tantryl

Best Sci-Fi flicks of the Noughties

Best Sci-Fi Flicks '00-'09  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Best Sci-Fi Flicks '00-'09

• Pitch Black ('00)
    • Donnie Darko ('01)
    • Equilibrium ('02)
    • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind ('04)
    • I, Robot ('04)
    • Serenity ('05)
    • Children of Men ('06)
    • District 9 ('09)
    • Moon ('09)
    • Star Trek Reboot ('09)
    • Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen ('09)
    • A Scanner Darkly ('06)
    • Vanilla Sky ('01)
    • Primer ('04)
    • WALL-E ('08)
    • Sunshine ('07)
    • Minority Report ('02)
    • Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs ('09)
    • Cypher ('02)

Didn't anyone else find District 9 to be overly cheesy?

I just couldn't get past it.

An entertaining movie, for sure... but 'best'?

No.

Didn't anyone else find District 9 to be overly cheesy?

I just couldn't get past it.

An entertaining movie, for sure... but 'best'?

No.

Big +1...

The characters were so over the top I thought it was wholly unbelievable and just painful to watch.. seriously... the main character seemed like something from an SNL sketch..

My vote though would have to go for Children of Men.. and a big call for Moon for second.

District 9 was entertaining, but nowhere near "best" anything. Eternal Sunshine might have got my vote, but I just can't see it as a sci-fi. The sci-fi elements are, I'd argue, more than just a MacGuffin, but still not enough to justify the genre tag. Moon was good, definitely one of the best movies of the decade, but I'd still rate Children of Men above it. Just an absolutely fantastic movie in every regard. There's so much packed into every sequence, yet it never slows down (or at least, it never feels slow). It's got action tied with exposition that delivers a worthwhile message using superb actors and locations that completely immerse you.

Virtuoso: I thought I was the only one who thought Vanilla Sky was worthwhile.

What in the name of fuck is Transformers 2 even doing on this list. If it were a list of films I wish I'd never seen because they were so fucking awful and I can never get those lost hours back then I could understand.

Edited by disolusiond

Imma throw in a new one that I don't think has been mentioned.

I was a massive fan of Danny Boyle's "Sunshine" when it was released. Implausabilities aside, I really enjoyed it.

I thought Vincenzo Natali's "Cypher" was completely under-rated. Again, not my favourite on the noughties, but certainly one I enjoyed a lot. Plus, it has Lucy Liu.

"Minority Report" was rewatched a lot by me on DVD release, although that was partly because I was scavenging design ideas for uni.

Another unlisted one, "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs". Fucking. Yes.

I caught "Moon" and "District 9" on a double bill in that order and loved both of them, but following "Moon", "District 9" just didn't quite meet my expectations.

But for top billing, I too am going to go with "Children of Men".

Who are all these people voting for Pitch Black? It's a terrible film!

I really enjoyed District 9. No, the story wasn't some kind of incredible new paradigm, but it was a good solid story nonetheless. The thing I really loved was the world building, a really interesting premise, and a message that was well delivered if a bit blunt.

Children of Men was definitely a level up, though. A beautiful film, that one.

I haven't seen Moon, though, so I'll have to get hold of that.

Who are all these people voting for Pitch Black? It's a terrible film!

I haven't seen Moon, though, so I'll have to get hold of that.

He he he...I voted for Pitch Black. I must be one of those rare people who liked it. I liked the plot, the characters and the simplicity of the filming. I don't have to like Vin Diesel but I did like what he did with the character. And Radha Mitchell was great in it.

Moon is a brilliant flick and rates in the top 3 for my picks of the noughties.

Where's my 'Phantom Menace' option?

That was released in the 90s.

No kidding? Man it's like the eighties was only a year or two back, I lurve getting old..... :(

I was a massive fan of Danny Boyle's "Sunshine" when it was released. Implausabilities aside, I really enjoyed it.

I thought Vincenzo Natali's "Cypher" was completely under-rated. Again, not my favourite on the noughties, but certainly one I enjoyed a lot. Plus, it has Lucy Liu.

"Minority Report" was rewatched a lot by me on DVD release, although that was partly because I was scavenging design ideas for uni.

I caught "Moon" and "District 9" on a double bill in that order and loved both of them, but following "Moon", "District 9" just didn't quite meet my expectations.

Everything you just said +10

Sunshine was wonderful the soundtrack really bought the whole movie together. Minority report is another fantastic film I dont know if anyone but tom cruise could have made it work but its awesome and Cloudy with a chance of meatballs is just a funny as fuck film.

Edited by mudg3

I was really surprised by just how much I disliked Sunshine. I couldn't quite believe it myself -- all the elements for my own enjoyment were there, but I just didn't enjoy it. So I watched it again; I liked it even less the second time around. *shrug*

Minority Report was just dull. The set-piece action sequences were boring on their own, and never quite tied together well enough to give that "on the run" feel (unlike, say, Children of Men).

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs? Come one! It's an awesome film, sure, no question... but sci fi? Really?

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs? Come one! It's an awesome film, sure, no question... but sci fi? Really?

What other genre does it fit into?

Sure, it's the extreme fantasy end of the sci-fi spectrum, but I'd still call it sci-fi.

Added based on more than one person approving of them:

A Scanner Darkly ('06)

Vanilla Sky ('01)

Primer ('04)

WALL-E ('08)

Since a bunch of people have already voted, with mod approval I'll make another thread in a couple of days to include suggestions and remove superfluous non-starters.

Where's my 'Phantom Menace' option?

That was released in the 90s.

And there's already a joke option :P

He he he...I voted for Pitch Black. I must be one of those rare people who liked it. I liked the plot, the characters and the simplicity of the filming. I don't have to like Vin Diesel but I did like what he did with the character. And Radha Mitchell was great in it.

I included Pitch Black because it was a fun flick that I liked and figured a few other people would too. Although I am pretty surprised it's managing to run as 4-6th best SF flick of the decade.

What in the name of fuck is Transformers 2 even doing on this list. If it were a list of films I wish I'd never seen because they were so fucking awful and I can never get those lost hours back then I could understand.

Read the OP. And the thread. Or just think about it for a couple of seconds. Or just realise that it's the best movie ever made, magificently written with outstanding performances from the most creative and talented people in the business who can tell a tight and perfect story with engaging characters and compelling action. Michael Bay is a god amongst men, and Jerry Bruckheimer is Jesus/Heracles!

And as I was writing that up, the following got their second nod and I'll add them now:

Sunshine ('07)

Minority Report ('02)

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs ('09)

Given the extremely broad scope of what constitutes "science fiction" these days, there's just so much to choose from. Even from what I've seen (which isn't really a lot) the choices are really tough and I'll no doubt remember something awesome after lunchtime.

Hulk (2003). Eric Bana, Jennifer Connelly (drool), Nick Nolte, Ang Lee and Danny Elfman. Respect to Edward Norton, but the 2008 "Incredible Hulk" was shit compared to this.

District 9. This is the way science fiction should be done: despite the awesome opportunity to talk about the gizmos and gear, it's clearly a movie with a lot more depth than that.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It counts, dammit! I love a good tragedy, and somehow this is a comedy at the same time. <3 <3

Source Code. It could just be that I saw it recently, but I've never seen an idea skate so close to the supernatural without actually slipping in. I loved it.

2081. Short film of a short story by Kurt Vonnegut, scored by Chronos Quartet. If only "I, Robot" had been a series of vignettes like this.

Most of the others mentioned in this thread, +1 to them. A Scanner Darkly, Children of Men, Donnie Darko, Cypher, Pitch Black... yeeeahh. Also big love for Inception, Watchmen and Tron Legacy.

Need to see Moon and Sunshine, by the look of things.

Edited by thesorehead

sore fella: Source Code, Inception and Tron Legacy weren't in the noughties.

If I include Hulk I sort of have to include Iron Man, Spider-man, their sequels... I'm not really comfortable with that. But I'll do it if people are adamant they count as Sci Fi.

Cypher has it's second vote, so it goes up.

/me slaps head

Right you are, tantryl. Big <3 anyway.

Also, feel free to put Hulk up as unlike Spider-Man, Iron Man etc it's not a superhero movie. Hulk is a monster, and the fact that he's a comic book character with an alliterative alter-ego is about the only connection :--P

Edited by thesorehead

What other genre does it fit into?

Sure, it's the extreme fantasy end of the sci-fi spectrum, but I'd still call it sci-fi.

Genres are funny, nebulous things. In the case of CwaCoM, it's focus is comedy but you could also look at it as a straight-up action/adventure story, or coming-of-age story (in the sense of a Bildungsroman), or a science fantasy (as a piece of speculative fiction that takes many elements of a fantasy narrative -- magic, mythological creatures, parental relationships, moral quandaries, world-changing events, quest companions -- and places them within a pseudo-scientific framework). For me, science fiction needs to take a look at the societal effects of a speculative piece of technology or technological development, with a specific view to the conflicts that it creates. It uses science, in other words, to investigate conflict and society.

But perhaps that's just me.

FWIW Fuzz, we're more or less on the same page re: the definition of Sci-Fi, except my definition is even more broad. To me sci-fi isn't a genre so much as it is a setting or a tool. To me, "genre" refers to what the film is trying to get the audience to experience: fright, whimsy, humour, dramatic tension, action, adventure, wonder... science fiction is just a method or a setting which can be used to tell the story that provokes the response.

For CwaCoM, I'd vote Childrens/Family as the main genre, with Comedy as the strongest secondary, Action/Adventure & Drama as weaker secondary ones and Sci-Fi as a long distant tertiary genre.

But hey, mother fuckers voted.

Sore - I'll put Hulk up if another person vouches for it as both proper Sci-Fi and one of the best of that genre in the noughties, just like CwaCoM. Ditto to the likes of Spider-man, Iron Man etc. if people speak up.

Edited by tantryl