Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
orinjuse

Do you have a 'go pack'?

I've always liked the idea of having a 'go pack' or 'bug out bag', with all the really critical stuff I'd need to grab in an emergency and I had a few minutes to leave the house. I don't have a formal one, but my daily work bag is generally packed, and will have my camera, laptop, immediate medical needs, some emergency food bars, some cash, passport, pens, pads etc, and in the bathroom I keep a stocked toiletries bag ready to go (I travel a fair bit). The first folder in my filing cabinet is also my 'go file', with my birth certificate, photo copy of my drivers licence, academic transcripts, and valuation certificate for my fiancee's engagement ring (I figure she'll have it on her finger if she's running out of a burning house). I'm getting her to add her critical documents to it as well. It would take a minute or two to grab it all and leg it, if aliens happened to land in the back yard, or I heard the sound of Teutonic jackboots a-marching up my street.

Is it casual paranoia, or healthy precaution? Does anyone else have a bug out kit, and what do you have in it?

Guest MrInsaneBuff

Id dont have a go bag, but intend to put one together.

I do however have a Zombie Apocolypse plan, and there are a number of items i have in that plan which i know how to get. I figure its silly paying for the stuff now, when i'll be able to pick it up free when the Zeds are running/shuffling rampent.

Id never have my passport somewhere that was easily accessable unless i was actively using it. No way am i losing my bag, and having to deal with someone using it to steal my identity.

Guest MrInsaneBuff

You mean like the stuff they advertise incessantly on PrisonPlanet.com?

Doubt it.

Yeah, the possibility of theft has crossed my mind, but all the stuff in the bag is replaceable and insured. The laptop's backed up every day at work, and if the bag was gone I'd know straight up I'd need to cancel the passport. If the house burned down, though, it's stuff I wouldn't be able to afford to replace easily.

Besides, you need to get through three front doors which are generally all locked before you get into our house, and there's no access to the backyard except through the house, so it's pretty secure.

MIB - what are you planning to put in your go bag, and what's on your zombie apocalypse looting list? My zombie plans aren't very advanced - I've got a crowbar under the bed upstairs, and a wooden staircase Max Brooks tells me I can destroy to fortify the upper floor.

For about 12 months, while I was working as a tech in a Gov Dept, I had a very basic go bag in the Looker Room at work.

Was just a change of clothes in case we needed to send a team of techs out to remote WA to fix a radio base station, at short notice.

I put that together just after I got sent to Kalgoorlie at short notice. But never had to use the bag once I put it in place.

8)

Why bother?

I am going to be the massive stumbling zombie that grabs you and eats your tasty brains. I will just need to get some kind of head protection that doesn't get in the way of my biting.

I have a grab bag. Same thing as a go bag, I just think it sounds cooler :p The idea being that if I need to GTFO I can just grab it and I'm set for whatever.

Why do I have one? Coming Apocalypse of course. Some may all it Armageddon. Millenniumists :p Nah, really it was just a fun thing to build up. I'm 100% ninja samurai commando anyway I prolly don't even need one :p

Why bother?

I am going to be the massive stumbling zombie that grabs you and eats your tasty brains. I will just need to get some kind of head protection that doesn't get in the way of my biting.

^

I've never seen a zombie moofie with a zed in a wheelchair... Maybe they won't eat me 'cuz I'm below their eyeline.

It's casual paranoia.

In the event of theft you can replace all the items... and the same applies to fire. While the ID might make things marginally easier after a fire it would only be marginally. Your wallet alone would do the same job.

In the event of zombies/Germans/Charlie-in-the-Trees then everything in your kit is useless except maybe your toiletries, and even then they're just a tiny bit of comfort.

There's an outside chance the unspecified medical items could be useful, and the food bars could be useful... but not much of one.

So... casual paranoia.

everything I need is in my moto jacket, I am looking to put together a better one and buy a vast tract of land somewhere Inland QLD so I have somewhere I can go and I know I can sustain myself.

I get up in the morning and put on my heavy metal death boots, then I take them off again when I go to sleep.

They're all I need.

I've got a bag just inside my door. At all times it contains:

1 pair 4oz gloves (morgan)

1 pair 14oz gloves (twins)

1 pair 16oz gloves (twins)

1 pair pre rolled 2.5m hand wraps (morgan)

1 pair pre rolled 4m hand wraps (twins)

1 pair foam shin guards

1 pair gel lined shin guards.

1 box

1 speed rope

1 weighted rope

1 dentist moulded mouth guard

1 shock doctor cheapie mouth guard

1 bottle of boxing liniment

Thats not my training bag either. Its my kicking zombie arse bag. If you're going to go laying the smack down for an extended period of time (and lets be honest - your go bag doesn't really sound like it'll sustain you for the long haul), you want to take good care of yourself :P

No. A life on the run is a life without da Internetz and a life without da Internetz is not a life worth living.

I've got a bag just inside my door. At all times it contains:

1 pair 4oz gloves (morgan)

1 pair 14oz gloves (twins)

1 pair 16oz gloves (twins)

1 pair pre rolled 2.5m hand wraps (morgan)

1 pair pre rolled 4m hand wraps (twins)

1 pair foam shin guards

1 pair gel lined shin guards.

1 box

1 speed rope

1 weighted rope

1 dentist moulded mouth guard

1 shock doctor cheapie mouth guard

1 bottle of boxing liniment

Thats not my training bag either. Its my kicking zombie arse bag. If you're going to go laying the smack down for an extended period of time (and lets be honest - your go bag doesn't really sound like it'll sustain you for the long haul), you want to take good care of yourself :P

errr I don't know if that's more of a bug-out bag or a "abduction-and-rape" bag... -_-

I should think of some sort of kit for the bicycle.

Not for apocalyptic situations, although comms wise I have that pretty much covered… but since the start of winter I have not been carrying water, which I should, and I've never carried a first aid kit, which I should also do.

I carry around numerous tools in the front basket, again if there's a disaster with the bike I can do some basic roadside repairs (and I have needed to once or twice). First aid though is something I should definitely consider, as it may just be me needing to be bandaged up after an accident.

I should think of some sort of kit for the bicycle.

Not for apocalyptic situations, although comms wise I have that pretty much covered… but since the start of winter I have not been carrying water, which I should, and I've never carried a first aid kit, which I should also do.

I carry around numerous tools in the front basket, again if there's a disaster with the bike I can do some basic roadside repairs (and I have needed to once or twice). First aid though is something I should definitely consider, as it may just be me needing to be bandaged up after an accident.

Are your communications limited by infrastructure that'll go down or are you able to broadcast as long as your still breathing? I'd like to know how to do all that sort of HAM radio and stuff.

Also were you riding through the valley on friday? saw a guy with all sorts of arials and wires hanging off his bike riding along in front of me.

I don't have a go bag. Since I'm not the sort who worries about such things, I don't think I'll ever have one. However, if the shit were to hit the fan, there is a pile of important documents that I can grab on short notice and photos, videos, etc. are all stored on my laptop and portable hard drive. Other stuff (such as food or medical supplies) would need to be looted from the appropriate store.

However, I do have a great idea on how to make an awesome go-bag that would allow one to survive bushfires, zombies, ze Germans and aliens.

Disclaimer: Do not try this at home. Results may vary.

Contents:

-Bottle of good Scotch and some glasses.

-Pack of good cigars and working lighter.

-Big bag of blow and a mirror and razor blade.

-Vouchers for hot, busty hookers.

Instructions for use

In case of ze Nazi German invasion:

1. Lure Nazi soldiers to trap using prominently-displayed hooker vouchers above a table with a couple of shots of Scotch, some cigars and a few lines of blow.

2. As Nazi soldiers approach, smash Scotch bottle and glass them or beat them over the head with it.

3. When dead, steal Nazi uniform and wear. Sneak into Nazi encampment and spike soldiers' food and drink with lethal doses of blow, killing everyone around.

4. Light cigar, have a glass of Scotch, listen to 1930s German music and wait for the Americans to come save your sorry arse!

In case of alien invasion:

1. Introduce self to aliens and show hooker vouchers. Tell aliens that voucher entitles them to free anal probing of hookers.

2. After having earned aliens' trust by introducing them to hookers, introduce them to Scotch, blow and cigars. Chances are their strange alien bodies will not be able to metabolise all these substances, particularly all at once, and they'll die.

3. Run for help.

In case of zombies:

1. Use Scotch and lighter to start big fire. Hopefully it'll consume the zombies.

In case of bushfire:

1. If the fire's too close and you haven't evacuated, you're fucked mate! May as well have a good time before you die!

:P

Are your communications limited by infrastructure that'll go down or are you able to broadcast as long as your still breathing? I'd like to know how to do all that sort of HAM radio and stuff.

It depends on the choice of band, conditions and my location.

On 2m/70cm, in a high location, I can get quite good range. I have talked to people in Toowoomba from the top of Pozieres Road, Tarragindi on 144.100MHz USB using 25W.

I have spoken to a station in Adelaide on 21.185MHz USB from my drive way in The Gap and 100W.

Last year, whilst mobile around the back of Ashgrove Golf Course, I made contact into the south island of New Zealand, again using 100W, on 7.145MHz LSB. That same evening, I could clearly hear stations in West Australia, and I could also faintly hear the US station in New Jersey that the NZ station was talking to.

I also know a few people here in Brisbane who made contact with an amateur, operating bicycle mobile on the 20m band, in England.

Yes, you can do simplex infrastructure-free communications, and quite far!

Also were you riding through the valley on friday? saw a guy with all sorts of arials and wires hanging off his bike riding along in front of me.

Not the Valley, but I was at the Queensland Maritime Museum that evening… around 7:30 or so I was on my way in, coming from the Normanby Fiveways, and departed for home about 9:15. That said, since I've been doing it, a few amateurs have started to fit radios to bikes and do some mobile operation.

Edited by Redhatter

I have made them quite a few times over my life, as i over think everything, which leads to thinking up every possible situation that could happen if X occurred.

So i've made one for a fire escape when my town was half on fire, and there was ash falling from the sky into my lawn, my mum was all 'nope i'm staying to fight' So i made sure all my cats were in the same room ready to be hauled into the car, i packed basic medical supplies, wallet, keys, phone, food, important papers, water etc etc changed out of my flimsy flammable dress and put something more safe on. Luckily we didn't catch on fire, but a few houses near us did.

I've always been ready for a break in, so i have had a bunch of various weapons under my bed for years, cricket bat, knives, scissors, deodorant + lighter, and a piece of concrete on a rope.

But right now, i have no actual gtfo bag, but i always have a plan in my head of what to grab and where it is, number #1 priority are my cats, then handbag (which has all sorts of important things) and then my big folder thing with all my important docs. Then if i have time my hdd's.

If there's an apocalypse, i doubt very much i'd be one of the few survivors living in terror, gun + head thanks.

knives, scissors, deodorant + lighter, and a piece of concrete on a rope.

Posted Image Edited by Takoma

40 litre pack with water, dry food, passport, resume, thermals, beanie and gloves, first aid, bike tools and pump, torch+spare batteries, and money including coins. Recently found, after the Japan quake, that the phone network was unusable, but the 3G network was fine. Using Skype and Viber on iPhone was the only way to communicate, thus I also have a battery charger with spare batteries in there now.

Edited by komuso

Guest MrInsaneBuff

MIB - what are you planning to put in your go bag, and what's on your zombie apocalypse looting list? My zombie plans aren't very advanced - I've got a crowbar under the bed upstairs, and a wooden staircase Max Brooks tells me I can destroy to fortify the upper floor.

Well pretty much first step is to get to my car, so layered clothing would be my first requirement. At this point im really just trying to run and dodge. The less i have to carry the better.

Once in the car i immediatly head to my local bunnings. Here i can build myself a lobos (Sharpened shovel with shortned handle) very quickly for personal protection. Then i up armour my car with welded on security bar's over the windows. Knock out the windscreen and replace with a welded on seciruty door. the ones with the tiny diamond pattern. No point keeping the windshield cos it will bust at some point as i run zed's down. Better to get it out of the way and reinforced. Then a basic bull bar/ plow mounted on the front to nudge shit out of the way.

I have factored 2 hours to do that. It doesnt have to be a good job, just one that will get me to where i need to go. With the pandamoniam going on, i expect i wouldnt be able to get away with any more than that, otherwise i risk the mounting number of zed's coming for me, or someone trying to jack my ride.

I doubt Bunnings will be many people's first stop in a situation like this.

Then i make my way to Holsworth army base.

Long term, items needed:

2 lengths of rope, one heavy duty the other standard climbing.

lobos

6lt camel pack

Small mobile phone solar charger.

2 largwe rolls of duct tape

1 machete

Kevlar bike riding gloves with the first two knuckles cut off each finger

knee pads

padded shin guards

steel cap boots

suppressed .22 rifle with ACOG scope

2 box's of ammo

3 pre loaded clips for the rifle

gun oil

gun cleaning kit

rock climbers tent (so it can be errected high off the ground)

3 bottles of antibiotics

2 bottles of panadol rapid

Hexy burner

Firesteel

Squeeze bottle of petrol

3 days worth of MRE's or aussie equivalent.

Water purification filter (tablets run out, filters can be cleaned)

LED battryless torch with red filter

iPOD

my Nexus 1 smart phone (has a bunch of ebooks on it)

Those would be the things id consider required for any kit i put together, I could add other things as required, but that would be my core.