Sign in to follow this  
MrFriendly

Calling all tea freaks

I sort of gave up on the side effects of way too much caffeine in both tea and coffee years ago and just drink apple juice most of the time :)

Not all teas have the same amount of caffeine in them though, it's usually the ones in the teabags that I tend to steer clear of. I do find coffee on the other hand is way too excessive which is why I converted from coffee to tea, I still have a cappucino occasionally but only in small doses.

I sort of gave up on the side effects of way too much caffeine in both tea and coffee years ago and just drink apple juice most of the time :)

Not all teas have the same amount of caffeine in them though, it's usually the ones in the teabags that I tend to steer clear of. I do find coffee on the other hand is way too excessive which is why I converted from coffee to tea, I still have a cappucino occasionally but only in small doses.

What's the hassle with caffeine? No, seriously - the only things I've ever noticed is that a cup around dinner time makes me very sleepy for about half an hour, and that it makes me pee more than drinking water does.

Some of both the best and worst tea I've had has been ulong. So many different tastes.

I've had mate tea twice, out of the traditional Argentinian receptacle, that was some hard tea drinking. Puerh was strong too, but nothing compared to mate. Comparing the two made puerh enjoyable.

Otherwise I like plain old earl and lady grey, english and irish breakfast. I love bitter sweet maccha too, but I've never made it myself.

As someone who owns over 20 different teas, and has sampled many more:

Houjicha Roasted Green tea

Lapsung Souchong smoked black tea

And anything made with Rooibous.

The roasted green tea is like nothing iver ever tasted, its AMAZING and a traditional tea in japan.

Lapsang tastes like smoke, in a good way. If you like strong smoked meat, you'll love this tea. another unique one.

Roobious has no caffiene, so its nice at night. Tastes like a cross between black and green with a distinct nut aftertaste.

EDIT: most tea doesnt have caffiene directly, it has a sister chemical, which affects very few. but those who it does affect, experience a very strong caffiene like experience. Im one of these people.

Edited by Master_Scythe

What's the hassle with caffeine? No, seriously - the only things I've ever noticed is that a cup around dinner time makes me very sleepy for about half an hour, and that it makes me pee more than drinking water does.

Caffeine affects people differently though. A coffee used to put me to sleep. Now if I have coffee in the early evening, I just skim the surface of sleep that night.

Caffeine affects people differently though. A coffee used to put me to sleep. Now if I have coffee in the early evening, I just skim the surface of sleep that night.

More Turkish and Greeks coffees for me then, I guess. ;)

More Turkish and Greeks coffees for me then, I guess. ;)

A Turkish friend of mine went back home to Turkey shortly after the earthquakein March, leaving me her pot, and has been sending me regular batches of Mehmet Effendi coffee since. She also sent baklava and Turkish delight to augment my caffeine highs with sugar. While here, she also taught me the basic method for reading emptied coffee cups as well, not that I'm so inclined wih that stuff generally.

Speaking of accompaniments and side dishes, youkan is great with green tea.

Been getting into the T2 lemongrass/ginger lately.

Me too :} A fab mix. Doesn't have to be T2 of course, lemongrass is the parsley of the tea world. On its own a bit dull (though makes a super iced tea), and is a top foundation for adding various flavours.

I like ginger. I'm feelin the ginger right now too Ash. Buy a baggie of the dried stuff at a health food stop. Doesn't hurt in a stir fry, either.

e: BTW Mr 'Friendly' - we're not "freaks". Tea's the world's most consumed beverage, don't ya know :}

In closing, while tea bags from some well regarded makers are acceptable in an emergency, loose leaf is the way to go. Lets you adjust the strength, and mix for fun.

Loose leaf lets you own a lovely array of glass jar-filled concoctions, which look great in a kitchen and inspire you to add to. And buying some classy glassy pots is also cool. Get a small one-cupper one for when you're on you're own (don't bother with those silly dangler 'orb' single-serve mesh things), and a bigger 3-4 cup pot for a tea party. Bodum make really nice stuff.

Lastly, boiled water should be poured on the tea when it's about 95 degrees. So just let the kettle sit a minute after it boils before pouring, that makes the max flavour happen and doesn't burn away the flavour.

Lastly lastly, green tea is a cancer preventing, brain-feeding, disease Great Wall wonder stuff. Better than a snack when you feel like a snack, so keeps you looking good. Read up on it. It's the real deal.

Edited by Flouncy

Peculiari-tea

In certain regions of China, traditional doctors use a special tea to treat the flu, diarrhea, nosebleeds, and heatstroke. This tea is brewed from caterpillar poop.

Posted Image

Edited by r00tk1ll

technically that's not a tea as it is not from a Theacea plant, rather an infusion, and its use would be classified as a medicanal herb rather than a beverage.

^This

@twinair

It is only my presumption in terms of the level of caffeine content in teas but technically I'm not sure, I do know that theres about twice as much tea in each teabag than I would normally consume though.

White Tea is my favourite,

when I feel rich and fancy: http://www.theteacentre.com.au/products/Ch...s-Yin-Zhen.html

when I am not as rich: http://www.theteacentre.com.au/products/Ch...Pai-Mu-Tan.html

when I have enough money to buy the southern hemisphere: http://www.theteacentre.com.au/products/Ch...s-Jun-Shan.html

I also am partial to jasmine:

http://www.theteacentre.com.au/products/Ja...onkey-King.html

I dont really like wierd fruity blends, but whenever I got to three monkies, I always get 'artic fire' tea, what it contains, I have no clue, but it's delicious, minty and warm

technically that's not a tea as it is not from a Theacea plant, rather an infusion, and its use would be classified as a medicanal herb rather than a beverage.

i'd drink that poop. Edited by r00tk1ll

So a number of months back my doctor put me on this weird ass diet to trouble shoot some nasty stomach problems. Part of all this is I had to give up coffee (which made me a sad panda) and not have any sugar.

Out of all this, I developed a taste for black tea without sugar. At first it was just the basic teas like English Breakfast and Earl Grey. Then it came to my attention that since one of our biggest clients is a boutique tea retailer, we have a huge selection of their teas in our office. Thus began my tea obsession.

I'm constantly trying out different teas: black, white, green, yellow, tisanes, herbals. They're all awesome.

So, calling all tea freaks, tell me your favorite teas, and exotic teas worth trying.

Liptons Intense... brewed as strong as you can... with a teaspoon of honey.

Green Tea I used to like, but have lost my taste for it. I am however keenly interested in tasting the creme de la creme of green tea... Oolong tea. However I'ts expensive I believe... and I'm not sure where I would import it.

Then there is the stuff I drink for my liver, which is better now... but I keep drink. Roasted Dandelion and Chicory Root tea. Tastes kinda like coffee... has no caffeine, and when made from the bags, can be bloody strong. It's not for the unprepared.

Been getting into the T2 lemongrass/ginger lately. Really anything with ginger is doing it for me these days.

Also started to acquire a taste for jasmine tea. Its pretty nasty to start, but it grows on you and its got some kick.

Hmmm, actually I think we have some of that Oolong in the kitchen, and i can't remember what it taste like. Best I go and find out!

-A-

I have the T2 lemongrass and ginger one too, but used mainly as relief for hay fever or a cold. Clears the head very nicely. My absolute favorites are white tea with ginger and white tea with jasmine, also known as buddhas tears. Hard to go back to anything else after being accustomed to these two. Out of the commercial blends, I don't mind Lady Grey.

You don't realize how bad the commercial blends are until you start drinking the good ones.

T2 is better than teabags by far, but you can still tell its somehow more mass produced. The flavor isnt as robust.

Go to somewhere like the tea center or t-licious and try their individually in store packed teas. Even the same flavor is better somehow.

T2 is 'better' but its in no way a 'great tea'.

Anyone tried Silver Needle before? Its about $100 for 20g.

Worth every cent.