nesquick

Atomics most powerful system per cm2 build log

Ok so its time for another ITX build since I loved my last one so much and zotac finally released their Z68 ITX board which I have been patiently waiting for like a kid at xmas sitting in front of the tree :D

Plan is basically the following, make it the most powerful ITX machine Atomic has ever seen, and powerful enough to beat some of the normal size rigs people have on here (why aim for just ok?)

-I5 2500K (looks like I can get about 4.5ghz from the zotac with one of these)

-Zotac Z68 ITX super overclock

-GTX 580 possibly a 3gb one.

-8gb of ~2000mhz ram the board can do 2133 native so I might try for that.

-probably a 1tb storage drive

-Silverstone SG06 450w revision

-Sony sata slim dvd drive

-OCZ agility/vertex 3 120gb

-Antec Khuler 620, need to figure out somewhere to mount it, maybe behind the PSU out the back and I will cut some small channels for the pipes.

so basically I have the case, mobo and dvd drive on the way from PCCG, will grab the other stuff from Umart on Friday and have myself a pretty awesome Saturday building the little beauty.

Some pics to give this post some pizaz

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I will update this when I get parts and post lots of photos.

Edited by nesquick

looks very cool

nice to see zotac z68 itx mb is finaly on the market

hmm i was going to suggest looking at this ram but seems it sout of stock

G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD (2x4GB) DDR3 $179

Biggest problem is getting the Khuler to fit and maintaining the ODD, I am looking at scrapping the 3.5" internal drive since I have a caddy for that sort of stuff but its still going to be a pita.

Looking forward to this.

I recon you'll be ok with the Khuler due to the fact that the tubes on both ends are movable.

yea its more a case of fitting it under the ODD, clearance under the PSU will be fine, I might just have my 3.5" backup drive in a caddy or another system and get a 2.5" drive for steam games plus a SSD for windows/apps.

Gonna be sweet as! But you gonna have to fight Mark84 for the top spot!

gpu will be slower than mark's rig but then his is micro atx so although its small its still a fair bit bigger

lol. GAME ON BRO!

Well title says "most powerful system per cm2"

So we're just going off desk footprint, not volume, so mine won't be as bad :P (my rads alone would almost equal the volume of his case lol)

How can we measure "powerful"?

And nes, can't wait to see photos of how you build this. Small builds are way more fun and challenging (maybe even more frustrating) than regular ATX sized tower builds. Should be good.

I'd lose it, I can't stand not having room for stuff. hah!

yea most people do, I can be very patient and meticulous with some things though and its something I have been looking forward to doing for a while.

mark I'd say yours will still probably be more powerful per cm^2 but mine was not thought out with high powered watercooling in mind :) just as minimal deskspace as possible.

So how long until you sell this one? :P

Last one I sold some of so I could buy a home gym to go with my treadmill and I having been using a fairly low end rig for a good 5 months, my last ITX build I had for about 10 months but I plan on keeping this one unmodified until it needs upgrading/repairing.

although I could ask you the same question :D

looks like the 580 is a snug fit and needs a little dremel work http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=103649...p;postcount=955

shame the gtx580 lightning is a foot long instead of 10.5" as a 1ghz gtx580 in a itx would be nuts although the psu would probably have its work cut out for it with that kinda oc to

i guess you could dremel a little more and have it hanging out the front of your case :)

Edited by Dasa

So how long until you sell this one? :P

Last one I sold some of so I could buy a home gym to go with my treadmill and I having been using a fairly low end rig for a good 5 months, my last ITX build I had for about 10 months but I plan on keeping this one unmodified until it needs upgrading/repairing.

although I could ask you the same question :D

Well I hope for your sake you hold onto this rig this time. Also, I don't sell and upgrade all the time, so you can't ask me the same thing :P

looks like the 580 is a snug fit and needs a little dremel work http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=103649...p;postcount=955

shame the gtx580 lightning is a foot long instead of 10.5" as a 1ghz gtx580 in a itx would be nuts although the psu would probably have its work cut out for it with that kinda oc to

i guess you could dremel a little more and have it hanging out the front of your case :)

Yea I have known about the need for a dremel job on the front for a while now, its no big deal I have all the right tools and some clear sealant so it doesn't rust.

PSU is only 36A so its going to be close to 80% with what I have planned for it under normal load I am not sure if I would risk a GTX580 lightning in it

Yeah, there is something to be said for being able to just pull out and put stuff in easily. Mine's and absolute prick if I have to swap the HDD out.

Disconnect rads from WC loop, disconnect the 6 fans, take off rads, take off case top and disconnect side fan, disconnect GPU part of WC loop, unplug and take out GPU, unplug and take out audio card, move all the power cabling out of the way, THEN unplug and take out HDD!

Yeah, there is something to be said for being able to just pull out and put stuff in easily. Mine's and absolute prick if I have to swap the HDD out.

Disconnect rads from WC loop, disconnect the 6 fans, take off rads, take off case top and disconnect side fan, disconnect GPU part of WC loop, unplug and take out GPU, unplug and take out audio card, move all the power cabling out of the way, THEN unplug and take out HDD!

Sounds just like procedure for getting to hard drive of an ASUS EEE.

ah the fun i could have if i wanted to blow 3k

im sure water could be squeezed into the FT03 somehow with a few small rads and a few new holes

Intel Core i5 2500K $225

ASUS Maximus IV Gene Z $279

G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD (2x4GB) DDR3 $179

MSI GeForce GTX 580 3GB Lightning Xtreme Edition $639

MSI GeForce GTX 580 3GB Lightning Xtreme Edition $639

OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD 2.5" $139

Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 3TB 7200RPM $199

Corsair AX850 Gold Power Supply $245

Silverstone Fortress FT03B Black $185 235mm(W)x487mm(H)x284mm(D)

If I never owned damned cars I could =[

I call it being "computer poor", have money, but not to spend on computers =[

I'd steer clear of a lightning unless using heavy water and big volts or dice/ln2