Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
spaced

GTA4 for PC

Seems pretty standard stuff for this day and age, not limiting installs is a good thing as well. I'll still be buying it the moment it comes out.

Completely agreed.

I have no issue with DRM, as long as it doesn't limit you in any stupid way like Spore did. I approve of their choice of DRM restrictions. I also like how they're actively pursuing multiple digital distribution channels.

z0mg! IT'S THIS TUESDAY! IT'S TOTALLY TUESDAY!

I'm so tempted to quit work. That way, I can play it all day the day it comes out! z0mg!

(dont' worry, quitting work and playing GTA are completely unrelated. I only have a month left before I'd be gone anyway, but I can't stand various aspects for much longer, so I'm about to burst anyway... )

DRM eh?

not buying it.

Why? It's not as if it's restrictive. Rockstar are being quite open about it, and I reckon they've found a nice balance between DRM and freedom. Why?

-You can install it on as many PCs as you like. You can activate the game as many times as you like.

-You do need an active internet connection to activate each install, but you can still activate it using another PC if the one you are installing on doesn't have the internet. From what I understand, it may even be simple enough you could call up a mate and get him to do it for you.

-The only restriction on who can play it at any given time is you have to have the DVD in the DVD drive, or for digital distribution, who is logged in to the account that owns the game.

-Uninstaled the game and want to remove every trace of SecuROM? Rockstar are releasing instructions on how to get rid of every last shred of the crap.

Let's just hope SecuROM hold up their end of the deal, and it doesn't stop the game from working. (Which is why if you're worried, you wait a week to buy it, and see if lots of people start bitching about it)

Don't care. I'd rather pirate it than support it.

So you'll take a stand for what you believe in, as long as you don't miss out?

Nope, just show that if they continue to put these kinds of measures into games that people will avoid purchasing the game and will end up getting copies elsewhere.

A missed sale they can speculate about. Counters on torrent sites etc are a little bit more definite in my mind.

Nope, just show that if they continue to put these kinds of measures into games that people will avoid purchasing the game and will end up getting copies elsewhere.

A missed sale they can speculate about. Counters on torrent sites etc are a little bit more definite in my mind.

And the publishers will read it as another reason to stop development on PC.

Or a reason to put even more strict DRM on future releases.

Don't like the DRM? Then don't buy it.

But that means not playing it either.

Edited by Charcoal

I pre-ordered it then I cancelled it. Why?

Well, I believe it belongs on the console and DRM is becoming a big joke.

I've already read the PC reviews and it doesn't look as promising compared to the console versions.

If your not part of the solution them you are definetly part of the problem. and nothing you are saying can be construed as being part of a solution. ipso facto you are part of the problem.

slap//

IMHO Rockstar seem to be very open and accomodating within all reasonable grounds with there implementation of DRM and I for one applaud that and will support THEIR commonsense by actually paying for the game.

I pre-ordered it then I cancelled it. Why?

Well, I believe it belongs on the console and DRM is becoming a big joke.

I've already read the PC reviews and it doesn't look as promising compared to the console versions.

I fail to see the issue with DRM in this game. In fact all things considered its quite accomodating. It is a little annoying having to have the disk in to play but really 'meh'. Not like Mass Effect for example with its limited activations.

I also fail to see how The PC version can be worse than the console version. if anything it will look better. I will be playing it with a Game pad anyway.

I guess some people will use any excuse to justify their piracy. What exactly about the DRM in GTA IV is it that you hate so much?

Another way of putting it, If you lock the door to your house, does that give me the right to break in and steal your shit?

Edited by Boosta

You realize it's because of people like you, that such DRM exists, right?

You realize it's because of people like you, that such DRM exists, right?

QFT.

Moving right along before this thread gets locked because of yet another debate about DRM.. :P

I also fail to see how The PC version can be worse than the console version. if anything it will look better. I will be playing it with a Game pad anyway.

The first thing that springs to mind is that there was some downloadable content exclusively for XBox.

Apart from controllers, I really can't think of anything else that would make the game better or worse. The graphics quality may be different, but that shouldn't change how good the game is. I think the PC version has an option to change the traffic density. But everything else is the same, isn't it?

IMHO Rockstar seem to be very open and accomodating within all reasonable grounds with there implementation of DRM and I for one applaud that and will support THEIR commonsense by actually paying for the game.

+1

It seems to me that Rockstar have actually put a bit of thought into their implementation, taken on board the concerns of their customers, and are approaching the issue with a quid pro quo attitude.

Well done Rockstar.

I don't really care guys. I was all willing to line up and pay for the game, but the mere mention of DRM means i wont be paying a cent for it. Love me or hate me for it, i really couldn't give a rats arse. I'll end up playing it one way or another, either by download or simply by borrowing a friends copy.

Apart from controllers, I really can't think of anything else that would make the game better or worse. The graphics quality may be different, but that shouldn't change how good the game is. I think the PC version has an option to change the traffic density. But everything else is the same, isn't it?

Uh...The ability to play the game at a constant 30fps+ springs to mind....

I don't really care guys. I was all willing to line up and pay for the game, but the mere mention of DRM means i wont be paying a cent for it. Love me or hate me for it, i really couldn't give a rats arse. I'll end up playing it one way or another, either by download or simply by borrowing a friends copy.

amen brother.

thats how i felt about Bioshock.

i refuse to buy a game i cant install and play without being connected to the net. period. that is a faulty product. i dont buy things that are already broken.

but, sif i was never going to find a way to play HL2, for instance! LOL

i refuse to buy a game i cant install and play without being connected to the net. period. that is a faulty product. i dont buy things that are already broken.

I'd like to know somebody, anybody that has a pc capable of playing any of the newer games that require an internet connection to activate, that doesn't have access to the internet.

THAT is a faulty product if you ask me.

How is being required to have an internet connection to use a product any different than other system requirements, IE CPU, Graphics card, HDD space etc etc.

As for borrowing it off a friend... fuck me. You would still have to activate it the same way as if you bought it from the shop. If you download it, then you clearly have an internet connection so your argument against that is just fucking retarded. But hey whatever helps you sleep at night.

lol that's certainly my view. "Internet connection required for activation". That is so fucking 1999. Who the hell doesn't have an internet connection?

not if you bypass the need to do so :)

interesting how you seem to think i need to justify my not purchasing it - i was all about purchasing it until i heard about the DRM. so up until i read this information, i was ready to spend the money. now the only thing has changed is not the amount of money in my hand, but the desire to support a company who uses such measures - especially securerom.

have a nice night :)

interesting how you seem to think i need to justify my not purchasing it - i was all about purchasing it until i heard about the DRM. so up until i read this information, i was ready to spend the money. now the only thing has changed is not the amount of money in my hand, but the desire to support a company who uses such measures - especially securerom.

Obviously you don't need to justify not purchasing it.

But what we need to know is why you think you have the right to play the game without paying for it.