dreamreaver

Most memorable computer?

While I was looking for something I came across, the receipts for my first custom built computer way back in 1998. I have had computers before then but never got one custom built till this one and still one of my all time favourite builds.

Processor: AMD K6-2 300

Hard-drive: 6.4gb Hard-drive

CD-Rom: 36x CD-Rom

Floppydrive: 120mb SuperDiskDrive

Soundcard: AWE 64 Soundcard

Videocards: AGP 8mb graphics card, think it was an intel.

2 x 12mb Voodoo2 Creative Cards in SLI

The machine rocked and I got Unreal to show off how good the twin voodoo2s where.

Fond memories, shame I don't have it anymore.

How times have changed.

Anyone else remember there first custom built computer or most memorable computer?

Most memorable computer? I think that'd be one that I'm still using, some five years on. And it was a bit old when I got it!

Sun Fire V880

8 x UltraSPARC-III 750Mhz

20GB RAM

Disks: 6 x 146GB, 4 x 50GB, 2 x 72GB, 4 x 750GB.

Ethernet: 8 x qfe 100mbit ports, 4 x cassini gigabit, 2 x e1000g gigabit, 1 x cassini fibre, 1 x gem fibre

Tape: LTO2 & DDS4

Size: bigger than your barfridge.

most memorable would be my P4 640 with geforce 6800 vanilla, 2gb of ram, 160gb HDD man wasn't a game at the time I got it I couldn't rip through with that thing.

OP I've still got a Voodoo 2 SLI rig with Win98 on it, I sometimes fire it up for old games :)

Abit BX6 motherboard with a P2-400 - but I got a few spare CPUs down to a 266 Celeron up to a 1.2GHz Tualatin

AGP Matrox G200, 2x 12MB Voodoo 2's, Aureal Vortex 2 soundcard... was a beast back in 98 lol

Personally my most memorable PC was probably my first one back in 93 or so, a 486SX-25 with 4MB RAM, 200MB hard drive and a 512K Trident video card. Was later upgraded to 8MB RAM, 1GB hard drive, Sound Blaster 16 and CDROM drive.

I don't have anything particularly rare but there was a Kenbak-1 on ebay about a year ago that went for over $25000: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/sh...-model%29/page2

Not personally memorable, but definitely memorable in its own right.

The one I remember best, was the first one I came in contact with… an old Toshiba laptop from my father's workplace (Telecom Australia, as they were known then).

It was about 40cm×50cmx15cm folded up, and was considerably heavier than today's featherweights.

It had no battery, ran straight from 240V mains.

The display technology: amber plasma screen, which was driven by a CGA graphics (woo 640×200 pixels mono) interface.

It had 1 1.44MB floppy drive, and a HDD, probably no bigger than 50MB, running MS-DOS. We used X-Tree Gold to load games mostly.

CPU was a 80286 with an 80287 maths co-processor, and I doubt it had more than 1MB RAM.

Posted Image

This is my FIRST CPU.

The Love I found when pushing a P133 & P166MMX into the SEGA "V-Fighter" & "Sega Rally" games, and how My lovely 120mhz beast would compare just as fluent against them :)

O How I fell in love, dipswitch's, FSB X Multi calculations and all the errors that transpired into me yearning to learn these intrepid beasts known as PC's.

The very first thing I learnt and still am quite fond of this memory...

Sets BIOS PW...Reset & Forget... Now at 12 years old Im not the brightest kid,.. I never intended to put on a password, let alone write one down if I set one...

Took me 2 months and using another PC before I had my answer on re-inserting the cmos battery. In that time I had taken the components out and put them back in MANY a time in that two months.

Ever since I've been destroying (IE: Learning) & maintaining PC's.

16 years now...WoWserz...The generation changes, the power increases...the lulz

Edited by drawesome

The one I remember best, was the first one I came in contact with… an old Toshiba laptop from my father's workplace (Telecom Australia, as they were known then).

It was about 40cm×50cmx15cm folded up, and was considerably heavier than today's featherweights.

It had no battery, ran straight from 240V mains.

The display technology: amber plasma screen, which was driven by a CGA graphics (woo 640×200 pixels mono) interface.

It had 1 1.44MB floppy drive, and a HDD, probably no bigger than 50MB, running MS-DOS. We used X-Tree Gold to load games mostly.

CPU was a 80286 with an 80287 maths co-processor, and I doubt it had more than 1MB RAM.

I have the same machine as yours. It was running on MS-DOS, where I played Prince of Persia and chess.

Posted Image

This is my FIRST CPU.

The Love I found when pushing a P133 & P166MMX into the SEGA "V-Fighter" & "Sega Rally" games, and how My lovely 120mhz beast would compare just as fluent against them :)

I think you'll find that CPU was 120MHz, not 120mHz.

My Commodore 20Mhz 287 PC clone! Pity the poor thing died before I got home from uni.

(Soldered on CMOS battery leaked on the motheboard)

Edited by Jeruselem

Most memorable personel machine - 8 MHz XT, twin 5.25" floppies, no hard drives. First upgrade was a 8088 CPU.

Most memorable Business system was hand-building an Alpha 800 'frame for the first time back in the '90's, and frightening the shit out of the other Techos and the salesman by wandering around the assembly shop with an double armful of 4 memory modules costed at $480k... each.

The first PC I built, a Digital Venturis FX-2. Got it in bits, and found a whole bunch load of parts for it

Had a Pentium MMX 200, 256MB SDRAM, 10GB and 2GB HDD, SoundBlaster 16, Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB and Windows 98 SE

Learn't my first lessons on PC building on that thing. Wish I still had it

Oh, this was in 2006 BTW :P (I was very behind). Didn't get a new PC till late 2008

For me it would be a tossup between the Apple IIes we had in school and my first computer which was a Tandy Color Computer 3.

I tossed the CoCo years ago because I got tired of moving it around but now I wish I'd kept it.

I almost bought one like it on ebay a few years ago but I decided the shipping was too much.

I built a celeron 300a back in the day that overclocked to 450mhz! Warp speed....engage! (still got the chip and mobo somwhere)

And the current one, watercooled 6600@3ghz with a GTS570. I have no reason to upgrade anytime soon and had this one for almost 3 years. :)

Edited by Director

Hrmm... "your most memorable" ...

The machines I have the most fond memories of would be my uncle's Commodore 64 and Amiga 3000. Coding and playing Slither; playing Boulderdash and Elite; being blown away by him chatting with a mate. Then later on the Amiga graphics, sound and 3D modelling software just floored me; games such as Frontier and Sim City; and some awesome demoscene products.

The computer which I've actually owned, which I have the fondest memories of would have to be a little Toshiba Portege. I'm sure it was a 7010 chassis but it definitely had a ~600MHz P-III CPU in it. I gave that machine hell, and it never gave up. Eventually it got stepped on or thrown around one too many times (don't ask) and the screen died. :,--[.

And just for good measure, the single component I've had that I'm most fond of would have to be a toss-up between my Samsung 172x monitor and Sandisk Cruzer Micro 8GB USB stick. Still in use and still sexy, the plastic casing has warped juuuust a little but otherwise it remains a great-looking (if a little warm) TN panel. One day my USB stick went missing. Turned up in the middle of my parents' dusty gravel driveway a couple of months later, scuffed but unharmed. Used it yesterday to xfer documents at work.

First 'proper' computer, (non-Dick Smith tape computer!), was a 386 SX, (i.e., the cheap one), with 1MB of RAM, (16 MHz I'm pretty sure). It was pretty memorable as it basically meant I went from being someone who liked computers at primary school, to being completely engrossed by them. Parents bought it for Christmas in the late 80s even though we weren't exactly well off and lived in the country; I should probably thank them for that one of these days, as it's probably one of the reasons that I have the livelihood that I do.

Probably most memorable was the first computer I bought myself. I was working part time in a cafe and had scrapped together some cash in the mid-late 90s. It was a Pentium MMX (166 MHz I think) that I ordered custom out of a catalogue and was shipped from NSW. Ah, those were the days. I eeked out a fair bit of use on that and remember playing Quake II, (the first LAN FPS my clique really got in to), 320x200 in 180° and kicking arse even though it looked like crap.

My first comp would be the most memorable one. i spent a couple of months researching than decing on a:

pentium 4 2.8 ghz with HT

2GB 667 ram

GB 8IPE motherboard

ATI 128 MB 9600XT

and some random msy case and psu

had some issues at the start but it was great playing kotor and the like.

Would have to be my current one.

i5 2500k, 8gb ram, 2 gtx480s and a full watercooling loop.

Easily my most powerful, full featured system to date.

Probably the first system I have been truly happy with.

My first custom built one was an AMD XP2800+, 512mb ram and a 6600GT, that was fine for maybe a month before it started fucking up, all my "cheaper" systems have had problems, this is the first one that so far, has been rock solid and runs nice and cool.

Had a few unlucky builds, some decent ones. But this one would have to be my all time favourite

Intel E6320

GB G31M-S2L

Kingston 2x2GB DDR2

Gigabyte HD Radeon 4850 512mb

Antec 300

Antec Earthwatts 380w

All up, at the time, wouldn't have costed me more than $550 back in 2008 - the CPU and graphics card I got from ebay.

Can't specifically remember the hard drive or optical drive, but this system I stuck with for a long time. the nice little chip easily overclocked to 3.2Ghz. To be honest, looking back I wish I stayed with the system instead of wanting newer and faster gear. Would still be able to handle what I play now.

Hmm... It's close.

The rubber keyed 16K machine I had when in 1986, where I coded my first original BASIC programme?

The commodore 64 where I got into more complex BASIC a few years later?

Perhaps my first PC (XT), with dual 5.25" drives and Green monochrome screen in 1989?

Maybe my parents for 486-DX2/50 where I first learnt C++, in 1991?

What about my last Q6600. That computer was still going decently nearly 4 years after being commissioned in Oct 2007.

So many good computers and so many milestones and memories.

But I think I'll pick the PC/XT, as it first introduced me to the DOS and the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS, as well as pulling apart PC's and troubleshooting.

e: Seems I share a common pc with merlin13 :)

oh the turbo button and having to turn it off and drop the the megahertz back for some games :)

Edited by kikz

My P4 2.4@3.2 rig with 1Gb Corsair XMS memory (in dual channel), Asus P4C800-E motherboard, 2 x 60Gb HDD in RAID 0, Pioneer 105D DVDRW, GeForce 4200Ti video card and an Aopen H500A case.

This baby played all the games I threw at it at that time and never missed a beat. Was also the first PC I dabbled in overclocking as well as running 24/7 (doing seti@home classic - go hyperthreading!)

Currently its residing as my file server.