Sign in to follow this  
saluy

OC'ing 2500k

hello one and all,

I recently built a new system, ive installed all i want and all i need, but i still have one important feature i need to utilize.

Overclocking.

my parts are

RAM: 8GB cosair vengeance 1600mhz

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 3,3GHz

MOBO: GA-Z68x-UD3R-B3

I'm not sure what do so help is appreciated,

Saluy

Here is a step by step guide to over clocking your chip. But first did you buy a good CPU cooler ? or are you just using the stock cooler, as you will need a decent cooler for over clocking.

just have a stock cooler, but my case has a few fans and has a lot of ventilation, so im thinking that it should be ok...

I know that modern stock coolers aren't to bad these days but you should seriously consider getting even a hyper 212+ (around $30 - $35) for a good overclock. The stock hsf would probably be fine for some small oc'ing but if you care about noise and your parts invest in a decent cooler.

The hyper 212+ I mentioned above is a great value for money cooler if you dont want to spend very much: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=12544 It will be beaten by larger more expensive coolers but as far as value for money goes it just cant be beaten - I'm going to get one shortly for my girlfriends rig. Just make sure your system has the clearance to fit one of these tower coolers in.

the stock hsf with decent thermal paste should be good for a stock v oc which on the 2500k to ~4ghz just set the fan speed to be more aggressive running full speed when it hits ~60c check temps while running a load test like prime and make sure the mb isnt overvolting with cpu-z

with somthing like the cm212+ ~4.5ghz should be easy enough with ~1.35v or less if your not unlucky

I just want to get a feel a feel for OC'ing and if i feel like going to 4.5GHz i will buy another fan, i just dont want to spend more money on the rig :/

ok, so if increase the core multiplier to 40 and the Vcore to 1.3. i should be alright?

Edited by saluy

ok, so if increase the core multiplier to 40 and the Vcore to 1.3. i should be alright?

No.

Didn't you read any of the replies?

You want to run stock or below stock voltage if you're running with the stock cooler.

I know one of the guys on here got one to 4.2 on a stock cooler but it was hitting like 80c or something iirc.

Cyber, shouldn't this be in OC'ing and Cooling?

No.

Didn't you read any of the replies?

You want to run stock or below stock voltage if you're running with the stock cooler.

I know one of the guys on here got one to 4.2 on a stock cooler but it was hitting like 80c or something iirc.

Cyber, shouldn't this be in OC'ing and Cooling?

bahhahahaha i got to 3.7 on stable. and im aiming 4. still need to test 3.9