Sign in to follow this  
atosniper

100 vs 200 mbps - Should I change my i'net plan?

So here in Japan I currently have a 200 mbps (or is it Mbps, or MBPS, not sure of exact notation) plan. It's fast.

But, as mentioned by TheFrunj in another thread 200 is ridiculously fast for a home user. I've been thinking perhaps I dont really need 200, and might change to 100.

The 100 plan is 600 yen cheaper per month. To change I need to pay 8400 yen. So it would take 14 months to recover costs, although if I use 100 from then on for quite some time then recovering costs is a moot point.

What is 200 really used for? Do I really use 200, or even 100 for that matter? I would describe myself as a typical home user; I browse the internet a bit (my favourite sites), I sometimes watch online videos such as youtube, I visit Uncle only on the very rare occasion, I game online, etc. How much does gaming take up? I tend to play either MMOs (although I am not currently playing any, and havent any wish to play any atm) or fps games like TF2 (and am eagerly awaiting BF3).

So do I change to the lower bandwidth plan?

(I dont get exactly 200, but it's close - usually around 180-190. I assume the 100 would be similar - something around 80-90.)

14 months is a long ROI for a home user.

I'd say unless you need that Y600/month, stick with it.

200mbps.... *drools*

im stuck with my ADSL2+ which i only get around 4.5mbps on....

cant wait for fibre :D

(oh btw i cant imagine there would be any difference between 100 and 200mbps for gaming or watching streaming vids or just about anything else other then downloading huge files, but as maxx said 14 months is a long time to wait for you to see any returns, also im not sure how long plan prices stay current over in japan but im constantly changing plans over here as nearly every 6 months my plan gets cheaper)

Edited by ridir

14 months is a long ROI for a home user.

I'd say unless you need that Y600/month, stick with it.

Well I'm a dirty miser :) I kind of figure if I'm not using it, why pay for it? Also, if 100 turns out to be more than enough for my needs then I assume I'd use it for quite some time (ie many years minimum) which makes 14 months roi a bit irrelevant.

Know if I'd use 200, or even 100 based on what I've said I do on the internetz? I'm not sure what 200 is used for by people who use that much...

Gaming uses very little bandwidth, mostly. I can play online shooters fine with 256kpbs, like a thousand times slower than your connection. Latency is the main thing, and I'm guessing you won't have an issue there with a 200meg connection.

Yours would be 200 megabits per second, meaning you could download a file at 20 megabytes per second. Which is crazy fast for home internet.

For general internet browsing, there is very little difference in page loading speed, depending on content, once you're above 1 meg/s. Your connection on youtube would mean videos would load nigh-instantaneously, dropping it to 100meg... they'd probably load exactly the same!

If you could downgrade your plan with no fee to do so, it would be the smart thing to do. But as you say it would take ages to recoup the cost of downgrading with the lower plan, you might as well stick with it.

You have a 100GB plan and are considering updating to a 200GB plan, aren't you?

*EDIT* Heh, missed the Japan bit.

If you're not worried about download times you're getting on things, don't upgrade. If you are, do.

Edited by tantryl

You have a 100GB plan and are considering updating to a 200GB plan, aren't you?

*EDIT* Heh, missed the Japan bit.

If you're not worried about download times you're getting on things, don't upgrade. If you are, do.

hes not asking about upgrade hes asking about downgrade >.>

As others have said you really don't need even 100mbps to stream HD content; whatever you browse on the internet is limited by the speed of the hosting server anyway.

Personally if I were going to be living there for years and I could see myself needing the extra money in the future, I'd change. But since it costs $100 to change and only saves you $7 a month it's not really that big of a deal whichever way you view it :) I mean that's what, two coffees?

Who knows though, in the future we might be able to stream 1440P content in 3D over our internet connections! You'd be able to multistream :P

Cheers for the reply, Frunj.

I think I probably will change to the lower plan. It will take a year or so to break even but then it's money in my pocket! Haha, not much money, but maybe it can pay for something that I'll actually use, like a new book every month!

i would subscribe the shit out of a 200mbps connection.. getting blu ray rips from a paid service of movies that i own the retail correct reigon blu ray discs of would be so fast... not tryin to brag fyi i am just being honest lol

i would subscribe the shit out of a 200mbps connection.. getting blu ray rips from a paid service of movies that i own the retail correct reigon blu ray discs of would be so fast... not tryin to brag fyi i am just being honest lol

Why not just rip the discs and save yourself downloading something you already have? It's what I do.

But man, the thing you could do with a 200meg connection... get a good wireless setup and charge all your neighbours $30 a month to use it, throttle them all at like 20meg or whatever, bam, free connection.

Yeah, but everyone else (neighbours) has similar connections, so why would they want mine? When everyone has the same, pretty much, tis hard to get penile envy :P And as I've realised mine is too large and not getting enough use, I figure I may as well downsize! >_>