Juggs

Video Hits axed

From: http://www.themusicnetwork.com/music-news/...ideo-hits-axed/

Video Hits axed

Australia’s longest running music television show, Video Hits has been axed by Network Ten.

A spokesperson from Network Ten publicity neither confirmed or denied the axing saying, "All networks continually look at their programming lineups to make changes for a range of reasons and any programming changes that we make will be announced in due course."

The weekend broadcast programme which first aired in 1986 is the second longest running music televsion show in the world and has boasted a string of regular presenters including Kelly Cavuoto, Axle Whitehead, Hayden Guppy, Nathan Sapsford and most recently Faustina 'Fuzzy' Agolley and Dylan Lewis.

This news will undoubtedly come as a blow to the Australian music industry, effectively marking the end of substantial music television on commercial free-to-air networks.

The show has hosted some of the music industry's best with The Black Eyed Peas, Kanye West, Coldplay, John Butler Trio and Sneaky Sound System among those interviewed.

Video Hits was previously dropped by the network's regional affiliate, Southern Cross Ten who ceased broadcasting the programme in 2009 to air their own chart show, Hit List TV.

Its a shame really. Not that I've watched it in the last few years. I used to put it on in the background from time to time, just for something different. When I was younger, I used to watch rage all morning before flicking it over to Video Hits. I used to try to win some of those competitions as well but I don't think I ever won anything. At least it would have been a runners up prize or something (I can think of a few things I've won over the years, just can't remember where). My sister won a Green Day pack with shoes, and a skate deck, so that was pretty cool. I also knew someone who actually won a grand prize and got a family trip to Disneyland. Unfortunately she said it was the worst trip ever, they didn't look after them in any way, and they had to fight to get any information (or the full extent of their winnings) from the sponsoring company of the competition.

So yeah, gone. Didn't realise it was the longest running music program in Aus, either. Or second in the world, for that matter.

Oh, and inb4 obligatory "meh, it was all shit music anyway"...

YOUR FACE IS SHIT!

Yeah....RAGE kicked off 1987. Damn good run, even if I did think the music was shit from the early nineties onward.

Interesting side-note, I went to school with Dylan Lewis...couple of years ahead of me, but his old man was one of the teachers and was a pretty cool dude.

So...yeah.

Wonder reality-TV bullshit 10 will slot in in its place (cause that seems to be all the local programming 10 does these days, outside of Neighbours).

To be honest, I didn't even realise it still existed!

Same.

Not trying to attack the music industry, but so much of it became 'samey' i thought the TV stopped caring.

In the 90's you'd watch video hits and have a mix of funny, heavy, emotional, hiphop and so on.

Last time i ever tried, it all felt 'ghetto influenced'. All topics to do with growing up without done to a simmilar beat.

Havent heard any happyhrdcore on there since 'the logical song'; I dont see the TV playing dubstep (did they?), aussie hiphop never seemed to make it to air much, good luck ever seeing any decent metal on there (read: anyone owned by nuclear blast), and so on.

It seemed to be 100% rap\pop, which, at the moment, seems to be holding each others hand anyway.

I haven't watched either Rage or Video Hits for years......the contents' rubbish, and repetitive.

hopefully rap music, and bland pop songs will follow Video Hits in it's demise.

:|

Last time i ever tried, it all felt 'ghetto influenced'.

Do you mean 'black'?

To be honest, I didn't even realise it still existed!

This^^ Plus I have the music channels on foxtel.

The show has hosted some of the music industry's best with The Black Eyed Peas, Kanye West, Coldplay, John Butler Trio and Sneaky Sound System among those interviewed.

Wow, they couldn't list 5 artists without scraping the bottom of the barrel?

Rage is always awesome for late night guest host shenanigans, the clips are much better, and no ads!

VH should have just done away with their hosts, interviews were always the worst part of the show, and just played music imo. Dylan Lewis was actually alright though I suppose, (what was that kids show he was hosting for a while there?).

This is a generational change as well though; why wait for your favourite song on the TV when you can youtube it whenever you want.

Edited by Periander

Oh thats a shame :(

I remember watching it as a kid on saturdays. The whole family had to get up early so we could watch my brother suck at baseball, usually an early morning game. I hated it but wasnt allowed to stay home alone. Weekends also had Video Hits on the TV while I got ready to be bored at baseball. The music was good and got me in a good mood and was the only good thing about being up early!

When I was a teen, then it was Rage then VH. Actually, as a kid I used to record Ground Zero with Ugly Phil. It was on too late for me so I set up the VCR to record it and I watched it in the mornings...

90's music was great. I remember trying to win an Aqua competition and also ringing up a thousand times to win a Third Eye Blind comp. All I won was an arse kicking when the rents saw the phone bill.

Then I found Channel V on foxtel, it was like VH and Rage all day long!

Now im an adult, and I dont have foxtel, and VH is gone, and im never awake to see Rage lol. Poo.

Eh, it had a good run, it was bound to fall apart under the load of mass produced RnB/Pop shit. I enjoyed it as a kid when it was called Video Smash Hits, but then sorta grew out of that type of music.

At least we still have Rage... Friday night Rage is god tier.

Edit: Not the same show!!! I'm so disillusioned! :S

Edited by SquallStrife

There is simply no need for it. If i want to find music video's ill go to youtube and I won't have to sit through 6 vids I don't like to get to one i actually do like.

This is a good thing..it makes all those mainstream sheep start looking elsewhere and making up there own minds about music.. or turn the channel haha..

Last time i ever tried, it all felt 'ghetto influenced'.

Do you mean 'black'?

Dunno what he meant, but I would have used the same term: Not all blacks are stuck in ghettos, nor are all inhabitants of ghettos black.

I would have thought Rage was older than Video Hits, my Google-fu says it ain't so. Rage was 1000 times better though.

R.I.P ill always remember waking up as a kid and putting you on and listening to you. even though you did introduce me to the back street boys and Eminem. I will remember singing along as a kid. Rest In Peace

This is a good thing..it makes all those mainstream sheep start looking elsewhere and making up there own minds about music.. or turn the channel haha..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Video hits was something I got sick of watching recently...

The hosts, interviews and product spruiking competitions pushed it downhill. Watching tv ads and then some program ads before getting to (okish?) music made me flick to something else.

It is a shame. I remember I used to leave it on at Sunday or Saturday to see if i can fancy some new music I've never heard before.

Video hits was something I got sick of watching recently...

The hosts, interviews and product spruiking competitions pushed it downhill. Watching tv ads and then some program ads before getting to (okish?) music made me flick to something else.

God, I hate that about Today Tonight. They'll do a segment on a 'great new tv show' or whatever, which is just the latest bullshit reality show for channel 7, then they'll cut to normal ads. Ads interspersed with ads. Free to air television you say?

I have that on vinyl.

Rob.

...Why?

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony