pretty

The Need to Kill

They commit some of the most disturbing and horrifying crimes and yet it is hard not to be at least a little fascinated by them. Perhaps it’s the knowledge that we all have the potential to become a serial killer, or at the very least to commit murder.

I've recently been doing some research into serial killers and psychopaths, and as much as their crimes disgust me... I can't tear myself away from them. I know I have my ‘favourites’ but which serial killers interest you the most?

Do you feel a certain sympathy for Ed Gein who was obviously mind fucked by his mother? Did Ted Bundy and his superficial charm and good looks rope you in? Does anyone place their fear of clowns squarely on the shoulders of John Wayne Gacy? Or is it Aileen Wuornos, one of the most famous female serial killers, that captures you? Do you believe that Henry Lee Lucas committed all the crimes he admits to after he had pored over all the case files first? Does Jeffery Dahmer and his desire for human flesh make you research him more, trying to find a reason why? Or are you interested in Australian serial killers such as creepy looking Peter Dupas or the Frankston killer Paul Denyer?

Share with us who holds your interest and fascination :)

There was only one serial killer that really gave me the creeps, I cant remember what his name was but the story was he was about 7ft tall and was quoted saying something like this

"when i see a pretty girl ,part of me wants to ask her out ,and another part wonders what her head would look like on a stick"

Apparently he had a huge IQ as well.

Ill research who it was , then come back and edit this post

There was only one serial killer that really gave me the creeps, I cant remember what his name was but the story was he was about 7ft tall and was quoted saying something like this

"when i see a pretty girl ,part of me wants to ask her out ,and another part wonders what her head would look like on a stick"

Bret Easton Ellis?

Ed Gein was the first to capture my interest. Not because he killed people, but because he made furniture and trinkets out of his victims afterwards. I really had to sit down and question just why that bothered the hell out of me. We do it to other animals, right? So why is it when we do it to our own kind we find it so disgusting? What fascinates me is some people manage to do it without any problems at all.

As for another serial killer, that rather polite and articulate Charles Manson is another of interest.

They are fascinating - a train wreck syndrome.

I could not say there is any one that is my "favorite" they all horrify me, but, perhaps because of the remove and the unsolved nature Jack the Ripper keeps me on the alert for any new insights.

The Green River Killer, whose name escapes me, Ann Rice I think it was who wrote the book, was me like a deer caught in the headlights, horrifying, could not stop reading....

Cheers

I've never actually found much fascination with serial killers.

Me neither. I'm more fascinated by some of the more gruesome/bizarre unsolved murders (in particluar Beth Short, aka The Black Dahlia). How someone could commit such a murder, then slip back into society (or carry on with a different modus operandi) and then never be caught...

Sounds like Ed Kemper from the description, but the actual quote could be from American Psycho.

You might be getting it mixed up with the fact that Kemper killed (one of many victims) a pretty nurse and drove across 2 states of the US wearing her head like a hat. All this before finally getting up the nerve to take it out on the person who arguably created him, his mother, whom he took out with a hammer.

Needless to say, I too have a fascination with serial killers, always have since I knew what they were. Not that I glorify their crimes in any way, but their psychology fascinates me.

Needless to say, I too have a fascination with serial killers, always have since I knew what they were. Not that I glorify their crimes in any way, but their psychology fascinates me.

Yeah, its definitely the psychology that gets me. Especially when you hear about those that blended so well with ordinary people but the reality is far from that. The need to know 'why?' and understand what the hell makes someone have a need to kill.

Yeah, its definitely the psychology that gets me. Especially when you hear about those that blended so well with ordinary people but the reality is far from that. The need to know 'why?' and understand what the hell makes someone have a need to kill.

But 'why' can be the most disturbing aspect of it.

I strongly believe that we all have the ability to kill. It's a hard wired survival tool. A lot of very normal people willingly kill, you just have to put them in the right situation.

But what makes serial killers and psychopaths different is that they have no problem with it. In some cases, they rather enjoy it.

What scares me, what really disturbs me, and I'm being completely honest here, is a part of me gets it and understands the mind set.

You should prolly get into Slayer, pretty...

after he had poured over all the case files

BTW, that's pored, there

Oh my God !

Finally someone who I can share my sick interests with :D

The first I heard of John Wayne Gacy and Ed Gein was way back in Year 9. Actually my mates and I found it to be hugely entertaining because we would just start calling the teachers Gacy after awhile. One of my friends was so obsessed with Gacy, he went onto the school printers and printed out a picture of Gacy in his clown outfit and carried it with him, showed it to people then would say "Gacy needs to get some sleep now" and put it back in his pocket.

The funny thing is that for an English drama assessment my mate and I actually did a scene from the movie 'Gacy'. It was so funnY, because everyone in the classroom, was just like ... "WTF!".

Bundy .... Oh Bundy, he is probably hailed as one of the most intelligent psychopaths to ever live, Gacy was not far off considering he to was pretty much accepted amongst his community (pre-killings) as the go to guy, although he did have his own sexual perversions during that time.

Ed Gein, he is extremely fascinating to me, probably one of the reasons why I have grown up to be really open and intrigued about the human anatomy, me knowing him had sort of allowed me to excel in human biology, because rather than looking at human body parts and cadavers as being disgusting I was rather fascinated and made me look more into it (I was labelled in my human biology class as having the perfect cut which was pretty cool).

I mean using human body parts as suits, cups and upholstery .... how much more inventive can you be.

What really makes me interested in serial killers such as them, is how they thought and what type of minds they had. Bringing themselves to the conclusions as they did is just so interesting to read about and study. I might be giving a little more praise than I should about people who take the lives of others but the way they actually killed there victims, stepped into the territory of corpses and dismemberment just makes such unique serial killers compared to other serial killers who just walk around with a gun and shoot loads of people. Bundy is a huge one, crossed soooo many states and admitted to his mother on the night of his execution that he did murder those women he was suspected of, more to the point also stated to a detective that "Add a digit to the amount of women he killed", is how much more he killed than first suspected.