gloric

TVs as Monitors

So soon enough i'm investing in a new PC, along with that said new PC i'm going for a good sound system and 40-46" TV to double up as a media centre.

What i'm here to enquire about (was directed by a friend) is whether or not there are huge quality hooking a 46" (i'm talking one of those series 6-8 Samsung models) as a display, for gaming, movie playback, etc.., through a computer.

Mainly looking for experience and detailed knowledge on the subject as i've learned as much as I possibly can from the many, many, MANY people who speculate on quality loss/etc.. but have never seen it or do not know anything about it.

I would go for a 40" Monitor that was capable of 1920/1200 if I could, but thems the brakes I guess.

Thanks.

PS. i'm looking at one of those 200hz Samsung series 6-7 TVs with that whole clear motion tech deal, not sure if that matter.

Nobody seems to make anything more impressive than the Dell 30", in terms of actual monitors. And that's been around for 5+ years. It's in fact much better than a HDTV in that it's resolution is 2560x1600 as opposed to 1920x1080 'Full HD'.

But, you can use any HDTV as a monitor by simply using one of its HDMI ports. I have never actually tried this with a big 50" LCD or whatever. I have used a smaller 30", and it seems to make text look all ghosty and blurry, but that may have been because I was way closer than I should have been.

I have to ask too, if there is anyone who has tried this with a 40-55" TV, is the image quality "lower" or simply the same as a monitor? I've read that a PC peripheral only transmits at a certain Hz rate and thus limits what level of image can be transmitted from the PC to the TV, but does it actually become worse than a standard 24-27" monitor or the same, on a higher scale?

I have to ask too, if there is anyone who has tried this with a 40-55" TV, is the image quality "lower" or simply the same as a monitor? I've read that a PC peripheral only transmits at a certain Hz rate and thus limits what level of image can be transmitted from the PC to the TV, but does it actually become worse than a standard 24-27" monitor or the same, on a higher scale?

I've fed my livingroom 46" LED TV from the HDMI port on my laptop several times. The visual quality even for gaming is comparable to the lappy's own screen.

The only problem I've encountered is some white 'snow' outlining some things. If you're familiar with Mach Banding, that is roughly what this looks to be - some extremley dark colour (possibly true black) is being remapped to white. It's entirely possible this is a fault with the lappy's inbuilt graphics, it's HDMI port, or even a too-long cable.

i had my 46" series 9 samsung lcd led tv hooked up to my old media machine on just a vga cable

looked fine from the armchair and fine from up close

dont know if you would want want to be reading a lot of text off something like that though

prob depends on where you sit as well i guess

the biggest gripe i had was the lack of quality wireless mice/keyboards that work well from a distance rather than what the picture on the tv does(that might have changed but i havent checked for a while)

A little bird told me that plasma is better than LCD in in terms of lag.

So am I to understand from those couple of posts that TVs don't get the response time that monitors do?

As in I will feel, if i'm one of those people who has a keen sense of these things, a difference in movement of my mouse/keyboard strokes and reactions on the screen?

I do a lot of fast paced gaming and as much as I understand that monitors are built for such things, I am asking about TVs because I genuinely have no idea. I know no-one who has a TV for a monitor currently, only one friend who is more artsy than fast paced gamer and his opinion of his 6 year old 46" is that it "looked good".

So am I to understand from those couple of posts that TVs don't get the response time that monitors do?

From whence garner you that, o gloric? I specifically said "comparable to the laptop monitor even for gaming".

As in I will feel, if i'm one of those people who has a keen sense of these things, a difference in movement of my mouse/keyboard strokes and reactions on the screen?

I do a lot of fast paced gaming and as much as I understand that monitors are built for such things, I am asking about TVs because I genuinely have no idea. I know no-one who has a TV for a monitor currently, only one friend who is more artsy than fast paced gamer and his opinion of his 6 year old 46" is that it "looked good".

Well TVs are used for gaming with PS3s and 360s... there's very little difference between a console and a PC. Both connected via HDMI. PC just has more grunt, so there'd probably be LESS lag.

Roger that.

I was just refering to the post about post about plasma and less lag, I took that as there being some noticable lag on a LED TV. Was just curious =)

Yet there are no plasma PC monitors?

Three reasons...

1) Dot pitch is(or historically has been) too high. Full HD 40" screens have only just become a reality recently.

2) Due to the above, useful resolution hasn't been possible for screens smaller than 40" until recently.

3) Price of developing higher res, lower size, smaller dot pitch monitors is too high.

Yet there are no plasma PC monitors?

Wrong

Posted Image

First computer I ever used, was a laptop with a plasma screen.

Plasma screens are evil though, they chew ridiculous amounts of power, and they emit RF like crazy.

Edited by Redhatter

I hook a pc up to my TV in my loungeroom.

42" Panasonic Plasma.

Works fine. Just set the output to the native resolution.

I did have it hooked up via a DVI-HDMI cable and run sound through a 5.1 home theatre system.

This was when I has Windows XP.

When I switched to Windows 7 the TV wasn't recognised under windows and would stretch/shift the image around the screen upon boot.

I switched to the DSub connection and it's working fine.

I sit about 3m away from the TV and can read the Herald-Sun in Firefox without my glasses (Short-sighted).

I play all sorts of games, Battlefield BC2, Dirt, Grand Prix Legends all fine with fast moving objects.

I have it set to 1024x768 resolution. So it's not quite native res (720p), but it's close enough.

As long as you're sitting back a bit it will be fine.

[

Plasma screens are evil though...they emit RF like crazy.

Tell me about it!

I couldn't get my wireless keyboard/mouse to work from anywhere infront of the TV, but if I went in the other room it worked fine.

Got it to work by shifting the receiver about 2m to the right.

I assume the interference isn't so bad if the signal is being sent sideways rather than towards the source of the radiation?

A wireless keyboard and mouse not working is one thing… as you pointed out, you were able to relocate it. Likely, they use high frequencies in the UHF spectrum, with limited gain antennas.

In my case, the antenna that picks up the crap from these things, is about 32m long, and runs from a tree in our front yard, and ties off to a branch in our back yard.

I'm able to hear stations using 300mW transmitting as far away as Parkes, NSW. (I'm in Brisbane.) Provided the neighbours keep their plasma TVs turned off.

If they turn one on, game over… I struggle to hear the station on the other side of town.

mine had really bad input lag when playing the wii though analog inputs however i didnt find that to be the case when using the pc although all are different so you would just have to check them all before you purchase one

i suggest taking a laptop or something you can plug in at the shop

if they wont let you try dont buy from that shop

Watch out for overscan! My samsung 32" series 6 non led TV has overscan on by default. I have not looked extensively but I could not find a setting to turn it of.

If you don't know what overscan is.... it stretches the image out side of the bounds of the screen so any funky crap happening on the edges of the picture is now outside of the tv and you cant see it. great for TV/ video viewing. a real pain for PC use, since you cant see the title bar of any maximised window and the start button/taskbar on win 7 is almost completely gone.

You might also have issues with colour space, but you can fix those with a bunch of confusing options.

Ok, so I thought i'd come back and serve the community some news. Whether you beleive it, like it, think it's good, bad, whatever, i'll leave that up to you.

But I just bought the UA55D8000 Samsung TV about a week ago, been testing it in various ways on my PC, consoles and otherwise.

This thing is amazingly good. Despite reading up on it having a 33ms input delay in Game Mode, and many people saying that is very high for gaming. I do not notice the input delay on any games i've played so far.

I've tried a good handful of games on the PC, Blops, BC2, Starcraft 2, Mass Effect 1+2, and a few other games here and there, and can thoroughly say I notice nothing, neither in single or multiplayer.

I've also tried a few console games including WipeOut HD Fury (including 3D mode to test out the glasses), Alan Wake, Infamous and one or two others.

It makes no difference if I run it directly through the display port (6990) to the TV or if I have it go Display Port > Auzentech Hometheatre HD Card > Amp > TV. There is no noticable input delay in Game Mode.

I am very pleased with the outcome of this.

And just to note, I notice no ghosting either. This is a truly spectacular TV in every respect. Well worth the dosh if you are willing and only held back by concerns about it's performance in gaming and such.

Edited by gloric

The only problem I've encountered is some white 'snow' outlining some things. If you're familiar with Mach Banding, that is roughly what this looks to be - some extremley dark colour (possibly true black) is being remapped to white. It's entirely possible this is a fault with the lappy's inbuilt graphics, it's HDMI port, or even a too-long cable.

i had that on our samsung 55" led (5000 series i think) most noticeable in the stalker screenshot i was using as a desktop background

turns out it was due to the tv's sharpness filter just move the slider right down and went away

tv looks best with sharpness at ~23 out of 100 so im not sure why it was glitching like that when hooked to the pc via hdmi

as for 1080p 55" lcd vs the dell u2711 2560x1440 27" monitor well the monitor is obviously much sharper with better colour accuracy and big enough if you sit close

the tv is great if you want to sit back in the couch a few meters away at that distance the pixels all blend together nicely leaving it looking great

the tv can actually use less power to despite the extra size thanks to the led backlight

Edited by Dasa

I have a Samsung P2770HD. Pretty cheap for its size, (27"), 1920x1080, has a digital/analogue tuner built in. It's not going to set the world on fire, but I don't think I'd want something too much bigger on my desk, and the quality is acceptable for gaming.

This is going to sound dumb, but I always hear about people going on about 30" Dell monitors, but I never see them anywhere; are they only available through Dell?

Edited by Periander

Uploaded a video recording of the mouse and TV to show any delay their might be from mouse to screen, I notice very little when I watch the recording, not even sure if it's delay or the fact that early in the clip the mouse is on low sensitivity and takes some time to kick in when it senses movement at that low sensitivity.

Either way, feel free to watch.

Although i didnt read through the thread fully i thought i might quickly just say a word about plasma from my experience.. Dont waste your money or your time.

As for the comment above, the mouse might have input lag.. and alot of plasma tv's suffer really badly from it.. eg, lg's 50" plasma. 2nd edit.. this is fully my opinion but after my 50" samsung plasma i will stay away from any tv/monitor made by them forever. Go Sony for lcd (tv's) or Panasonic for plasma, but dont go plasma, thats only if you dont understand your mistake or accept all the bs associated with them. Sorry this post seems negative, but get a 30" monitor or the ultra price friendly 24" :). Lg plasma's are good but before you buy research and make sure your not getting one with lg's wonderfully epic input lag :P

Edited by fn

Watch out for overscan! My samsung 32" series 6 non led TV has overscan on by default. I have not looked extensively but I could not find a setting to turn it of.

Much distaste for thy overscan.

I don't have a keyboard plugged into the PC attached to the TV, so clicking on items on the taskbar is just guess work sometimes. I should be able to just increase the size of the taskbar, but I'd prefer if I could find a way to just fix it. The available options on the TV don't help. Not found a software solution yet.

Opy, depending on what sort of tv you have it is relativity easy to set up the screen to a certain shape/zoom on the image.. I remember finding out that the samsung naturally cut bits of the side of the image in 16:9 unlike the sony when i first got it. So i just setup a custom zoom in 16:9 mode and got everything on screen.. Modern tv's do have very user friendly menu's ;p orr.. if you want to do it through the pc then just make the task bar two times higher and dont have anything on the bottom bit/level thingy.. right click on task bar then unlock then hover over the top of task bar until you get arrows then drag up.. Probs the easiest fix.

Edited by fn