Sign in to follow this  
ArcaneMagik

[PC] League of Legends

I did see a 6 month old thread, but I thought a fresh one might be the go.

So who else is playing this game?

I never really got into DotA, but this game seems amazingly well balanced and pretty good fun even against bots with pick up people.

I'm nearly level 10, so just finishing off my first week, and have using ingame gained points to unlock 2 characters for myself so far - Janna and Sivir. Now I say that outloud it makes me look like a dirty perv. Well thats only because Blitzcrank is way too expensive to get as my first character.

I'm finding the style of gaming enjoyable, with it being like a team based sport rather than SC2 where loads of things can come and go in your favour. I still haven't completely learnt the map, even though it's the only map I have been playing on for like 50 matches.

Maybe my enjoyment of this game is a little due to new player rose tinted glasses. We will see... I only get to play it actively for another 2 weeks before uni goes back.

How long does it take to level to 30 in anyone else's experience?

I never really like these "dota for noobs" games, that being said, a couple of my NWN buddies left to play LoL

I used to play it for ages but then i just had enough of shit team mates, bad mouthers, leavers and the fact for Australians, you can only achieve around 200 ping in any game. The least you can get is like 170ish.

I am level 30 and let me tell you it takes a fuckload of time. One match can go up to a hour. For a casual basis like ummm... 2-3 matches a week. It could take you half an year or less depending on how many matches you win...

The thing is, many things can secure your win or lose. If someone from your team leaves early and never comes back, unless your team can make a delicious feed from the enemy eventually your team fights will be outmatched and ultimately you will lose. If more then one person leaves, you're pretty much screwed.

Once one team had like a score of 20 and the other has 10, if the team in favor just sticks together in every fight. GG. Add a baron to that and you might as well kiss your nexus goodbye.

If someone fails their jungle , you team will be pretty behind. If the enemy team is smart, you'll suffer.

It is a satisfying game when you have good team mates and make a real killing out of the enemy. It can get pretty fun and with friends the fun can be immense. But the negatives/positives weighing on my scale just doesn't suit me anymore.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

I personally much prefer Heroes of Newerth:

1. You don't have to unlock every character/aren't restricted to a weekly list.

2. You can deny creeps.

3. HON just feels a lot more responsive, balanced, and rapid.

That's just my opinion, but I have played both, and started with Dota.

The only downside to HON, is that a lot of the Dota players went to HON, which means that there's a lot more noob hostility.

Big fan of the ARTS games ... and by that I mean DOTA, HoN and LoL.

Now days I pretty much stick to LoL. DOTA is still good but its getting fairly old and really is held back by the fact that it HAS to sit on the WC3 engine, not complaining too much though because the game was epic.

HoN is a carbon copy of DOTA, bit for bit. Only HoN isn't as balanced and the PSR thing simply goes off your win/loss ratio. Meaning you can own in a game, but be let down by your other 4 teammates who fed / died, which leaves you getting stuck wit ha crap PSR. HoN however is still really good.

LoL is where all my time goes now days, it's easily the most balanced version of the 3, it's well paced, all champions scale well, and there is a HUGE focus on teamwork over the "get that 1 hero on your team to full items, then stand back and watch him wreck the other team 5v1!" as seen in DOTA.

Both are very different in terms of gameplay though. I wouldn't say LoL is easier, I find it harder due to the focus on team work.

I'm 'Gharphield' in the game too if you wanna hit me up for some games. I'm level 23.

Interesting, I find the gameplan of feeding to power up one hero as much a teamwork strat as any, just combat is a bit different?

It's rare that 1 hero in LoL can carry a whole team. Say in DOTA if you had a Void who's been fed, then late game he's completely going to wreck team battles, even 3 v 1 or something.

But that's DOTA. Besides at first glance being the same game, they are extremely different.

Been a fan of League of Legends until my attention was shifted to Black Ops last year. But I guess this game is just good enough, but not really appealing in the long run.

I'm currently capped at the moment, but on LoL I'm 'Gharphield' as well.

Sunday I'll be un-capped and be able to play again, which should be good.

Hey guys,

I've been playing this a bit recently over the last few months, and a few friends just got into it last week so I've been on a lot. I am not great, but I think I am ok. I also think it is much better than DOTA, however I don't like that it allows duplicate heros on opposite teams.

I usually play a tank like Malphite or Amummu.

My UN is ex4n so add me if u like, I am usually on for a game or two a few nights a week.

Cheers.

I'll add you, I've been playing fairly poorly lately :( so don't expect Golden things from me and I'm sure we'll have a fun game! :)

I thought they changed to the LOL model where it's now free to play but with a roster, but if you paid for it then you have the legacy version which has the full roster. Correct me if I'm wrong - but also you can choose to play with the FTP people because they are not "verified".

Pretty sure LoL has always been free, and it is actually HoN that has recently been free to play.

I don't feel the need to have every character at my disposal 24/7. I am happy to unlock the characters I want/ones I liked playing in the weekly rotation.

This also encourages everyone to go for different heros, not just pick the one thats most OP, and to try new heros each week.

My only complaint is one mentioned by TinBane, you can't deny creeps in LoL. Makes it way too easy for them to still earn, even if your owning your lane.

Edited by p0is(+)n

I thought they changed to the LOL model where it's now free to play but with a roster, but if you paid for it then you have the legacy version which has the full roster. Correct me if I'm wrong - but also you can choose to play with the FTP people because they are not "verified".

When I wrote that in July, it was correct.

Yes, they've adopted the LOL model.

However, anyone with a predating account has access to every hero.

You can choose to play with non-verified players, or verified only.

Even if you are FTP you become verified when you finish enough battles.

What's your name in HON?

Guess mine and add me :)

That's also one good point about HON, it's got mac and linux support, and it's designed so they all update at the same time, and it's stable.

Add me as - GHARPHIELD if you wanna play some time.

I still play, I had a bunch of wicked games on the weekend (smashed it). Unfortunately I can't really lock down when I can play, etc, it's fairly random.

Hell.. I'll give it a go.. I'm typically sucky at these type of games. But if people don't mind playing with me for the LOLZ (The game. Not me.. You sick minded puppies).

I can provide a vent server if needed. :P

And Gharph. I can understand why things can be a bit hellfire with timing. :P

I'll let people know my login name when I sort it out.

AD

Gharph: It's hard playing with a little one isn't it.

I had 1 hr yesterday to play. In that time I got 5 phone calls and 1 door knock. ALL the phonecalls just wouldn't take a hint (As I'm grumpy, I'll call them "My wife's friends"). "No, he's not here. He was going to come but plans changed. Yes. I sound grumpy because I can't concentrate on 2 things at once and the OTHER thing can't be interrupted easily. No. No. No. Ok bye. No. Bye.. Really. BYE" 5 minutes... In 1 hour, I got less than 10 uninterrupted minutes.

Grrrr. When playing solo vs bots you should be allowed to pause. (If the option is there, I haven't found it. And this option ONLY in solo vs bot). Further, at present if you leave the game for 5 minutes or so, even in solo vs bot, you can be banned.

So. A few gripes. I feel too deep-ended because of the lack of pause. I'd like to be able to have time to familiarize myself with various aspects of gameplay and not cripple my game horrendously. As an example. The shop. I have NFI where anything is. I have to search to find what I want. So, because I can't pause in solo vs bot, I'll lose a good 45 sec - 1 minute whilst I try to find something.

Oh well. All that will be solved with experience.

AD