SoaS

Kogan TV's

Hi,

I'm helping my sister choose a tv, and I remember seeing a thread on here not too long ago with very positive feedback.

Well recently I was staying in a hotel which had one of these units, a 32" but not full hd. It had a fairly slow menus, and sometimes I'd get delays of around 2 seconds just to change the channel.

Is this normal for these tv or was just because it wasn't an decent full HD model?

That seems to be a problem with most TVs these days, big delays to change channel or source, clunky menus, that sort of thing. I haven't used a $3k Sony or anything like that, but I would say they'd be better.

The lower resolution screen of the TV you used wouldn't have an impact on the usability performance of it - except maybe in the fact that lower-res TVs are overall cheaper products, and so would have even less attention paid to the swiftness of the menus.

Ye menu speed on my 40" Kogan and previous SD 32" Samsung could be a bit slow. I think it's basically a function of the very limited processing power and memory used in these things. Plus possibly lack of optimisation in the software. Just the bare minimum to do the job.

I did notice quite a speed improvement in some menu speeds on my TVix PVR after several firmware upgrades.

I wonder if a higher quality remote would help things along? TV remotes seem to be about the cheapest heaps of crap in all of tech, which is strange considering it's a very commonly used item. And they're crappily designed, covered in buttons 99% of people won't ever use.

I wonder if a higher quality remote would help things along? TV remotes seem to be about the cheapest heaps of crap in all of tech, which is strange considering it's a very commonly used item. And they're crappily designed, covered in buttons 99% of people won't ever use.

Don't think so as I have a Logitech Harmony 1100I and menus seem no faster.

My Tivo menus are actually a fraction slower than my TV menus. Neither of those takes anything like the "2 seconds; mentioned in OP - maybe a half a second at the outside.

Probably the slowest is the BD player. That thing takes so long that I've mistaken the delay for not receiving a remote command at all on several occasions, resulting in another press and then the two presses execute together! >:P

yeah menus are a little slow, but channels only seem it because its waiting for the timeout of channel input.

If you push 99 'enter', its a lot faster than 99 *wait*

But yeah, its not a kogan thing. Id say 1 propper second at max. Hotel systems often add very noticible delay.

How are Kogans?

Are they good quality?

They got some pretty good deals.

Sorry, dude, I can only parrot 2nd-hand information because I have no personal experience of them. What I've heard has all been positive, however.

Yeah, when they first came out they kinda took australia by shock.

Every magazine ive seen, and every newspaper article praised them.

My parents have one, and my house mate has one too; amazing things.

Clarity and viewing angle are perfect, menus arent too slow IMO (as i said, 1 proper second), and well, they charge a pittance to ship.

I say go for gold. Im very impressed.

How are Kogans?

Are they good quality?

They got some pretty good deals.

So far happy with mine, except the stand feels a little frail. Menus seem to work ok and picture quality is acceptable to me.

Mainly used for watching the MotoGP with some mates who cannot get commercial digital TV reception at their place.

:-)

Audio wise the speakers are pretty tinny so I have the audio running through my amp to my big old stereo floor speakers.

Got this one

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/40-full-hd-le...-samsung-panel/

The neck of the stand appears to be a perspex tube and has a bit of flex in it, so perhaps something to be careful of.

Also have this BD player

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-blu-ray...-full-hd-1080p/

but not used it for BD disks yet as still awaiting arrival of Torchwood S1 to S3 BD box set and Primeval S5 BD (my first Blu-Ray purchases)

DVD playback seems ok though.

As Kogan is paperless you do not get a printed manual or invoice, but they provide an invoice via email and the manuals can be downloaded from their site. They are pretty basic though not explaining much about connecting up to various other appliances.

and just like hisense; if you have a complaint about a way it functions; just let them know and they'll often send you a custom firmware!

For that reason alone i love Kogan and Hisense. Both have done it in the past :)

I have spoken of my affection for Kogan products here many times (Just search) IMHO they are the best bang for buck TV out there. And as I mentioned a week or so ago, their extended warranty even covers the remote, mine was playing up after about 4 years and would not turn the TV on or off so they just sent me a new one.

My older son has his eye on this one 46" Full HD 3D LED* TV with PVR - 3D Series 3D 100HZ FULL HD PANEL IN AN ULTRA SLIM DESIGN $998.00

but not used it for BD disks yet as still awaiting arrival of Torchwood S1 to S3 BD box set and Primeval S5 BD (my first Blu-Ray purchases)

If those are your first BD purchases, you may be quite disappointed. Most TV doesn't look particularly amazing on blu, simply as a result of lower budget, crapper equipment, less post production, etc. There's a definite improvement over DVD, but really, that's not hard. The Firefly blu-rays are a significant increase over the DVDs. Any animated shows actually look amazing on blu-ray, Futurama, Metalocalypse etc. The real gold is in high budget films and animated Pixar and Dreamworks stuff though.

animated looks amazing?

I always assumed with the simpleness of animation to display, that simple computer post-processing would do the same shit as any bluray would do.

Watching a family guy DVD on my TV, with the computer naturally upscaling; I cant honestly say how it could be improved. Lines are smooth and accurate and colors are bright.... what else is there to improve? lol.

More smooth and more accurate.

Bluray shits on DVD even for cartoons. As said, Pixar cartoons especially.

I assumed the same, but because animation is so much simpler than video footage, they are able to use higher definition to really makes things look incredibly sharp and vivid without having to worry about skin tones and all that stuff. Here's a comparison of some rips (don't own both DVD and Blu)

SD Metalocapyspe fullscreened:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/katanaboy/sdmetal.jpg

720p Metalocalypse fullscreened:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/katanaboy/hdmetal.jpg

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony

If those are your first BD purchases, you may be quite disappointed. Most TV doesn't look particularly amazing on blu, simply as a result of lower budget, crapper equipment, less post production, etc. There's a definite improvement over DVD, but really, that's not hard.

For Primeval I would hope it is a fair bit better as it is 2 BD disks vs 2 DVDs

For Torchwood again I would hope it is better as it is 12BD disks vs 14 DVDs plus it was quite a bit cheaper than the DVD set.

The Firefly blu-rays are a significant increase over the DVDs.

Damn you don't tell me that or I will have to get Firefly on BD and flog off the DVDs.

Gahhhhhhhhh.

Any animated shows actually look amazing on blu-ray, Futurama, Metalocalypse etc. The real gold is in high budget films and animated Pixar and Dreamworks stuff though.

Only anime I have is Cowboy Bebop, on DVD.

But yes now I have a BD player I will be buying movies on BD as well.

I assumed the same, but because animation is so much simpler than video footage, they are able to use higher definition to really makes things look incredibly sharp and vivid without having to worry about skin tones and all that stuff. Here's a comparison of some rips (don't own both DVD and Blu)

SD Metalocapyspe fullscreened:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/katanaboy/sdmetal.jpg

720p Metalocalypse fullscreened:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/katanaboy/hdmetal.jpg

It's like the difference between a movie file (say avi) vs. a flash file with vector graphics.

Where cartoons would suffer, is the hard edges and flat area of colour… the compression techniques typically applied to video usually aren't that good in these areas.

Posted Image

If you look at the above cartoon, you'll notice artifacts around the thought/speech bubbles shown. This is not unlike what you'd see in video.

Naturally the effects here are greatly exaggerated due to the considerably lower quality of compression used in the above image, versus what would be used on a DVD or even Blu-ray, but it's an illustration of what phenomena is at play here.

Well, personally, I could recommend Kogan. My family has been using it for 3 years +. Design-wise, I don't think it could compete with new ones. But quality is good.

I think the TV software is where they save some money.

I have a Senzu 37" television, its a JB HiFi brand I think and it uses the same software as a Soniq telly, its slow and painful to use, but it works and after all, you do get what you pay for.

I suppose you just need to decide what you want, high quality, fast menus etc. and an empty wallet or lower quality software with decent hardware, for examply my TV uses a Samsung LCD panel so even though its a cheap TV the hardware is decent enough that consoles and Blurays look really nice on it, but it lacks the other hardware to do 1080p via pc to the television or 1080p via VGA, just one of the many tradeoffs I suppose.

Any HDMI cables will do there is no need to pay big money for them its just a gimmick, Kogan have cables as well.