moffat

Adding wifi to desktop for new smartphone

Proud possesor of new smart phone that supports 802.11 b/g/n and f all idea how best to access broadband while at home.

New to wireless, smartphones, networks, the lot.

Currently have fast new Win 7 system with spare slots and an Optus supplied cable modem

linked via ethernet so USB port on modem is unused.

How best to add Wifi? Would rather not change modem unless necessary.

Once I have an idea what is the best H/ware to start with I can begin to tackle my ignorance of networking.

What think you?

How much cash are you willing to spend?

Maybe shell out for an access point instead of a card?

You can pick up one pretty cheap. I picked up a Netgear WNR2000. Wireless N, 10/100 switch for 55 bucks from MSY

This way, you can connect to it with your smartphone and any other wireless device. Plus, if you want to learn a bit more about networking and happen to buy a second PC, you can cable it, or if it's a laptop, you can connect it wirelessly to your router.

If you go the other way, and buy a wireless card for your PC you'll have to dick around with ad-hoc connections, internet connection sharing, NIC bridging maybe... and if your PC is switched off, your smartphone cannot connect.

I'd be going option A. (Access Point)

Edited by twinair

As twinny said best solution by far is to get a wireless router and fit it between the PC and modem, then set up wifi LAN for any wireless devices you have.

This avoids the pain that is windows ICS and obviates the need to have the PC on to access the net on the phone.

get the cheapest usb wireless n dongle from anywhere and plug it in, thats what i did and i get 10 ping more than i do than wired. and i still top the scoreboards on black ops and bfbc2 occasionally.

i think i paid about 13 bucks.

Sorry i must have read that you want to add wifi to your computer, misunderstood

Edited by twents

As twinny said best solution by far is to get a wireless router and fit it between the PC and modem, then set up wifi LAN for any wireless devices you have.

This avoids the pain that is windows ICS and obviates the need to have the PC on to access the net on the phone.

That sounds appealing. I hate pain!

While price is always important twinair I would rather pay more for, I dunno, future expandability or range, or whatever it is you get for 20 more dollars if you know what I mean.

What's the sweet spot for a router?

And while I'm at it. Where would a USB dongle go, cable modem or back of box?

Thanks guys.

Without knowing about your home, i.e is it brick, timber, two story etc etc it's hard to recommend...getting your self a Wireless N router should give you decent speed and range so let's start with my first suggestion, the Netgear WNR2000. It's a relatively cheap model which is packed with features. It's an access point and switching capability. It is only 10/100mbps ethernet, if you want 10/100/1000mbps you'd need to fork out more. But what would you be transferring over this faster network, would it be worth it now? Might be an investment for the future though.

You can spend a lot of money, but you gotta make sure you get what suits your environment. So it's hard to recommend without knowing these environmental vartiables.

How far is your PC from your cable modem?

How many PCs/laptops do you think you would expand to?

How many of these would be cabled Vs wireless?

Have a look at the below diagram, it will give you an idea of what you can achieve by adding a wireless access point to your existing gear.

On this diagram, your cable modem is where it says xDSL Modem and your PC is half way down where it says Desktop on Wired LAN.

Ignore the words and model numbers on the picture really, it's the images themselves you're concerned with, I'm just trying to visualise a basic setup for you.

The WGT624 is the Access Point we are talking about adding (albeit a different model).

It comes with a port for you to plug your cable modem into, with usually another 4 ports minimum to cable another 4 computers/laptops to it.....it also provides wireless access to many many more guests/clients. You won't need a dongle for anything really.

Have a look, see if it makes sense, if there's anything else, let me know.

Posted Image

Edited by twinair

Without knowing about your home, i.e is it brick, timber, two story etc etc it's hard to recommend...getting your self a Wireless N router should give you decent speed and range so let's start with my first suggestion, the Netgear WNR2000. It's a relatively cheap model which is packed with features. It's an access point and switching capability. It is only 10/100mbps ethernet, if you want 10/100/1000mbps you'd need to fork out more. But what would you be transferring over this faster network, would it be worth it now? Might be an investment for the future though.

Have a look, see if it makes sense, if there's anything else, let me know.

I love youse guys. No really, I do. Posts like these are what make hanging around here so worthwhile.

I actually rang my phone network provider (to check on plan upgrade) and asked if I got a router as you suggested did they have an opinion

and without prompting he said, "Netgear work well with Optus broadband".

The Gods have spoken and that diagram was great.

I appreciate the time you take to help.