Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
MandoTiM

MandoTiM's Photos

three shots from the weekend,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

perhaps the last is a little dark but I like the mood, taken against the sun but with minimal post processing (ie vibrance and saturation and some high point recovery).

Hey man, glad you could join the trend. The 2n one, with a bit of closer cropping and maybe some saturation and playing around in Lightroom or similar, would make an awesome detail shot. The 3rd one I don't think is too dark at all...it adds a certain mood to the scene, which I think would otherwise be fairly non-descript.

EDIT: Oh yeah, what camera and settings did you use for these?

Edited by Antraman

I don't normally like the beach but your photos make it look like a nice and relaxing place to be ;p

I like the compositions of #1 and 3. Also agree on tighter crop for #2.

It's good to see these threads coming along. The more the merrier!!1

Thanks, all.

No, I'm not a great beach shot guy either... Nothing like a Monday on the beach.

Interesting comment on 2, I'd already cropped a fair amount off the sides and I was trying to retain some non-central positioning on it. Do need to use sharpening though

Antraman - Nikon D200, 18-70mm zoom,

shot 1, 37mm, f8, 1/500s

shot 2, 70mm, f8, 1/500s

shot 3, 18mm, f9, 1/500s

Auto colour balance,

Edited by MandoTiM

Firstly now that we have a number of threads with users photos in them can we ask for that sticky again with links to each of the threads?

now for a couple of shots taken today, on holiday, slightly modified in CS4

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

hmm, I'd have to say they look a bit washed out on a webpage and that's after some added saturation and vibrance...

That place look idyllic...where is is?

Your compositions on both those shots I think is good, a lot of interest there. I think there could be a bit more dark in them though, to add some contrast and give them depth...maybe thats whats causing the washed out look you mentioned. Like in the 2nd one, the sky is white....maybe if you lower the exposure a bit, the add contrast.

I don't know if its my tired eyes in the morning or my monitor or what, but they seem a little out of focus...

I don't know if its my tired eyes in the morning or my monitor or what, but they seem a little out of focus...

I think its a bit of camera shake + motion blur. Or it might be my hung over as fuck eyes. One can never tell ;)

I always find it difficult to shoot architecture when its overcast. The light is usually flat and horrible. I think that's the main reason for them being washed out.

And yea, where is that place?

-X

I think its a bit of camera shake + motion blur. Or it might be my hung over as fuck eyes. One can never tell ;)

I always find it difficult to shoot architecture when its overcast. The light is usually flat and horrible. I think that's the main reason for them being washed out.

And yea, where is that place?

-X

Could be slighlty blurry, shouldn't be camera shake, although I didn't check, I had reduced the size of the JPGs to post so this may have had an impact. [Just checked the NEF and JPG and it looks like it's the size reduction, the NEF looks reasonably crisp, nothing some sharpness can't improve] It has been overcast with the sky needing much faster exposure to get any texture and the rest quite slow or open aperture (depending on the depth of field). First one 1/160th, ISO400, f4.5, second 1/60th, ISO200, f7/1 (needed the dof, perhaps I should have used a higher ISO but try to change this to keep the exposure around 1/200th). Admit second is probably slightly shaky, might have been the huge meal I ate just beforehand, I can't believe the locals are so thin if they eat like this all the time, perhaps it's the hills.

The place is St-Cirq-Lapopie in the Lot region of France, one of 'France's most beautiful villages'. Staying around here for a week then off to the Auvergne. I'll try to post some of the more interesting shot's but with the current weather may not be frequent (it's now overcast with a low cloud base). Wherever possible I have been taking second shots of the sky to use later in P/S to get some depth and texture, I think this is the only way given the lack of obvious texture in the light. Perhaps others can shed light on other technique's in heavily overcast weather?

One thing I am doing is trying to get large area shots with more detail by pasting together smaller individual shots at higher focal length in P/S but the actual pasting will need to wait as the portable just doesn't have the power that the desktop has and with 20 or so shots in each 'frame'... Worked really well on some old chateaux we saw on the last trip. Now going to try this as a more general technique on some landscapes but not panoramas, the first shot is from one of these multi-shot frames. Do have a panorama attachment that I will use later (weather permitting) but have found that hand held shots are as good for these frames.

Edited by MandoTiM

a.n.other. This time a cathedral in Villefranche de Rouerguez on the Aveyron, France. See how this shows on the net, again slight enhancement of vibrance and saturation. Sky clearly affected by Polariser. This time I've posted a link to the full picture.

Posted Image

This time the shots are taken in the Auvergne, just north of Le Puy-en-Velay, probably my favourite location in France. The first one is of the village of Roche-en-Regnier, or at least the roof tops of, taken from the tower on the hill above the village. The hill is a Puy or old basalt plug from the volcanics around the area, here only slightly eroded where in Le Puy they are like the basalt plugs in Clermont, Qld (named after the town of Clermont-Ferrand here) or Le Puy here.

Posted Image

and the second of the village of Chalencon nearby,

Posted Image

hope you like...

Edited by MandoTiM

so why has the automatic graphic shrinker started working?

That thing is not bound by logic. I have NFI what is up with it. Maybe it was never hugged as a child or something.

-X

A few more, having been away from a decent i-net connection they have built up so only the better ones (I think). I'll try to add what they are of as well as I go. All pics below are small JPGs linked to larger screen sized ones - all reduced from original dimensions.

Posted Image

Our last view of the Auvergne region of France as we were leaving in the morning, one of those magical moments when one just happened to have the camera in the car at the right time.

D200, 3 shots merged, each f7.1, 1/400th, ISO 100, 18-70mm @ 70mm

Posted Image

"Our Lady of Notre Dame" at Le Puy-en-Velay

D200, 18-70mm @ 70mm, f7.1, 1/160th, ISO 100

Posted Image

Villedieu, Provence

D200, 18-70mm @ 70mm, f8, 1/320th, ISO 400

Posted Image

Grapevines near Villedieu, Provence

D200, 18-70mm @ 62mm, f8, 1/320th, ISO 400

Posted Image

Montbrun-les-Bains, Provence

D200, 18-70mm @ 24mm, f5, 1/400th, ISO 100

Posted Image

Some may recognise this if you watch the Tour-de-France on a regular basis..

Mt Ventoux from the first corner of the road at which the summit is visible on the way up. Looks like snow but is just barren limestone rock.

D200, 18-70mm @ 70mm, f5, 1/250th, ISO 100

Posted Image

A valley in the Cevennes to the west of Nimes, the leaves were just starting to show signs of colour but unfortunately there was rather a lot of heat haze around.

D200, 18-70mm @ 70mm, f7.1, 1/500th, ISO 800

Posted Image

Tour St Jacques, Paris, 4th Arrondissement...

D200, Sigma 10-20mm @ 20mm, f5, 1/400th, ISO 400

Posted Image

...and from closer up.

D200, Sigma 10-20mm @ 20mm, f5, 1/200th, ISO 400

Posted Image

the Notre Dame, itself, Paris, Ile de France.

D200, Sigma 10-20mm @ 12mm, f7.1, 1/320th, ISO 400

and the last will need to wait as the system won't let me post it in this message

enjoy...

(don't know why the last link didn't work)

thanks.

and the last for now...

Posted Image

The ubiquitous Seine with one of the thousands of tourist craft. Not sure I have seen anywhere with so many tourists even in October but the weather is fantastic at the moment as the photos show and it was a Sunday. Perhaps more on the French later but it would be off topic and mre likely to turn up elsewhere...

D200, Sigma 10-20mm @ 19mm, f7.1 , 1/160, ISO 400.

Not normally one of my usual shots but I was asked by the wife to take a photo of some flowers she was given on Sat evening for arranging the music for a Ball. Looks ok to me, a bit of sharpening and colour adjustment and this was the result

Posted Image

D200 + SB600 flash, f11, 1/4 sec, 18-70mm zoom at 35mm.

Colour is a bit pink here on the website, the background is a sort of yellowy beige but on my screen the colours are reasonably accurate. Had all sorts of problems getting the flash to work, eventually had to do the shot on automatic set to f11, used tripod for the camera and hand held the flash above the camera. This seemed to work well, I do need to get some practise using the flash with different sorts of subjets particularly using Commander mode. I also have a few spare (old) flashes that I would like to get back into use (an Olympus and a Sunpack) but need flash slave brackets for them.

Good colours both taken by the camera and chosen by the florist. I'd like to see either a zoomed in view emphasizing a pink flower and shadow, or a zoomed out view (rule of thirds) with a more complex bokeh background. Getting the pink flower on the right unobstructed would be good.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edit: Your original looks nicer in high res :)

Edited by Cummings

Good colours both taken by the camera and chosen by the florist. I'd like to see either a zoomed in view emphasizing a pink flower and shadow, or a zoomed out view (rule of thirds) with a more complex bokeh background. Getting the pink flower on the right unobstructed would be good.

Edit: Your original looks nicer in high res :)

interesting comment on complex background, I specifically took it on the plain background for the effect and clarity.

The unJPGed file looks even better... Still I'm happy with the final result given my usual subjects being landscapes.

Been playing around with HDR on some holiday shots taken in Sep/Oct. Think I'm getting the hang of it but still not sure. These are all RAW shots processed in CS4, saved as 16 bit tiffs then turned into 8 bit jpgs and saved. Each thumbnail below should gave a fullish sized (but not full sized) photo behind it. Hopefully the links will all work and happy to have criticisms posted or suggestions.

3 Night shots of the Notre Dame in Paris.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A beautiful small church in St Andre de Chalencon in the Auvergne with a spectacularly blue window behind the altar.

Posted Image

3 inside shots of the St Severin church in the 5th Arondissement in Paris.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

some more to come...

Edited by MandoTiM

...and the balance

3 shots inside the Le Puy Cathedral, not sure of these, couldn't quite get the effect I was after.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

One of the larger churches in Figeac,

Posted Image

and a smaller more interesting Roman church in the city of Clermont Ferrand, not the main cathedral, which is interesting but very black.

Posted Image

Up on the Sunshine Coast this weekend, wasn't terribly sunny on the Saturday but improved on Xmas day. Tropical Low off the coast and king tides combined to see some great waves and high tides, the following couple of showing just how high the water went. Those that know the coast will wonder why the hinterland wasn't flooded...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(sorry, on my portable without proper image manipulation so I haven't used thumbnails and the site's automatic image thingy doesn't seem to be working...)

finally edited 5th August, 2012, now have to create the thumbnails...

Edited by MandoTiM

A couple of shots from the last few seconds of today's Tour Down Under (Stage 5) at the top of Wilunga Hill. Fortunate enough to get there again this year and these are (I think) the best of them in a sequence as the first 2 fight it out over the line.

Posted Image[

Posted Image[

Posted Image[

Go Greenedge....