Right or wrong?

What do you think?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Was the Police Officer...

• Being a dick, morally retarded
    • Serving swift justice & protecting the people
    • A Filthy Cunt

Excuse me for my possibly backwards poll, never done these before :/

The milkman who delivers for our restaurant with his refrigerated semi was booked by an unmarked cop car for something along the lines of "Obstructing Justice" or whatever they call it here. Fined $180 and 3 Demerit points.

He was supposedly between this unmarked cop and someone speeding.

I dunno about the mainland, but here in Tas the unmarked cop car disco lights are central in the dash or front grille, the poor milkman thought he was just a car driving pretty close behind him and clearly was unable to see the disco lights situated were they are on an unmarked car. (Can't see my mirrors, I can't see you kind of gig)

The milkman was close to his stop and upon arriving, the unmarked car pulled up and he was booked. Apparently he was meant to see the lights which he cannot, especially when tailgated, he was supposed to pull over or make room for this officer to fly past and catch a speeder or something.

Not having a bar of the milkman's comment of not being able to see his disco lights, he just booked him, I figure he had to get someone? Might have been pissy he missed out on the speeder?

Now the milkman is very quiet and reserved, and the nicest (though slightly boring) truck driver I've ever met, and no way would he have blocked the police on purpose. He took the fine without argument and decided it was pretty harsh.

I think a warning for that would have been suffice, you know something like "Check mirrors more often, maybe you'll be able to see through the back of your truck eventually".

Is that serving justice? Protecting citizens? At least half of the police down here I meet or hear about and power-tripping and think it's their job to nail everyone for anything, instead of catching actual criminals.

I think that fine and point loss is bullshit, absolutely uncalled for, the cop has no idea of visibility in trucks.

He was driving an unmarked car, specifically for the purpose of not being identified except for when the disco lights flash, can't see them, wont know.

Also I'm not even sure that expecting a truck to just 'let you through' was even feasibly where he was, if he saw the cop, wouldn't think it fine-worthy.

I ask this for an unbiased answer, I've had run-ins with the police only to be right and had to waste alot of my own time and money to prove it, so I dislike a couple of them here already, though there are some very decent officers here too.

Cop being a dick? Or was he right and we should be thankful he caught the truck driver?

Also, do you think the milkman would be able to fight it?

Edited by Morgoth

If the guy feels hard done by, he should fight it. There's probably a reasonable chance of him getting off, but even if not it still sounds like something worth taking a principled stand on.

Edited by The Fuzz damn you!

I voted "being a dick", assuming the milk drivers account of what happened is accurate and there was no siren.

If his account of what happened is accurate, he shouldn't have any trouble successfully challenging it.

Siren? Don't unmarked cop cars usually have a siren off the front grille?

Also, what kind of truck is he driving? I'm immediately reminded of those "If you can't see my mirrors, I cant see you" stickers on the back of some trucks.

Yes this is assuming his account of the incident was correct.

He's got a decent sized semi.

Also I don't often hear police use sirens, just lights, he didn't mention hearing/not hearing a siren

I forgot to add the the op, I experience police tailgating extremely often, I figure it's to bait someone into speeding and they can then pull them over. Though I mostly only have that happen at night.

In this instance he would have been close as he was waiting/eager to get past quickly.

Edited by Morgoth

Another reason why people should get in the habit of hitting the 'record' button on their phones if pulled over by the cops. Also if the cop was in plain clothes the driver should have asked for photo ID and a badge number before handing over his license. But yeah, take it to court.

no way a semi would see someone right behind them without something like a reversing camera, even something like a medium rigid would be pushing the limits of rear vision.

Contest the fine and take it 'em to court. As has been said, that cop was way out of line - and any judge not on the take is going to say as much too.

I voted "being a dick", assuming the milk drivers account of what happened is accurate and there was no siren.

If his account of what happened is accurate, he shouldn't have any trouble successfully challenging it.

Milk drivers are't cunts of drivers or they get shit canned in an instant, those pallets of milk even shrink wrapped to the pallet securely slip around like they are on ice.

Cops being a dick, was upset probably then again I've seen cops almost collide with oncoming traffic coming the wrong way down a street to book some guy for going 5km over the limit in a 60 zone, among many other horror stories, I've never seen a trucker obstruct justice.

What a dick. but while there are some police officers who are good there are still some who go mad with power. and it's these guys who make it bad for the rest.

...something worth taking a principled stand on.

It seems to me that very few people actually do that any more. I tend to, and I generally have a decent rant about it while I'm doing it, and almost invariably the response I get from people is "it's not worth the hassle" or "why bother? It won't fix anything" or "you won't get anywhere" or "you're a very angry young man" or something.

Of course I'm an angry young man! The whole world is filled to overflowing with dickheads and arseholes, and none of them ever get their comeuppance from people who are calm and collected and polite and don't think it's worth the bother!

The reason people do stuff like this is because they get away with it because people don't bother to call them on it.

So encourage your milk delivery guy to challenge it!

Nice fair and balanced poll.

He should just appeal it in court. It's not worth it to save the money, but the points are. 3 is a nice hit.

Edited by AIMBOT