsung gave me my one. For free.

How do you like them apples?

Oh, I get it now. You can't afford a Samsung Galaxy S2 so you will attempt to denounce it.

I went one up and stole one. :p

WTF man? thats starting to sound a little personal.

I can afford one, as i said, I just dont see WHY i would spend $700+ on a device thats usable features can be matched by a sub $300 phone.

"best android phone ever" - ok

"Best phone ever" - due to the price point? hells no.

I can afford one, as i said, I just dont see WHY i would spend $700+ on a device thats usable features can be matched by a sub $300 phone.

I have a solution for you: don't buy it and STFU :--P. It's clearly not a product for you. Nor me - the last time I treated myself to cutting-edge tech was when I got my 17" LCD. Which happens to be a (dead sexy) Samsung 172x, funnily enough.

Nobody's demanding that you buy it. It just blows my mind that an at0mic member doesn't understand why someone would. It's like SLI/Xfire or an expensive sports car: an extravagance that nobody really needs, but which some people just really want.

Haven't you ever splashed out on yourself?

MS, are you still running Windows 3.1 cause it can do everything Windows 7 can and it uses a tenth of the memory, CPU and disk!

This shit is triple rainbow funny.

Amen.

This thread is turning quite ugly very fast and already has derailed from original purpose and intent.

Tech wise, the GS1 vs the GS2:

CPU: 1GHz single core A8 vs 1.2GHz dual core A9

RAM: 512MB vs 1GB

Storage: 8GB vs 16GB

Battery: 1.5Ah vs 1.65Ah

Camera: 5MP vs 8MP

Video capture: 720p vs 1080p

Extra bits GS1 lacks: HDMI out over MHL, OTG, NFC (if you include Korean GS2 variants), HSPA+ connectivity.

And that's before you even touch the software side of things, so that's where most of the $$ is going. But really isn't it like that with any new tech? The latest and greatest is always inflated in price, that's the price of being on the cutting edge.

TBH I can see both sides to an extent here. I do see the huge value in something like the S2 and all it can do, so I'm definitely on the side of 'OMFGAWESOME' as far as it goes, but I can see what MS is saying about utility, in that some older smartphones have already got impressive functionality; phones as a whole have never quite grabbed me as a do everything all-in-one device. I certainly wouldn't want to give up or move back from my iPhone 4 (which is broadly equivalent to the i9000) but barring epenis issues I'm not chomping at the bit to upgrade and satiated with what I can do with iOS 4.x - my co-worker's i9100 doesn't cause me to want to get it, as impressive as it is.

*runs and hides from Cyber's banstick*

Wow, jesus titty fucking christ.

hmm theres that pic of 'jesus fucking christ' about the net. but this complicates things a bit. someone get plebs on the case.

MS, are you still running Windows 3.1 cause it can do everything Windows 7 can and it uses a tenth of the memory, CPU and disk!

This shit is triple rainbow funny.

Amen.

No, but I know a lot of people who are using previous gen (windows XP) because it does essentially the same day to day tasks as 7.

but I can see what MS is saying about utility

Thats what ive been stabbing at all this time.

What we have here is a different oppinion of what makes tech awesome.

As an example: Latest Maserati, say. This is cool. But do I really care? due to price; no.
But wait! Its the latest gen in cars! to say a bad word against it might be met with community hate and smart arsery.
"Its the best thing, everyone should sell their houses, or take out a loan or payment plan to own one. I dont care if you already own a car from last year, thats a My10 model, this is  My11; its last gens model, its junk! Whats that? Your car has every feature you commonly use and was significantly cheaper? Irrelivant!"

Im sorry, and I know I mostly stand alone here, but everyone elses argument sounds bogus to me.

Im sitting there streaming some music to my mates tab over 3G, while playing an emulator with a bluetooth controller, as it recieves a txt, is logged into MSN, social networking (his) and IRC in the background, and when i realised i forgot to make a share on my VPN at home, quickly paused my emulator and switched to RDP to fix that.

My other mate walks in with his S2. Holds it out and declares how awesome it is. I take it away for a couple of hours to mess with; after I bring it back, I couldnt find anything it could do the tab couldnt.

Every app, every task, every utility, and i noticed no lag on either. "Wow mate thats awesome, congratulations!" all while thinking "What does this one do that the cheaper one doesnt?"

From a dev point, fair enough, from a user perspective, please tell me someone can understand WTF i'm getting at.

CPU: 1GHz single core A8 vs 1.2GHz dual core A9

Ive never seen lag on the S1 or tab, why the dual core?

RAM: 512MB vs 1GB

Its a mobile device. My PDA\old XP machine has less ram. Even running all the above description I noticed no 'out of memory errors' on the S1\tab

Storage: 8GB vs 16GB

Fair enough; Im a memory card guy. This is valid for some people though.

Battery: 1.5Ah vs 1.65Ah

I'll admit this, but 'slightly bigger battery' is not a huge price justifier

Camera: 5MP vs 8MP

Irrelivant on such a tiny sensor.

Video capture: 720p vs 1080p

See above

Extra bits GS1 lacks: HDMI out over MHL, OTG, NFC (if you include Korean GS2 variants), HSPA+ connectivity.

Which are all very neat; but I do ask once again who will miss this on a DAILY (eg. price justifiable) level. Amittedly there will be a few. there always is. But I'm confident the majority will never use it as more than a 'phone with apps'

Ive never seen such a huge backlash from "great device, but not worth the price hike" before. Fuck!

Edited by Master_Scythe

please tell me someone can understand WTF i'm getting at.

No one ever understands WTF you are on about. So get back in your cave and keep rubbing two sticks together to keep warm.

Nobody's demanding that you buy it. It just blows my mind that an at0mic member doesn't understand why someone would. It's like SLI/Xfire or an expensive sports car: an extravagance that nobody really needs, but which some people just really want.

Haven't you ever splashed out on yourself?

Thats probably the difference.

No I havent.

Ive tried once, well, more than once, but i always end up returning the product within a day or 2.

please tell me someone can understand WTF i'm getting at.

No one ever understands WTF you are on about. So get back in your cave and keep rubbing two sticks together to keep warm.

Well in that case; can everyone send me all their android devices that arent the S2 for free? They're obviously worthless if my argument holds no merit.

That's a ridiculous statement. You seriously do not understand technology, in the slightest, if that is how you think. Whether it be smartphones or laptops or what ever.

That's a ridiculous statement. You seriously do not understand technology, in the slightest, if that is how you think. Whether it be smartphones or laptops or what ever.

I do understand technology.

First it has to be technologically superior to that which came before it (check)

For a product to be good, it has to be easily affordable and justifyable for the general consumer (nope)

Clearly everyones idea of affordable differs; but as i said earlier, my oppinion, not gospel

and how is that a rediculous statement? Its what everyones been implying.

Ive been stating, its an improvement, but not enough of one to justify its worth.

Everyone else ha sbeen disagreeing; so clearly, the value of the older devices is amazingly depreciated suddenly.

EDIT: and I notice as usual, everyone is fighting me without being able to answer the one challenge I put forward: If you own a cheaper 2.3 device, or a late 2.2 device and have, or want, to upgrade; what does this new phone offer you that you need or, even want often enough to justify it.

Im honestly curious to learn.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Dude, have a look at the specs, the latest model is far superior to previous models and far superior to any android smartphone on the market. You say you have never seen the previous Android OS show any signs of lag. I say you are either drunk, retarded, blind or all of the above.

There's more processing power, setting the benchmark for smartphones to come. There's far more storage. There's more RAM and you say you have less RAM on your XP machine....well that's nice, thanks for telling us. RAM for a smartphone is quite important.

It can record video in 1080p....show me an N Gage that can do that?

There's even been an Android developer in this thread telling you it is far better from a development stand point and you choose to ignore him.

Are you out of your fucking mind?

Edited by twinair