seehund

Thought Experiment #2

wow, most of your plans are terrible..

good luck trying to survive

Care to share your take on it?

wow, most of your plans are terrible..

good luck trying to survive

Care to share your take on it?

My family is well prepared, we have a few 550KVA generators (1 gas turbine and 2 diesel) a larger water truck with a pump and several thousand litres of diesel.

We have several guns, a small herd of cattle, farmland etc.

I'm sure we will be fine...

If a disaster did hit Auckland, I would head south to the waikato region and live on a farm we own.

To be honest, the major, life threatening impacts of an event like this would be fairly remote for us.

The biggest hurdle for me would be getting home if this ‘event’ occurred while I was at work. It would be a 60km walk home, but I’ve done worse than that even though I am out of shape now. The majority of the difficulty in completing long treks is in the mind anyway.

I spent 12 years in the military so am pretty resourceful and am used to making much out of little.

We have access to water from tank and bore (with backup pumping options).

We have access to plentiful wood for both construction and fuel.

We have access to about one hundred head of angus beef cattle and several hundred head of sheep.

We have plenty of spare land for crops provided of course we could get hold of enough seed to make it all work… but out our way there would be a lot of trading going on between properties.

In short, at about month three I would be sitting out under the stars by the roaring fire enjoying a nice, medium-rare steak wondering what all those poor buggers in the cities were doing :-)

…when my mind wanders or when I'm riding home.

You should be watching where you’re going you lycra-clad maniac!

So finding a secure site with access to open water is key. Thankfully I already have a site in mind :D

Oh great, so it takes a colossal disaster for you to finally come and visit!

We're both at a reasonable level of fitness and could ideally make our way on foot to the place I have in mind within a day.

Ok, so maybe not coming out to see us after all… what will it take man :-p

I'm thinking we could probably manage 3 months there in the short term but anything after that we'd probably need to branch out and find a better location…

I see now… we are your contingency plan in case your contingency plan doesn’t work.

Dammit! You've sussed me out already :p

Don't worry...we'll be up to check out "Site B" by mid-late Septober (that's when the car turns up) :D

I might have to Xap, with that many cats around. :P :P :P /runs

Just kidding. ;) Cats are surprisingly clever animals if you understand what they're saying and doing. My mate has quite a few and the more I get to know them the more I get to see their personalities. But I'm a dog person through and through. Hounds all the way mate. :)

It's good to hear about a 'dog person' giving cats a chance instead of the usual bullshit that dribbles from the mouths of the ignorant.

I adore dogs too, as long as i don't have to own one, and if i did get a dog again, it wouldn't be a puppy.

I like your idea Xap....but you'll probably want Medal Of Honour Cat...he's on teh intertubes :D

Brave kitteh.

Aww honour cat RIP brave soldier, but i already own the bravest breed of kitty, Burmese! They don't run away from anything they just puff up and stand their ground. Puffy kitties will save the day!

=^_^=

Adapt and overcome.

simple

Well, I guess there wasn't much point with the OP considering it's that simple after all.

Adapt and overcome.

simple

Spoken like someone who's never had to adapt and overcome ;-)

Adapt and overcome.

simple

Well, I guess there wasn't much point with the OP considering it's that simple after all.

i didn't know we could give these responses

ok

evolve and fly

Weeeeeeell I guess this is going nowhere fast...

Tantryl just got his dick out, and he probably went pretty fast.

Da-dum tssh! : D

Don't know them well, but I know where you're talking about. You can go to an island if you really want to, but that's a long way to travel by canoe mate. You're going to get sore shoulders. Got enough food to recover from all that?

Guest MrInsaneBuff

Id most likely end up becoming someone's bitch.

Without access to transport my lard arse wont make it far. So no chance to get to a Home hardware and build my own weapons.

Edited by MrInsaneBuff

Well if the disaster is going to happen way down south, then I think I'll stay where I am ( way north ).