gloric

TVs as Monitors

I've had my media centre running through a 52" LCD for many years now. It plays BD movies perfectly, and behaves just how I'd expect it to.

I've never played any games on it though. Recommend me a good one to test it out and I shall do.

I have been considering this TV as a Monitor for my PC:

Samsung 32" TV as Monitor

Now everything looks good....is is large (maybe too large)

It has what they call 240hz refresh rate based on there measuring...more on that down bleow.

It is 3d...but looking at the specs it is not on the site? weird because the guy at retravision said it was 3d ready. hrrmm

That leaves me with one thing....what is its response time?

But there is no available data on that....it is strange because all the Monitors on Samsungs site have response time listed but not on the TV's.

So i emailed Samsung to ask what it was.....this brings me back to there "Refresh rate" and how it is measured.

I simply asked what the response time was on the above linked TV.

There response:

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

We understand tha you wish to know the response time of the TV model UN32D6000.

We are sorry to inform you that there is no response time available for the TV.

The TV has 240 clear motion rate. Clear Motion Rate takes into account all three factors that contribute to

motion clarity: panel refresh rate, image processor speed and backlight technology.

Panel refresh rate: Samsung's screen refresh rate significantly improves motion detail and resolution by

sampling the image more frequently, leading to smoother, more fluid movement.

Image processor: Samsung's proprietary image processing technology is faster and more responsive than

conventional image processors, as it interpolates intermediate frames to smooth out the image.

Backlight technology: Samsung's backlight regulates output precisely in synchronization with the screen

refresh to lessen the time it is lit, reducing ghosting and motion blur.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Samsung Online Support.

So there special "Clear motion rate" take into consideration all of these things, me assuming the consideration also includes Response time.

How can a company just come up with a arbitrarily new terminology for measuring a TV's abiltys that doesn't make it any clearer if it is better than the TV next to it...only alot more confusing.

All these samsung TV's have labels of 240hz..... which is bullshit. against other TV's claiming 100hz.

Absolutely crazy.

Anyway it was a nice TV when i saw it running. Not sure how it would work as a monitor or what kind of GPU i need to run such a large monitor.

\

Edited by te0p

You don't need any extra GPU power - the resolution is still only 1920x1080 pixels, just spread over a larger area, on a much higher quality panel.

It's kind of a letdown to know that if I spend $2k on a TV, it's going to have LESS pixels than my $400 16:10 monitor from 3 years ago.

You don't need any extra GPU power - the resolution is still only 1920x1080 pixels, just spread over a larger area, on a much higher quality panel.

It's kind of a letdown to know that if I spend $2k on a TV, it's going to have LESS pixels than my $400 16:10 monitor from 3 years ago.

On the higher quality panel bit , could you please explain a bit more as this confuses me from what i generally thought from my experience/research. Thanks mate.

On the letdown point.

Just like its a letdown that an old crt can produce higher contrast ratio's then plasma led or lcd when measured using the same equipment, and the crt can produce a higher res then all of the others (including the 30" lcds).. I remember this old 24" crt we had, i got 4---x2--- on it once.. sadly the color was burnt out (second hand as it was from a workstation).

One last thing, tv panels are manufactured with distance being a key part in making them look good, a monitor is generally viewed from a smaller distance and requires a sharper image with no dead pixels. Most tv manufacturers have a min number of dead pixels before you can claim warranty (at least the panny sony and samsung tv's i had did).

As for the samsung message its like my plasma.. all it said was along the lines of "MASSIVE HIGH IN YOU FACE HUUUGE CONTRAST" with no real numbers backing it up, but on the point of contrast.. due to there not being any rules for how you measure it a company can put out any set of numbers they want. Like the guy who measured the 10million to 1 contrast bravia or whatever and it got 400 to 1 on his equipment.

Get a solid number, its impossible for samsung to not know the actual refresh rate of the tv..

My guess would be its 60hz with alot of post processing. higher hz ratings dont do anything anyway.. i dont see how flashing a blurred image 10 times makes it look clearer then flashing it once.. most these high speed tv's have a smart sharpening mode that auto activates when set to 100 or 120hz mode.. Anyway if you pc does 60 frames in games why do you need a 120 hz tv, your just watching 60 frames getting flashed 120 times.. no difference! And film is captured at even slower rates, usually around 30 with movies at 24 frames a second. Edit - My family have a 32" with anti aliasing post processing (its not high def btw) and i had trouble telling it apart from my 1080 panny lcd when i had that running films.. in games the panny killed it for picture quality.

I wish i still had all the links and other things saved to kinda back up and clear up my poorly explained mess..

Edited by fn

I have a Samsung P2770HD. Pretty cheap for its size, (27"), 1920x1080, has a digital/analogue tuner built in. It's not going to set the world on fire, but I don't think I'd want something too much bigger on my desk, and the quality is acceptable for gaming.

This is going to sound dumb, but I always hear about people going on about 30" Dell monitors, but I never see them anywhere; are they only available through Dell?

Agreed tbh, I have a 21.5" 16:9 Dell which I'm happy with, but interested in a 30"

Although i didnt read through the thread fully i thought i might quickly just say a word about plasma from my experience.. Dont waste your money or your time.

As for the comment above, the mouse might have input lag.. and alot of plasma tv's suffer really badly from it.. eg, lg's 50" plasma. 2nd edit.. this is fully my opinion but after my 50" samsung plasma i will stay away from any tv/monitor made by them forever. Go Sony for lcd (tv's) or Panasonic for plasma, but dont go plasma, thats only if you dont understand your mistake or accept all the bs associated with them. Sorry this post seems negative, but get a 30" monitor or the ultra price friendly 24" :). Lg plasma's are good but before you buy research and make sure your not getting one with lg's wonderfully epic input lag :P

I have used a 42" Panasonic Plasma for around 3 years now for my HTPC including gaming. The picture quality is awesome, the colours are bright, the blacks are black the sharpness is excellent. My HTPC runs a quad core CPU and an HD 6870. What exactly is wrong with plasma in your opinion?

Although i didnt read through the thread fully i thought i might quickly just say a word about plasma from my experience.. Dont waste your money or your time.

As for the comment above, the mouse might have input lag.. and alot of plasma tv's suffer really badly from it.. eg, lg's 50" plasma. 2nd edit.. this is fully my opinion but after my 50" samsung plasma i will stay away from any tv/monitor made by them forever. Go Sony for lcd (tv's) or Panasonic for plasma, but dont go plasma, thats only if you dont understand your mistake or accept all the bs associated with them. Sorry this post seems negative, but get a 30" monitor or the ultra price friendly 24" :). Lg plasma's are good but before you buy research and make sure your not getting one with lg's wonderfully epic input lag :P

I have used a 42" Panasonic Plasma for around 3 years now for my HTPC including gaming. The picture quality is awesome, the colours are bright, the blacks are black the sharpness is excellent. My HTPC runs a quad core CPU and an HD 6870. What exactly is wrong with plasma in your opinion?

He said some are good, but some have input lag. Its all in the post you quoted.

Yet there are no plasma PC monitors?

Hmm ... I've never seen a plasma under 42inch? Maybe it's something to do with the manufacturing process?

I used my LG 42" (TV) extensively until I bought this new Samsung 24" LCD for my monitor (monitor, not TV). It was kind of neat that it had three set resolutions, 1024*768, xxx and 1366*768. (I can't remember the middle one). At 1366 (or 1365 depending on monitor driver) gaming was great (even has a contrast setting of game or movie), recorded TV was awesome, and even reading text was OK. Being that huge, my eyes got sore reading text, but it was/is clear to read. It comes up with the refresh rate as being 60Hz, odd seing as we're on 50Hz AC, but everything was great. Just too BIG, hence why I downsized. That, and as someone mentioned above, getting a decent distance with wireless keyboards and mice was difficult.

Watch out for overscan! My samsung 32" series 6 non led TV has overscan on by default. I have not looked extensively but I could not find a setting to turn it of.

Much distaste for thy overscan.

I don't have a keyboard plugged into the PC attached to the TV, so clicking on items on the taskbar is just guess work sometimes. I should be able to just increase the size of the taskbar, but I'd prefer if I could find a way to just fix it. The available options on the TV don't help. Not found a software solution yet.

I had a similar problem with a mate who bought a Sanyo TV instead of a monitor, and wasted another $150. I did ask him why, and he was awful sheepish, so I am guessing the salesperson was female ... but I digress. To fix the chopped/squished problem he had, we had to find an obscure setting in the TV's menu of "1:1 pixel mapping". It's not mentioned in the manual, and why this wasn't in the resolution settings is a mystery, it was in something stupidly obscure, but if you can find it or something similar, it may fix the overscan/crop problem.

My cheap $30 Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard work from outside the house. From the other other side of the house. And most people sit way too far back from TVs anyway, optimal viewing distance is 1.5x height of screen away. For movies anyway, would probably suck for reading text back and forth.

My cheap $30 Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard work from outside the house. From the other other side of the house. And most people sit way too far back from TVs anyway, optimal viewing distance is 1.5x height of screen away. For movies anyway, would probably suck for reading text back and forth.

So at a distance of 3 metres away I should be using a 130" screen? Where did you get that info?

So at a distance of 3 metres away I should be using a 130" screen? Where did you get that info?

yer that would be nasty you could count the pixels

It's recommended you be as close as you can stand, pretty much. Optimal viewing angles are about 30 and 40 degrees depending on which you prefer I guess. And that's pretty damn close. On a smallish LCD or Plasma it wouldn't be as nice, but with a big projector, it would be much better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewing...calculator.html

been thinking of building a PC purely for Gaming/MultiMedia putting it through my 94cm panasonic LCD tv.

from what I've read in this forum it's not a problem.

just wondering about the input D-sub 15pin or HDMI?

also does any know when 2160 res tv's are comming?

i reckon your best bet is to test for your self. i could probably safely say that there would be slight image quality decline depending on how good your TV is, but i use to play wow on a 10 year old plasma and that was ok.

You have to consider the fact that rather than sitting 30 cm away from your PC screen i assume you will be a few metres away from your big screen tv so artefacts and rough textures will be less apparent at that distance. feel free to report on how you go im keen to see how it feels.

I've been using a Hd5870 to spit out HDMI to my 52" Samsung series 8, never had any problems, graphics look as clear as if they were put onto a monitor. Naturally the only problem being though is that a 1080p screen of that size tends to lose resolution because of the pixel size, so yea... But it's still 1080p quality from the box.

Many TVs have post processing for image quality. This can introduce a lag in the picture making it onto the screen. This is why Guitar Hero games have a calibration function.

On my TV you can turn this off by enabling "Game" mode. My reactions in games miraculously improved on this TV!

Naturally the only problem being though is that a 1080p screen of that size tends to lose resolution because of the pixel size

?

Naturally the only problem being though is that a 1080p screen of that size tends to lose resolution because of the pixel size

?

They don't strictly lose resolution. They do however lose dots per inch.

In the simplest terms...... the dots get bigger and more obvious.

?

They don't strictly lose resolution. They do however lose dots per inch.

In the simplest terms...... the dots get bigger and more obvious.

It is not a disadvantage.