Frizzl

Had a call from Microsoft regarding some infections on my PC!

Gharph: Getting a number id is not that hard. There are various devices that can do it even if people have 'number blocking' enabled. These devices *ARE* illegal, but there is no way to actually detect whether you have one installed unless you slip up and tell someone who will complain that you have their number. You're typically safe when dealing with scammers. At the end of the day, the way number blocking works is NOT to 'not send your number', but to prepend your information with a string which makes caller id return a non-value. If you have a device that reports ALL the information, then you have their number. (Simplified, but accurate enough)

They also DO call themselves "Microsoft Support". I've had 2 that said MS support and 1 that said Windows Support.

I don't have time for them. I tell them that "I am an IT tech who works electronic security and am well aware of this scam which has been notified by scamwatch. It would be advisable to remove me from your call list and if you call again I shall notify relevant authorities"

AD

I got these calls almost daily for about a month, ~6 months ago, haven't had any since though.

I really feel sorry for any gullible fool who buys into this scam.

I've tried what you did Frunj on the very first call, asking for the IP/hostname/anything and they can't provide you with shit except jargon designed to confuse lesser minds.

Edited by p0is(+)n

:)

I only just made it back to this thread - been busy - no Twinny - does the SCC mean anything to you? :)

He's not there any more, kinda wanders and made the mistake of being in Washington - at this time of year - I think he's sleeping at the office, being it's central heated :)

The latest one we are getting is Indians claiming to be from Melbourne wanting to save us money on our 'phone bills - that would be interesting - we have VOIP, a fixed cost mobile, an under-used mobile plan that is less than they offer, and a line used purely for security monitoring, I suppose I should optimise that a bit but it costs three fifths of fuck all anyway.

My wife usually picks up the call, she has a rather interesting way of saying fuck-off... :)

I did think I was maybe being scammed by a Uni thing a few weeks ago but it turned out to be a scam running under a legit offer that has been paying good biz returns, they'll try anything, I vote we hit back - I'll check the arsenal :)

Cheers

Quick fix for those with young kids - hand the phone to them and tell them that the person on the other end is Santa! :P

Had the call once - told them I wasn't interested and ran a Mac, then hung up. (well? My WORK computer is a Mac lol)

I am still yet to get one of these, my family are all safe as I have warned them that if they have PC problems, to call me.

If anyone of my non-tech-savvy relatives or friends gets this call, they know to tell them to fuck off and they can call me to check their PC out.

The next few steps, I began to lose her, and told her I had a Mac.

She told me to "Go to hell and eat an Apple". So not only was she trying to scam me, she lost her shit when someone else played around with HER.

Ahahahaha!! I had a similar thing I had this Indian guy call my home phone and I kept him on for AGES, I'd make him go through every step like 3 or 4 times.. then I'd say whoops I accidentally opened the wrong window.. pretty good effort considering I was lying in bed watching TV, I was bored n injured at the time, after a while I finally said said "ohhh yeah, I sorry, I'm using Linux" He fucking lost it!!!! said something weird and similar, there may have even been a fuck you in there too though, it was sweet....

Edited by Chuck Norris(good actor

Love it how the indians fuck everything they lay thier hands on..

If it smells like curry, you gotta worry..

;)

Even with the 'wink' there, this kind of racist crap is not on Sir. Consider this a warning.

Get out of bed the wrong side this morning Ghar? :)

He does have a point, and so do you, but it does get tiring having all these calls, especially when it ties up a line we use for business.

Cheers

Well, Betzie's comments were flagrantly directed at Indians and had nothing at all to do with any kind of 'tech support' what so ever.

Everybody's getting these goddamn calls but me!

Haven't even got one either at home or work!

;)

Even with the 'wink' there, this kind of racist crap is not on Sir. Consider this a warning.

Well, Betzie's comments were flagrantly directed at Indians and had nothing at all to do with any kind of 'tech support' what so ever.

If the shoe fits...

So when was the last time I dunno..., the Jews ran a call centre scam?

Being blunt is not being racist, and playing the racist card is far more ignorant than me being my blunt self.

shows what you really know betzie, jews don't have to work the call centers, they all have family money.

call centers are abundant in india, and so is poverty.

;)

If the shoe fits...

So when was the last time I dunno..., the Jews ran a call centre scam?

Being blunt is not being racist, and playing the racist card is far more ignorant than me being my blunt self.

I think you're more of a bogan than anything else.

shows what you really know betzie, jews don't have to work the call centers, they all have family money.

So that would be marginalising the Jews just as much as I've been accused of doing to the Indians, lol

I think you're more of a bogan than anything else.

If the shoe fits...

Like I said... :)

So that would be marginalising the Jews just as much as I've been accused of doing to the Indians, lol

just trying to lighten the mood in here :)

Next time someone here gets one of these calls, care to grab the EXE and send it to AV companies? (/us)

I'd be interested in what they're using, but I'm under no illusion it'd be their own custom software. Probably a branded version of UVNC Single Click or maybe even something like TeamViewer.

So AV companies would just reject it's application, since it's a legit program.

Actually the most recent I have heard about is not even VNC or similar but a web site with activeX. Seems getting nubs to install and run a VNC programme was too difficult.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa...v=vs.85%29.aspx

Follow up I thought some people might want to know about.

A client of mine just had one of their kids get fooled by one of these guys, luckily he figured it out and terminated the call and turned off the computer before they got to the credit card stage.

The program they used for remote access was a bog standard one:

http://www.ammyy.com/en/

The only other program they installed before the kid got wise was ARO 2011.

They downloaded it through this website*, presumably the people running the scam.

*EDIT* Whoops, that was not the website. Looks like they did some googling to try and solve the problem themselves and came upon that site and that was the last page viewed so I assumed that was it. The scammer just directed them straight to the ammyy site and then used their browser to download ARO from cnet.

Edited by tantryl

I had that call last week. I was in a hurry so I just told them to fuck off and hung up.

Usually I ask them to call me back, on the number of the local police station.

Nice! I've only been called once, and I just told him to fuck off... but I'll try to remember that one next time : )

My wife had one of these, the call went along the normal lines so I whispered redirect the call to me. SHe said My husband looks after our computers, can I get you to speak to him

Yes madam

I'll just transfer you...

Hello ... scam starts again

Me - wait are second - do you say you are in MS support?

Yes sir!

Are you based in country?

Yes sir!

Are you Sydney based then?

Yes absolutely?

MS technical support?

Well my wife's put you through to me at work. I'm standing in the middle of the floor of MS technical support call centre - stand up and wave to me please!

Rapid hang up...

Haven't had any calls backs since them; so easy to fool scammers

I'm always rude to them. I like to make their job unpleasant. I tell them i make a ton of money fixing what they do. Most hang up. One guy got upset that I was calling him a scammer. The last guy was threatening to post my details on the internet and to make sure my phone received a call every minute of every day. I said go ahead and post it. I can warn everyone that calls about your scam eventually he hung up and his supervisor called a minute later saying that this was the first follow up call etc and that I need to apologise for using 'slang'. I said I was sorry he was a scammer. After a while she called me illiterate and hung up. I haven't heard another thing. I wasn't worried about the number as anyone who knows me uses the VoIP number and I only keep that one for emergencies and the internet.

I did start to wonder about this one though, if they though they had legitimate jobs in a proper call centre. I'm thinking about trying to educate the next one about what happens when you get someone to wipe their c:\windows\inf folder. See if they are suprised or just hang up.

It doesn't surprise me that the employees of their places don't consider themselves scammers. It's easy to convince yourself that you're performing a valuable service (running a few fairly innocuous registry sweepers and anti viruses which, if you don't understand the results of those scans that often find hundreds of "problems", makes it look like you're actually helping). And not mentioning the price or that you're going to be charging upfront is a fairly common cultural thing in some places.

Just because they're not aware they're scamming doesn't mean they're not though.

The one I am getting at work at the moment is an offer to boost my ‘Google’ ranking

I do feel sorry for the call center monkey, do they think they are the only call center to have ever called? Do they not know that the delay at the beginning of the call is what tip us off that it is a scam? That most of the time I can hardly understand them due to the accent?

The one I am getting at work at the moment is an offer to boost my ‘Google’ ranking

I do feel sorry for the call center monkey, do they think they are the only call center to have ever called? Do they not know that the delay at the beginning of the call is what tip us off that it is a scam? That most of the time I can hardly understand them due to the accent?

We had someone ring our house who had a Asian like accent . They knew my email address and phone number which really got to me ,kind of think this might have to do with all these database hacking and forums being hacked. Anyhow after a while i just said to my Father lets call the Police and check this out, next i hear the phone drops out and i get a beep beep. Kinda laughed a bit.

It doesn't surprise me that the employees of their places don't consider themselves scammers. It's easy to convince yourself that you're performing a valuable service (running a few fairly innocuous registry sweepers and anti viruses which, if you don't understand the results of those scans that often find hundreds of "problems", makes it look like you're actually helping). And not mentioning the price or that you're going to be charging upfront is a fairly common cultural thing in some places.

Just because they're not aware they're scamming doesn't mean they're not though.

Oh yeah, I know they are still scamming, which is why I was thinking of educating them a bit one what they are doing. rather than just plain abuse next time. I don't think that some of them realise they they are actually damaging computers. Maybe they will care and maybe they wont. It might be an interesting exercise though. I'm sure there are people out there who have their heart in the right place thinking they are doing a service. Probably get lists of people who have their computers, supposedly, full of viruses etc.

If anyone does try this, let me know. The main issue I find is the deletiong of everything in the inf folder from what I have seen.