G-relk

Alternatives to CyberLink for Bluray playback

So, what software do atomicans use for bluray playback? my LG drive got bundled with Cyberlink powerDVD 9, but the software doesn't play nice with both Daemon Tools, or my second monitor which i have flipped on its side in portrait mode.

The workaround is simple enough, but annoying. From what i have seen on the cyberlink forums, its a problem that has been around for a long time, and one that cyberlink don't look to be interested in fixing. So what does everyone else use?? if anyone has suggestions, lay it on me. Have any free media players like VLC gained bluray support yet??

Cheers

G-relk

I had a "quick" look around a while back, to see if I could find any good free ones

Didn't have any luck

My laptop has a Bluray drive, adn came with PowerDVD 10. But, I needed to pay $100 to get the Ultra edition, to play the Bluray movies. Complete rip-off

I look forward to seeing what suggestions come in the thread

VLC fails utterly at blu-ray. MPC can play the m2ts files when you browse them off the disc, but you have no access to the tracks, so you can't change the audio. Which tends to be french or something instead of english.

I use Power DVD 10 Ultra I think, which I acquired. I already paid for PDVD 9 with my BD-ROM, that decided not to work with new discs, so I felt justified in acquiring something that worked.

I don't know how you'd get around your portrait issue. It shouldn't have any problems, unless it's because the 'virtual desktop' or whatever has a much higher vertical res than it likes. Like when you take a screenshot and paste it, the overall image has the vertical height of the monitor with the highest vertical res.

I don't know about Daemon Tools either. I just use Virtual Clone Drive. Free, tiny, useful. I can't remember if DT has any extra functionality. It might do, but I don't think I cared about any.

The good thing about VLC is that you have the source code and you're welcome to fix it. Even if you don't know how to code, you can delve in and find out how it should work so others can fix it.

Portrait issue, could be a hardware limitation… the video frames would be typically drawn scanning left-to-right running down the screen. When you turn a display on its side, the scanning changes to running either top-to-bottom going to the left, or bottom-to-top going to the right. The rotation is done in software. Meaning each and every frame from the Blu-Ray disc must be individually rotated. It could be a bit much to do this at HD resolution in real-time.

Yeah, daemon tools wasnt a huge issue, i cant remember the last time i used it anyway. the main annoyance is having to change all my monitor settings if i want to watch a movie though. THAT is the annoying part.

Im going to see if nero has bluray support yet, might be worth a shot.

Apparently there's a blu-ray plugin for Nero's player. But you may run into similar issues with screen orientation.

Here's a page vaguely reviewing a few different players:

http://www.reviewmaze.com/2011/01/windows-...are-windvd.html

And the comparison chart from the next page:

VLC isn't blu-ray capable because of licensing issues. So it and other free players may never be blu-ray capable unless Sony decide to not be bastards or something.

So yeah, never.

Apparently there's a blu-ray plugin for Nero's player. But you may run into similar issues with screen orientation.

Here's a page vaguely reviewing a few different players:

And the comparison chart from the next page:

VLC isn't blu-ray capable because of licensing issues. So it and other free players may never be blu-ray capable unless Sony decide to not be bastards or something.

So yeah, never.

yeah, i was aware of the licensing restrictions in place. might acquire a copy of nero and see how i go.

Ive only tried 2 movies on a mates PC (no bluray at home) but VLC did fine for those tests.

Hopefully it comes of age soon :D

How does VLC go about playing Blurays? Does it need a licenced Bluray software player installed in order to decrypt disks?

Edited by SquallStrife

Im not sure, it wasnt my PC so I dont know what else was installed.

I thought the decrypt keys were cracked long ago though? (at least the older ones)

How does VLC go about playing Blurays? Does it need a licenced Bluray software player installed in order to decrypt disks?

VLC just refused to play it, just spat back errors about unrecognised formats.

EDIT: for me that is.

Edited by Spider-Man

Yeah, it gives the old 'endless errors' about not knowing WTF to do with .m2ts files. VLC state on their website somewhere, probably the FAQ, that they can't do blu-ray. So I don't know what you were viewing blus in, Master Scythe. Are you sure it wasn't a converted mkv file or something?

It was bluray; though i know this person uses AnyDVD normally, so if they paid for the AnyDVD HD it could be decrypting the bluray on the fly?

I use AnyDVD HD for ripping as well as getting rid of annoying crap at the start of playback you can't otherwise skip. It doesn't let VLC play blu-rays though, at least for me. I'll give it a go now.

Put in Gladiator (never played it before). AnyDVD decrypted it fine.

VLC fail.

Posted Image

Browsed onto disc and played the biggest file in VLC. VLC success!

Link for huge screenshot

So it seems to actually handle the files now which is nice. And it can manipulate the embedded tracks, and it plays English straight up. So VLC may work if you're willing to find all the actual movie files and put them in a playlist. Otherwise, PDVD is just the easiest.

Just remembered I downloaded this player.

Tried my Fellowship of the Ring Blu-ray that was sitting in the drive. Got 'unable to read this blu-ray' error. With AnyDVD running, it plays fine though.

Even lets you take screenshots!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/kat...oy/shot0007.jpg

Really inneficient though, the uncompressed version of that shot was 6MB and looks like a lower-bit PNG or whatever. Still cool that you can do it though.

So yeah, this free player seems to work fine, you just AnyDVD HD to make some (all?) discs play. Which is not free. You could probably get by just by using the free 30 day trials of it, they seem to release updated versions sooner than that anyway.

EDIT: Changed the IMG link to a regular one, image was huge! :P

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony

Tried my Fellowship of the Ring Blu-ray that was sitting in the drive. Got 'unable to read this blu-ray' error. With AnyDVD running, it plays fine though.

That will be the bullshit copy protection (or HDCP?) kicking in. Ie you are not using an approved player or something in the chain from the drive to your screen and speakers is not compliant. Load of fucking arsehole bullshit garbage from the deadshit copyright holders.

The harder they make it to watch on ordinary gear the more people just say fuck it and get pirated versions with the DRM stripped out of it.

You're pretty much limited to Cyberlink PowerDVD and ArcSoft Total Media.

VLC will not play BD natively.

If it was being played, it was probably being played from a 'backed up' HDD copy of the files, which were 'backed up' using Slysoft AnyDVD.

As I found on the previous page, DA Player and AnyDVD HD works excellently, much more user friendly than Cyberlink. I use AnyDVD HD anyway, so it's no big deal to be running it for DA Player. It is less of a hassle to use Cyberlink, and pretty much all BD-ROMs come with it bundled anyway, so you might as well use that just for general Blu-ray playing. But I rip all mine with AnyDVD. I'm a bit behind on my ripping, actually.

You're pretty much limited to Cyberlink PowerDVD and ArcSoft Total Media.

And apparently Nero KwikMedia

http://kwikmedia.nero.com/eng/what-is-it/

Have to see it to believe it. MythTV says it can play BluRay too...but not direct from the disc. You need to decrypt it to HDD first, then play it.

I can confirm it does work. I have Nero 10 Platinum HD which includes KwikMedia and it plays Blu-Rays fine. Not saying the programme itself is great (interface is not configurable enough for me) but it does work.

Really inneficient though, the uncompressed version of that shot was 6MB and looks like a lower-bit PNG or whatever. Still cool that you can do it though.

you're right on the money there - by default it saves in PNG, you can change it to JPG, or worse BMP :)