nobody813

Intel's Sandy Bridge-E Series Thread

I've already got 2k put away for this. My next machine is gonna be Crazzzy

found some very interesting rumours about SB-E on VR-Zone:

Sandy Bridge E to ship without cooler

How many of you rely on aftermarket coolers for your CPU? We don't know anyone that thinks Intel's stock coolers are great and when details reached us of Intel not shipping coolers with its upcoming Sandy Bridge-E processors we were at first surprised, but considering the target market it makes a lot of sense.

The upcoming Core i7 processor from Intel, the 3820, 3930K and the 3960X will all ship without a cooler in the box. That said, Intel has decided to offer own brand coolers for the platform, it's just that they won't come in the box with the CPU. We can't really see why anyone would buy an Intel cooler over a third party cooler as not even Intel's high-end heatpipe cooler for its current and past Extreme Edition models were all that great. Some of the third party cooler makers will have products ready at launch, but worst case scenario, we might be looking at a cooler shortage at launch.

On top of this, we're hearing that although the rated TDP is 130W these beasts are consuming closer to 180W and that's without even overclocking them. In fact, according to PSU design guidance we've seen, Intel is telling power supply makers to make sure their Sandy Bridge-E PSUs can cope with a peak current of 23A on the 12V2 rail and based on an 80 percent or better efficiency rating of the PSU.

As such it might be a very good idea to invest in a water cooling kit if you're planning on going Sandy Bridge-E, especially if you're planning on pushing the boat out and overclock. The bad news for LN2 crowd is that at least early samples of Sandy Bridge-E is suffering from the dreaded cold bug, although this might have been fixed in later revisions of the processor.

On top of all that it looks like the quad core 3820 model has been delayed and will arrive later than the 3930K and 3960X, although we don't know exactly when Intel intends to release it to the market. Intel is currently working on the C1 stepping and this should be what ships in the end unless there are any unforeseen issues with the latest stepping. So in other words, good news all around…

Good News All Around!?!

180W TDP. That's just plain ridiculous. Only complete morons will buy these... surely.

cmon dude we dont go calling you guys morons in bd thread.

i hope we can slot ivy bridge in 1155 and get pcie 3.0.

cpu's are moving so fast though i dont feel we need more speed, these are good times!

SAS drive support, that's a great idea.

my first SKT1366 board had SAS drive support, then ASUS removed it.

:(

Lovely things these mobo makes do sometimes (not).

Edited by Jeruselem

and this what everone wants..

leaked benchies!

Original Article:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...8%26prmd%3Divns

That looks awesomely slow? Even given a six-core SnB with zero optimisation and no Turbo, shouldn't we expect moar performance?

Good News All Around!?!

180W TDP. That's just plain ridiculous. Only complete morons will buy these... surely.

It certainly is a massive TDP, albeit given SnB has a 95w TDP it sounds strangely high. There seem to be a few possibilities, it could be FUD - I've seen the 180w TDP figure bandied about before, but in relation to overclocked rather than stock performance, or Intel are having more problems with the SnB-E die than they're letting on and Nov is optimistic . However given the fundamental factors at play (one and a half 2600K's give or take), either way it's likely the TDP will be a lot closer to 135w than 180w come release day.

As for 'complete morons' that's a bit harsh; even at 180w these would be powerful chips, aimed at a specific (i.e. insane performance) segment of the market. That having been said... if released at 180w it would probably dissuade me were I considering buying one lol.

cpu's are moving so fast though i dont feel we need more speed, these are good times!

You might have missed my earlier quote - PCIe 3.0 is confirmed by Gigabyte come Ivy: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/press-...ort-pcie-gen-3/

Structurally there's no barrier afaik to PCIe 3.0 on most 1155 boards, so I'd expect pretty much all of them to support PCIe 3.0 with the release of Ivy-Bridge :)

Agree totally on the lack of need for extra performance - I just realised the other day my i7 860 is two years old this month, and @ 4.0 it still doms every piece of software on the horizon. Between the disheartening Bulldozer delays and the lack of an actual need for extra speed (and maybe also me getting old lol?) am thinking now I might hold off on an upgrade again till later next year. Maybe Enhanced-Bulldozer, Ivy-Bridge or suchlike.

I think I'm with you philo. My i7 950 does alright and at 4.2GHz it's no slouch. I'll be waiting at least until Piledriver or Ivy Bridge before thinking of upgrading, that way I'll feel the speed increase. Or maybe wait until Windows 8 and do a whole system update.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/2..._Estimates.html

The rough estimates of performance advantage of the Sandy Bridge E-series Core i7-3960X compared to the model Core i7-990X are the following:

+13% in Cinebench 1.5

+12% in POV-Ray 3.7

+36% in 3DMark 11 Physics Test

+15% in ProShow Gold 4.5

+34% in SPECint_rate base 2006

+65% in SPECfp_rate base 2006

+111% in Sandra 2011B/Multi-Media FP sub-test

+92% in Sandra 2011B/Memory Bandwidth FP sub-test

Posted Image

The newer x58 boards specify that they will support PCIE3 with the newer E CPUs - it's a CPU bottleneck, not a physical one, as Jeruselem posted earlier.

from one of the ASRock boards:

- 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots (PCIE2/PCIE4: single at x16 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4), or dual at x8 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4)) (PCI Express 3.0 with Intel® Ivy Bridge CPU, PCI Express 2.0 with Intel® Sandy Bridge CPU)

Mind you, at 180W, won't need heating in winter :)

I wouldn't all start thinking that all Gigabyte boards can support PCIe 3.0 just yet

MSI Calls Bluff on Gigabyte's PCIe Gen 3 Ready Claim

It'll be interesting if this is indeed true. Could be similar to the whole issue with SATA and USB 3.0 implementation on certain Intel boards, where PCIe 1.1 1x lanes were used...

I want to see what Gigabyte has in retaliation

I think I'm with you philo. My i7 950 does alright and at 4.2GHz it's no slouch. I'll be waiting at least until Piledriver or Ivy Bridge before thinking of upgrading, that way I'll feel the speed increase. Or maybe wait until Windows 8 and do a whole system update.

Definitely eh. Just made up a gaming rig for a friend using a 955BE and 970 board - stupidly cheap right now plus Bulldozer ready. But when overclocked the 955 even, that's a lot of CPU power.

The newer x58 boards specify that they will support PCIE3 with the newer E CPUs - it's a CPU bottleneck, not a physical one, as Jeruselem posted earlier.

It's P67 and Z68 boards not X58 - also it was my post not Jerusalems iirc ;)

I wouldn't all start thinking that all Gigabyte boards can support PCIe 3.0 just yet

It'll be interesting if this is indeed true. Could be similar to the whole issue with SATA and USB 3.0 implementation on certain Intel boards, where PCIe 1.1 1x lanes were used...

Fuck, nice find man, I wouldn't think a Gigabyte board would work with PCIe 3.0 without a BIOS update so wonder about MSI's thinking - but if they're right it's rather important.I'd assume that Gigabyte aren't so dumb as to be wrong/misleading about this, but like you am fascinated by what their response will be.

Also getting back onto the topic on Sandy-Bridge-E, semiccurate's/AMD's Charlie D claims that the first SnB-E processors will ship without PCIe 3.0:

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/09/09/will-sa...-without-pcie3/

Edited by philo-sofa

Definitely eh. Just made up a gaming rig for a friend using a 955BE and 970 board - stupidly cheap right now plus Bulldozer ready. But when overclocked the 955 even, that's a lot of CPU power.

Fuck, nice find man, I wouldn't think a Gigabyte board would work with PCIe 3.0 without a BIOS update so wonder about MSI's thinking - but if they're right it's rather important.I'd assume that Gigabyte aren't so dumb as to be wrong/misleading about this, but like you am fascinated by what their response will be.

Also getting back onto the topic on Sandy-Bridge-E, semiccurate's/AMD's Charlie D claims that the first SnB-E processors will ship without PCIe 3.0:

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/09/09/will-sa...-without-pcie3/

So will SB-E turn out like Sandy bridge and not be full featured?

im not worrying anyway as ive almost maxed out my system anyway and intend to keep it till ivy -E!

+1 philo, hell my 950 does fine but im wanting to get one last CPU upgrade out of this rig to make it last a bit longer... plus my current chip runs hot (mind you it is on stock cooling) :P

Edited by jdog

If MSI is right, it would be like trying to do this:

I have an AM2+ motherboard, with DDR2 memory. I updated my BIOS ages ago, so I could use the new AM3 based Phenom II's. Eventually I bought a Phenom II, but even though the Phenom II chips support DDR3, my motherboard can only take DDR2

That might be a stupid example, but the basic principles behind it are the same. Just because boards can take the newer CPU's, doesn't mean they can take advantage of everything they offer

^^

nice preview!

from the looks of it i hope that the launch of this will see 1366 chips fall so i can pick up a 6 core on the cheap! (from that preview there isnt much difference)

nice find man!

Intel Core i7-3960X (Sandy Bridge-E) And X79 Platform Preview

I'll let you all be the judge. Strange it shows up right on the eve of Bulldozer hey? :-/

not really, my guess is intel has had these pre developed since Sandy Bridge first came out just sitting there ready to go when the time is right, however since AMD can barely compete in the mid range let alone high end desktop market why release it? I wouldn't, keep your cards close to your heart right? anyway looks like some good gains in apps that support multi core processing.

Cheers for the preview nobody. TBH, as a gamer tho, I have to say 'meh'. The main thing it reinforces for me is that to be relevant now, Bulldozer has to perform well per thread.

Cheers for the preview nobody. TBH, as a gamer tho, I have to say 'meh'. The main thing it reinforces for me is that to be relevant now, Bulldozer has to perform well per thread.

I'm just glad that SB-E... according to Tom's at least. Isn't all it's cracked up to be. Not that much of an improvement really. And the Intel 2600k seems to be still the best bang for buck from the Intel camp.

This bodes well for Bulldozer.

Apologies philo-sofa! I blame lack of sleep, alcohol and not having my glasses on :) Still, you picked up on what I meant - cheers for the corrections :)

I'm just glad that SB-E... according to Tom's at least. Isn't all it's cracked up to be. Not that much of an improvement really. And the Intel 2600k seems to be still the best bang for buck from the Intel camp.

True. But Sandy Bridge-E was never gonna be a huge improvement over Sand Bridge, in my books

Apologies philo-sofa! I blame lack of sleep, alcohol and not having my glasses on :) Still, you picked up on what I meant - cheers for the corrections :)

Mmm, booze :D

True. But Sandy Bridge-E was never gonna be a huge improvement over Sand Bridge, in my books

I'd have to agree with you nobody, didn't expect much from SnB-E except more lanes and perhaps slightly better overclockability. At the end of the day it all depends on how well a Bulldozer module performs...

The guns are holstered, the two shooters are glaring at each other across the silicon-strewn battlefield (see what I did thar?) now if someone would just fire a shot! Of course... Intel has let us know how big it's gun is before AMD, so... erm. Ok so not an ideal analogy going forward in many regards, but it's interesting that Intel released a preview before AMD - does it mean Intel is nervous, or does it mean they're confident?

FIRE!

Edited by philo-sofa

philo-sofa, I award you 10 Atomican points for agreeing with me :-)

And yes, I can't wait to see how well Bulldozer goes. If it can beat "normal" Sand Bridge is highly thread apps (which a Phenom II X6 struggles to do), I'll be happy. And if it is comparable to say last gen i7, I'll be very happy

I'd have to agree with you nobody, didn't expect much from SnB-E except more lanes and perhaps slightly better overclockability. At the end of the day it all depends on how well a Bulldozer module performs...

The guns are holstered, the two shooters are glaring at each other across the silicon-strewn battlefield (see what I did thar?) now if someone would just fire a shot! Of course... Intel has let us know how big it's gun is before AMD, so... erm. Ok so not an ideal analogy going forward in many regards, but it's interesting that Intel released a preview before AMD - does it mean Intel is nervous, or does it mean they're confident?

FIRE!

It's not the size of the gun that counts.

Of course, nobody should probably explain why he didn't expect much more from SnB-E. After all. E for Extreme should mean just that... extreme.