nesquick

Atomics most powerful system per cm2 build log

Very compact, looks sleek!

except for the cable job I did >.> I need to redo it and use some zip ties although its so hard to get your hand in there and you have to build it as if you were playing tetris lol.

Truly fucking brilliant nes - you've done an amazing job and it's awesome to hear that it's that quiet and powerful :)

Truly fucking brilliant nes - you've done an amazing job and it's awesome to hear that it's that quiet and powerful :)

Thanks mate appreciate it :)

I am slowly discovering small caveats in regards to the BIOS, it looks like to control vcore you have to control max wattage during turbo mode however if it goes over said wattage it just kicks it down 1-3 multi's this is most evident in LinX where it will sit between 4.0ghz and 4.2ghz@ 1.25-1.28vcore kind of weird compared to what I am used to but I will see if I can find a work around.

Yeah, that review I read about it said that overclocking was a bit of a let down

Page on that here

EDIT: Still, getting any OC from an ITX board astounds me. Amazing how far tech has come

Edited by nobody813

Yeah I mean can we really complain about a 4+ghz itx quad core system?

It a really cool build nes I think the next time I do a complete rebuild I'll be going matx/itx - but sadly that won't be for a while.

Posted Image

Having recently set up my ageing PC (7900GT, X2 4200, 2gb RAM) in the living room and enjoying the warm embrace that comes with rejoining the master race after a few years' hiatus away, my attention has necessarily turned to building a new PC. Originally I was going to splash for a gaming laptop (something like this), however I first thought I'd better check out what a similar PC build would set me back. So I started googling about gaming HTPC's and what I could get for how much.

i5 2500k, 570GTX's, Micro/Mini ATX boards and SSD's seemed to be all the rage, and then, lo and behold, I find this thread on atomic! And then more happily, I see that this kind of build can be achieved for around $1200! So thanks nesquick, your build is beautifully showcased here.

How loud is your system? I'm keen to go for a HTPC build (serve media to my HT via PS3, will be plugged into projector and TV separately), but it must, must be quiet. Are these Antec water coolers any good noise-wise? I take it they would fit in a micro ATX form factor more neatly (or at least, with less cutting and configuring) than in your mini ATX build here?

Edited by elfinke

The Antec Water coolers can be quiet, they connect to the motherboard CPU_FAN connection so its controlled, fan only spins up when it gets really hot.

Yeah they are quiet. I currently have a Antec 920 in a 650D which isnt the best case in the world for airflow and its perfectly fine.

Beautiful, thanks for the replies guys. Just got back from visiting my accountant who really took care of my tax return affairs, so things are looking promising for a new PC this year (interest in Diablo 3 pending...)

how much on edge is the power supply with that vcard?

I dunno probably not that much, its got 36A on its 12v rail.

how much on edge is the power supply with that vcard?

I dunno probably not that much, its got 36A on its 12v rail.

gtx580 typically use up to ~244w while gaming only up to 310w with fur http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264

and with such a low vcore oc on the cpu it will still be using well under 100w

id say its got plenty of room to spare for some more overclocking if that psu is anywhere near as tough as my old 510w psu with a 32-36a 12v rail :)

mate very impressive and making me very jelly. my matx tower is too big!

but i miss water cooling so bad and have piles of stuff sitting here :(

hmm pccg is out of stock, but scorptech has it, pondering a purchase right now....

edit: id be looking at using a prolimatech samuel 17.

Edited by tunksy