Sign in to follow this  
stuub27

Xbox 360 third-party cooling solutions

Hi,

It seems there is a perceived market (going by the fact that people are making them for sale) for after-market, third-party cooling systems for the Xbox 360...

Has anyone bought/tried any of them? Are they any good? Do they simply add to the noise (from what I hear quite substantial) output of the system without any real benefit?

(Apologies for the rush of Xbox 360 related questions...and I'm probably not done yet :P It's just that I will be buying one when the government's pension bonus payment comes through, and I want to choose wisely...It's still touch and go as to whether I get an Xbox or a PS3...any opinion greatly appreciated)

If you're getting a new model Xbox I'd say after-market fans are moot.

They added another built-in fan (certian) and fiddled with clearances internally (not sure) to deal with the overheating problem of earlier models and in the year I've had mine, never had to use additional cooling.

If you're getting a new model Xbox I'd say after-market fans are moot.

They added another built-in fan (certian) and fiddled with clearances internally (not sure) to deal with the overheating problem of earlier models and in the year I've had mine, never had to use additional cooling.

Awesome; thanks. Couldn't have asked for a better answer! :D

I have an original xbox as well, and never had a problem. As long as it's kept well ventilated, you should be fine. The noise on the other hand....

Yeah, the main reason people replace fans in the 360 these days is an attempt to cut down on noise. Not so much for extra cooling.

Are the fans in a 360 controlled by temps? If one was to grab one of these fan kits, could it possibly have fans in it which are quiet and could force air through the 360 enough to reduce internal temps to make the stock fans run slower?

I know overheating is no longer an issue, but I am curious if extra airflow could silence them a bit