Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Trekker

samsung galaxy s2

im seeing the ads on tv for it so it'l be here soon as posted above,

i wonder if i can piss my galaxy s1 off?

I looked at this phone in a Optus store. I wasnt impressed with the quality of it, too plasticy, and too much like 'look at me , I look like an iPhone' kind of mentaity about it.

I think Apple are even suing Samsung because it looks too much like an iPhone.

im seeing the ads on tv for it so it'l be here soon as posted above,

i wonder if i can piss my galaxy s1 off?

I wouldn't bother.

Install the S2 firmware on your S1 and it becomes 200% better.

My mate has one on optus. Ive had a fiddle.

Its fast, yes; but... why?

Its not a tab, its a phone.

Low end 2.2 androids can play all the games, movies, music, are smooth, and surf the web fine.

Its not a tablet; but it sure is trying to be.

IMO? Waste of money. a cheaper phone and a cheap tablet to go with it is a MUCH better purchase.

its just too powerful for a tiny device; you have no chance to use it to its max.

About the only device ive seen use its power is what i like to call 'the ngage'[sony Experia Play] (as i always owned an ngage and loved it :P).

Optus have 2 deals (or had, last month):

1. samsung galaxy 2

OR

2. Galaxy 1 + galaxy tab, on the same plan (i think they were $59 a month?)

Go 2.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I think Apple are even suing Samsung because it looks too much like an iPhone.

Apple are suing Samsung in regards to the Galaxy S1 vs the Apple iPhone 3GS.

I have the Galaxy S2. Got it as I was over the crap slowness of my old N97 (and Symbian's just about dead), wanted Android and wanted the best so it'll last me a few years (I buy my phones outright). Can be had for low $700's if bought from overseas.

Loving the speed of it. Getting an MHL cable for it so I can play 1080p videos over HDMI when I'm at friends houses etc.

Haven't got into it yet but there's a lot of emulators available on Android, SNES, GBA, N64 i think too etc I'm sure those need a bit of grunt. Combine that with the MHL cable and well, you get the idea :P

My mate has one on optus. Ive had a fiddle.

Its fast, yes; but... why?

Its not a tab, its a phone.

Low end 2.2 androids can play all the games, movies, music, are smooth, and surf the web fine.

Its not a tablet; but it sure is trying to be.

IMO? Waste of money. a cheaper phone and a cheap tablet to go with it is a MUCH better purchase.

its just too powerful for a tiny device; you have no chance to use it to its max.

You clearly don't get smartphones.

Why would I want to carry around a tablet and a phone also? When I can have a powerful device that fits in my pocket and I can actually make/take calls on it?

As for the 'older' devices running 2.2 being just as fast and smooth as the S2, come off the grass mate.

I've used a million and one smartphones, this Galaxy S2 is one of the best I have used. Ever. I've been using it for a couple of months now and I love it to bits.

It's sleek, light and very fast. The UI is extremely snappy, unlike ANY other previous Android based device. Forget about playing games and watching movies. If the device can't even allow me to navigate the user interface without hiccups I don't want the fucking thing...which is what Android has been guilt of in the past.

The only downside is its virtual keyboard and the model they use for a dictionary. The iPhone is much easier to use when typing and walking, it corrects things almost perfectly. The Android version, not so good. That is the only thing that bothers me. Given I use it a lot for email, I need it to be as clever as an iPhone in that respect before I make the complete switch from iOS to Android.

Edited by twinair

Thats a fair oppinion twinair, but i still disagree.

My old nagage from early 2000's could handle full speed UI changes, play all the above games mentioned (bar N64) on emulators, make and take calls, get onto IRC, surf the net, and so on.

My Current E63 can do all the above still.

And a shitty 1.6 android phone my mate had before his Galaxy S2 could do the same! (it was an LG something i believe?)

And the idea isnt that you carry both, its that you have the option. You tried doing a decent RDP session on a smart phone? Its fucking small! on a galaxy TAB its at least bearable.

It probably comes down to personal use though doesnt it?

Im my tests, none of my 'smart phone friends' can type as fast as me on my hardware keyboard phone.

When they start going on about their latest and greatest games, i'm usually playing monkey island on SCUMM or any game from a previous gen console.

My battery lasts longer

My calls are just as clear

What else is there?

Im not here ot argue 'android vs other' as i love android. But the question I DO put forward:

What can the Galaxy S2 do, that the Galaxy S\DellStreak\iphone3gs cant?

How often will you use said feature?

How much are you paying for it?

Its one of those 'wow i have a new thingy' then you wonder where the money went IMO.

Its a great phone! an incredibly great smartphone!

What its NOT, is a leap forward. Small step maybe? but not a leap. Not by any stretch.

Thats just my 2c; its not gospel, just an oppinion.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Wow, jesus titty fucking christ.

You're comparing an N Gage from 2003 and Android 1.6 to a Samsung Galxy S2 running Android 2.3 and you reckon that they are the same.

I will need to get over this fact before I can even begin to contemplate reading through the rest of your uneducated rant.

Edited by twinair

What its NOT, is a leap forward. Small step maybe? but not a leap. Not by any stretch.

You clearly havent used a S2 yet.

Wow, jesus titty fucking christ.

You're comparing an N Gage from 2003 and Android 1.6 to a Samsung Galxy S2 running Android 2.3 and you reckon that they are the same.

I will need to get over this fact before I can even begin to contemplate reading through the rest of your uneducated rant.

Im just saying theres not a thing that the new phones can do, that my old old ones from before cant.

Business tools? (conversion, word, excel etc) yep.

Games? (thousands of games in the form of emulators which IMO will always beat 'smart phone games) Yep

Phone? yep

Txt? yep

MMS? Yep

Web Browsing? Yep

Movies and MP3s? Yep.

Android was a big leap in 'ease of use', not so much day-to-day features. but from 2.2 onward, its small steps and not worth the money imo.

Yep this is the no sense makes non logic that I love about MS

You clearly havent used a S2 yet.

But I have.

RDP, Emulators, web surfing, phone+txt, and music+movies all worked basically identically to all revious versoin of android ive used.

Nothing seemed to have changed. Not enough to reflect the price.

As i said, clearly you disagree, and i'm interested to know exactly why? Ive explained my reasons.

EDIT: please note: my main argument here is Money vs Advancement.

The taco? really?

Hours of sonic rom hacks, web browsing, and MSN got me through lunch breaks back in school days :P

Edited by Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe - you're entitled to your opinion and I applaud your continued use of the nGage. I agree that the SGS2 is not a leap forward - it's an aptly named sequel to the SGS, and meant to continue the success of the brand.

I think the horses-for-courses approach suits mobile tech very well, especially where it's a device for personal use. Besides product- and need-based priorities, we all have different thresholds for when something is too much of a luxury to justify the cost. I take a certain amount of pride in making the most of what I have - I just came back from a trip where my N97 Mini proved much more useful than my mates' iPhones (iP4 and 3GS).

SO

My '97 Mitsubishi Magna essentially does everything a brand-new Aston Martin DB9 can do and suits my needs perfectly. In fact, in some ways its the superior product. However if I could get the latter for $4400 (twice the price of my car), don'tcha think I would?

EDIT:

As for features and tech that new phones have which are lacking in old ones:

GPS

NFC

Many other wired and wireless connection types and grades

Orientation sensors (gyros/accelerometers)

Widgets

New materials

Stupid amounts of sheer power (enough to decode FLAC, record/edit/play HD video and literally replace a notebook PC)

You obviously have no need nor wish to use these, so you don't see value in them personally. But surely you can understand the value placed in them by people who do want or need these features.

Edited by thesorehead

Are you spewing up this bullshit via your Windows ME computer?

Samsung Galaxy S2 - 2011

CPU 1200mhz - dual core.

Storage 32GB

Display Resolution: 480 x 800

Video-out: 1920x1080 (1080p) resolution

Dimensions: 66.1 x 125.3 x 8.49 millimetres

Mass: 116 grams (battery included)

Cellular:Networks: GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS850, UMTS900, UMTS1900, UMTS2100

Cellular_Data;Links: GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+

You can read the rest here.

Now, let's see...

N Gage classic - 2003

CPU 130mhz LOL

Storage 3.4 MB LOL

Display Resolution 176 x 208 LOL

Do you want me to go on?

Ok!

Mass 137g

EDGE? No

3G? No

WLAN? No

I can totally see now why you think an advancement in technology is overpriced.

Because looking at those specs, I can't see a single leap forward in technology.

Get a brain cell dude.

Edited by twinair

Wait, did I just see Symbian compared to Android?

I... err.. WHAT?!

As an Android developer, I can tell you now, modern Android phones are a fuck load better than any model that shipped with 1.6. I've had to spend weeks writing code just to cater for shitty sensors in the likes of the HTC Desire and its predecessors. The GSII should be a reference phone, it is the gold standard as far as I'm concerned.

the ngage thing was just an extremist example. If you notice my first claim it was GalaxyS vs GalaxyS2; as the price difference is quite significant. THATS what i wanted the justification on.

Edited by Master_Scythe

The only downside is its virtual keyboard and the model they use for a dictionary. The iPhone is much easier to use when typing and walking, it corrects things almost perfectly. The Android version, not so good. That is the only thing that bothers me. Given I use it a lot for email, I need it to be as clever as an iPhone in that respect before I make the complete switch from iOS to Android.

Try these out:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.n...n_au_free.input

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.t...key.phone.trial

stats from pevous post - cut for wall of text avoid

And yet with all those technology advancements, with the exception of hardware limitations (eg. connection types, which i agree WAS a leap in its day); isnt it a little sad that they still cant do more?

As i said. My argument here is Previous gen (2.2, or simply, cheap 2.3) vs 'the latest' S2

But for lols.

Games, videos, music (mp3 and ogg), surfing, chat, and so on. If Symbian\nokia could manage it back on 133mhz with minor lag (and NO lag once the overclock.sis was released), why do we need dual core 1ghz+ to do it now?

Thats not my original argument anyway.

2.2 android phones, say, the ideos, $99-180.

2.3 phone S2 - $700+?

Is it REALLY 7X better on a day to day basis? Ill always admit the occasional 'hey i like it saved me this once' but nothing is worth that much IMO.

Or everyone is richer than me ><

It depends, do you want to piss off the Android devs by filling the market with shitty phones? :P

Because I'm sure many just blacklist cheap phones so they don't appear on the market - it's just too much hassle to work with them.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.