That would be Telstra Cable alright.

Throw on a Telstra Cable Modem and your good to go.

Just make sure you sign up or it wont work.

8)

Looks like a standard coaxial TV plug to me but maybe seeing as it's got 'Telstra' written on it it is for pay TV?

does it have to be telstra? gosh, telstra bigpond - naked cable 200GB is $99.95 a month. i can't afford that...!

Yeha, has to be Telstra.

Cable is not one of those that you can pick your provider.

Its either Telstra Cable or ADSL if you have a phone line run into the place.

But given that looks like its in the spot a phone line normally sits, i think you be stuck.

8)

Yeha, has to be Telstra.

Cable is not one of those that you can pick your provider.

Its either Telstra Cable or ADSL if you have a phone line run into the place.

But given that looks like its in the spot a phone line normally sits, i think you be stuck.

8)

Pretty sure there can be more than 1 cable provider in an area can't there?

Could be a dish, yep.

And while you can have more than one cable provider the cables are physically different networks.

EDIT: AFAIK

Edited by Master_Scythe

The connector itself is a F-connector, pretty sure. Judging by the wall plate, unless some shenanigans have gone on, it'll be connected to the Telstra Bigpond/Foxtel cable network.

Is it theoretically possible for other ISPs to offer Internet services via that coax? Yes. Do they? No, because Telstra don't believe in sharing their cable network with anybody. For this reason you're stuck with Telstra for cable Internet via that socket.

Nothing you can do about it.

ADSL is a somewhat different arrangement in that, the infrastructure is shared with other suppliers. Hence why you have a choice of ISP, it has been set up to permit this.

The last place I owned, I had Optus cable and I also had Foxtel. So pretty sure I could have selected my cable internet provider. Granted, I would have to pony for a connection fee, but the choice was there.

That reminds me, back in the day...when I first bought a tuner card for my PC, I could descramble all of Optus Vison's cable TV channels on my PC and still have Foxtel pumping through the tellie.

Ahh, good ol' days :)

Put your tongue on it.

If it tastes like shit it's a Telstra cable.

If it tastes like expensive shit it's a Foxtel cable.

The last place I owned, I had Optus cable and I also had Foxtel. So pretty sure I could have selected my cable internet provider. Granted, I would have to pony for a connection fee, but the choice was there.

Yes, you could choose to get an Optus broadband service via the Optus cable connection, or a Telstra broadband service via the Telstra cable connection. Not vice versa, and you certainly couldn't choose outside of those two unless you wanted to go ADSL.

Geez, lots of choice there.

I was responding to those who commented along the lines of "Cable is not one of those that you can pick your provider" when clearly you can I could.

Edited by twinair

I was responding to those who commented along the lines of "Cable is not one of those that you can pick your provider" when clearly you can I could.

But only if both Telstra and Optus cable ran past your house, Some areas have both suppliers cable some only one. So you can only "pick your provider" if there is infrastructure duplication by the two cable providers.

So no you can't pick your provider on whichever cable is currently connected.

Put your tongue on it.

If it tastes like shit it's a Telstra cable.

If it tastes like expensive shit it's a Foxtel cable.

POTM !!

But only if both Telstra and Optus cable ran past your house

Which they did...again. I don't see the problem here.

What people are explaining, is that he has a telstra cable. No install costs, he'd just have to have a service 'activated'. Even if Optus runs past his house, that port is useless for it.

If you had a telstra cable in your house, you cant use optus. and vice versa.

You had both as an option, but you need a new physical cable to make switching a reality; thats all.

What people are explaining, is that he has a telstra cable. No install costs, he'd just have to have a service 'activated'. Even if Optus runs past his house, that port is useless for it.

If you had a telstra cable in your house, you cant use optus. and vice versa.

You had both as an option, but you need a new physical cable to make switching a reality; thats all.

/headdesk.

People need to be banned from using emote only responses.

Did you headdesk for not realising sooner?

Did you headdesk because Im wrong? (if so, huh? Im certain I was right about this in the past, i looked long and hard into cable when I moved)

Are you lacking on sleep?

Are you diabetic and we should call someone to being you insulin?

I are confus....

If you have a telstra cable coming in, you cant choose to use that telstra cable for optus.... no?

I are confus....

If you have a telstra cable coming in, you cant choose to use that telstra cable for optus.... no?

For.

Fuck.

Sake.

I know that you imbecile. What I said in the first place is that I had both Telstra and Optus cable going in to my house. I could have chosen to go with either provider.

Jesus H Christ. How fucking hard is it to understand?!

I had FOXTEL...and I had OPTUS INTERNET.

If I so desired I could have canned OPTUS INTERNET and had BIGPOND INTERNET piped to me via the EXISTING FOXTEL CONNECTION which is a CABLE owned by TELSTRA.

I am sorry mods, I canne take it no more!!!

BigPond® Cable Broadband connects to the internet using a Telstra cable installed in your house - the same kind used for FOXTEL.

Edited by twinair

Clearly, quite difficult...

Im sorry if i'm the only one who read it this way; but your wording (to me) makes it sound like you're saying you had Optus internet over the foxtel cable.

Which, unless things have changed, I was under the impression was not possible. It wasnt clear that you have both networks in your house at once (which with your latest post, sounds like thats the case). Austar is another story.

No need to have an anurism, take a nap!

Edited by Master_Scythe